We Should not Overpay For Tank

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I get it, I get it. He does more than just sack the QB.

But he's got a proven track record of declined production once the second half of the season rolls around.

Whether it be injuries, fatigue, etc. - the dude comes up short when the season REALLY matters.

I want him on the team, for sure. But if he wants $20million+/yr or $50million+ guaranteed, we should let him walk.

Cannibal_Cowboy

Reaction score
I get it, I get it. He does more than just sack the QB.

But he's got a proven track record of declined production once the second half of the season rolls around.

Whether it be injuries, fatigue, etc. - the dude comes up short when the season REALLY matters.

I want him on the team, for sure. But if he wants $20million+/yr or $50million+ guaranteed, we should let him walk.
You do realize Tank is THE pass rush, there are no others. You really want to roll into next year with Crawford, Gregory, Taco and Armstrong????
:facepalm:

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
You do realize Tank is THE pass rush, there are no others. You really want to roll into next year with Crawford, Gregory, Taco and Armstrong????
:facepalm:
I'd like to have someone who can apply consistent pressure throughout the season. Not just tear up September/October, and then disappear.

It might be that he needs more talent around him, possibly. But the stat and eye tests don't lie - he is not the same player later in the year.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
17 mil a year makes him a top paid de. They dont need to give him more than that.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
If we cut everyone we could sign new guys with less talent for more money
Sign what new guys? Elite pass rushers don’t grow on trees and to get one you have to pull a Khalil Mack trade or draft one. If you let Lawrence go he’s the best pass rusher on the market end it’s not close.

Creeper

Reaction score
It's estimated that we have $50million+ in available cap. But that can/will be expanded with the 2019 bump, plus releases/restructures.

We have about $48 million cap space assuming the cap is $189 million. Its been estimated to increase to between $187 million and $191 million so there is a possibility they have $50 million. They can make more room if needed with a few cuts or restructures.

The Cowboys do have a few free agents including Beasley, who I would like to re-sign, DLaw, and David Irving who would be committing felony theft if he asks for anything over league minimum.

DLaw is the only defensive lineman they have who can make a difference in a game. If they don;t sign him they have a big problem. Where would their pass rush come from? Taco, who can't decide if he wants to play? or Gregory? This team is so close it would be a shame if they mess it up now. Remember the OL they have in 2016? The let Leary go and they haven't been the same since despite having Martin, Frederick (last year) and Smith. Free agents cost money but what they pay him now won't look that bad in 3 years.

conner01

Reaction score
Sign what new guys? Elite pass rushers don’t grow on trees and to get one you have to pull a Khalil Mack trade or draft one. If you let Lawrence go he’s the best pass rusher on the market end it’s not close.
There is no pass rusher of Dlaws talent gonna hit the market because teams value them too much
And Dlaw is not hitting the market either

links18

Reaction score
You shouldn't overpay for anyone or anything, but often whether or not you overpaid for something can only be known retrospectively.