We still need several positions

mperfection

Reaction score
FS = Earl Thomas
MLB = Navarro Bowman
1 Tech DT = ??
WR = With Williams in limbo, bring back Dez on a 1 yr deal? Would LOVE to see the trio of Dez, Hurns, and Gallup on the field together!

Thomas and Bowman would add invaluable veteran leadership to this team, not to mention a talented and physical presence to the defense. LVE needs to be brought along slowly @ MLB, and Bowman is the man to start the season there.

It’s bothersome that the team couldn’t close the deal with Terrell McClsin, especially since they targeted him and he already had a history with the team. I’m tired of us being a day late and a dollar short on some of these deals.

With the draft that we had (all but 1 of our draft picks have a legitimate shot at making the team), our free agent/trade acquisitions, as well as the distinct possibility of Randy Gregory not only coming back but making a meaningful contribution to the defense, and what we could have is a legitimate contender for the SB.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Seems they don’t want to spend much money. Or don’t want to over pay.

T-Will may end up being cut after his latest problems. Foot surgery and now trouble with wrecking his car and being drunk. He could have been on the bubble depending on how well the rookies do in camps.

John813

Reaction score
Y'all are dreaming about Bowman.

We prefer the youth method on building the team, via the draft. We just drafted a MLB in round 1. Bowman prefers the Bay Area. Bowman, before the draft, saw himself as a 3 down LB and his pay demands were as such.
Right now, our starters are Lee, LVE, Smith in the base and Lee and TBD in the nickel.
We have so-so depth at LB with Wilson, Thomas, Covington and some UDFAs.

Bowman wanted out when the 49ers wanted Foster to get more playing time. How do you think he'll react when the FO here wants the young guys in Smith and LVE to seize every opportunity in getting playing time and becoming quality starters.

Source for frustration over less PT:
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21012653/san-francisco-49ers-release-linebacker-navorro-bowman
The wheels began spinning on a possible Bowman departure last week when Shanahan told him of the team's plan to begin limiting his snaps in games. That played itself out last Sunday against Indianapolis when Bowman played 58 of 76 defensive plays, well short of his usual full workload in which he rarely comes off the field.

After that game, Bowman voiced his frustration to reporters, acknowledging that he did not like the decision to get him extra rest and repeatedly saying "I don't know" when asked if he at least understood the rationale behind it.

I think the Thomas trade talks are dead for now. Seattle wanted a 1st or 2nd+ for him and balked on the 3rd round pick in the immediate draft. I doubt their demands right now are at or lower than a 3rd in the 2019 draft. We'll see when TC rolls around and if ET shows up or gets his money from Seattle.

Dez ain't coming back.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
Seems they don’t want to spend much money. Or don’t want to over pay.

T-Will may end up being cut after his latest problems. Foot surgery and now trouble with wrecking his car and being drunk. He could have been on the bubble depending on how well the rookies do in camps.

T-Will's salary of 3.5m this season is fully guaranteed, plus there is 3,750,000 left from his bonus received last year that would still have to be accounted for. If we cut him now his cap hit this season is aprox 7.2m, unless we make him a post June 1st cut and split that amount over 2 seasons. With his 3.5m salary for this season fully guarnateed i don't see JJ cutting him

Sandyf

Reaction score
FS = Earl Thomas
MLB = Navarro Bowman
1 Tech DT = ??
WR = With Williams in limbo, bring back Dez on a 1 yr deal? Would LOVE to see the trio of Dez, Hurns, and Gallup on the field together!

Thomas and Bowman would add invaluable veteran leadership to this team, not to mention a talented and physical presence to the defense. LVE needs to be brought along slowly @ MLB, and Bowman is the man to start the season there.

It’s bothersome that the team couldn’t close the deal with Terrell McClsin, especially since they targeted him and he already had a history with the team. I’m tired of us being a day late and a dollar short on some of these deals.

With the draft that we had (all but 1 of our draft picks have a legitimate shot at making the team), our free agent/trade acquisitions, as well as the distinct possibility of Randy Gregory not only coming back but making a meaningful contribution to the defense, and what we could have is a legitimate contender for the SB.
Wouldn't mind Earl Thomas although a bit leery of the amount of money he wants especially turning 30 this year. Will say getting Thomas could make the defense elite though.

The LB positions are filled plus Bowman says he wants to stay on the West Coast, that ship seems to have sailed. Probably going to have both draft picks make it and maybe a UDFA.

As fans we have to get over the 1 tech spot because Marinelli and Dallas just do not value it anywhere near what we fans believe. We basically use two 3 techs in the middle, like it or not.

The ship has sailed on Dez permanently, depending on the Williams story he released he could stay or go but thought he would be on PUP anyway then IR so no loss. Wouldn't be surprised to see the 6 WRs be Hurns, Gallup, Beasley, Brown, Wilson and Thompson/Cannon.

If Gregory does get back on the field and we do get Thomas, the defense should rank easily top 5. How Elliott plays with better focus and seeing if Dak improves are the keys on offense.

glimmerman

Reaction score
T-Will's salary of 3.5m this season is fully guaranteed, plus there is 3,750,000 left from his bonus received last year that would still have to be accounted for. If we cut him now his cap hit this season is aprox 7.2m, unless we make him a post June 1st cut and split that amount over 2 seasons. With his 3.5m salary for this season fully guarnateed i don't see JJ cutting him
Great. Well if he was arrested then goodell will suspend him for a few games.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
FS = Earl Thomas
MLB = Navarro Bowman
1 Tech DT = ??

Bowman would play less than 50% of snaps here. He would play against the run but not in Nickel/Dime. He would be too expensive for that role.

McClain never made it through a season healthy. He was good when 100% healthy but even when he didn't miss games his play was poor when playing through an injury.

If Collins is out to start the season, they are actually thin at 3tech more than 1tech. The second 3tech plays as many or more snaps as the top 1tech.

General Snap % (200% total for 2 positions)
3tech #1, 60%
1tech #1, 60%
3tech #2, 60%
4th DT, 20%

Collins played both 1tech and 3tech.

These players all were capable or better at 1tech:
Price
Datone Jones
Ash

At 3tech without Collins:
Irving
Move a DE to 3tech (Crawford, Taco. Ealy)
Jihad Ward?

It would be fun to have Earl Thomas, especially with Kris Richard here; however, giving up premium picks AND paying big money for the same player is not a great team building move.

Last season they replaced the entire secondary and it worked out really well. The CBs were an upgrade and the Safeties were not worse despite being cheaper.

They can sign Earl Thomas next year without giving up premium picks. It seems that he will not get a new contract this year unless he is traded which seems unlikely at this point.

With Kris Richard here and Texas being his home state, Dallas will be his top choice as a free agent.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Y'all are dreaming about Bowman.

We prefer the youth method on building the team, via the draft. We just drafted a MLB in round 1. Bowman prefers the Bay Area. Bowman, before the draft, saw himself as a 3 down LB and his pay demands were as such.
Right now, our starters are Lee, LVE, Smith in the base and Lee and TBD in the nickel.
We have so-so depth at LB with Wilson, Thomas, Covington and some UDFAs.

Bowman wanted out when the 49ers wanted Foster to get more playing time. How do you think he'll react when the FO here wants the young guys in Smith and LVE to seize every opportunity in getting playing time and becoming quality starters.

Source for frustration over less PT:
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21012653/san-francisco-49ers-release-linebacker-navorro-bowman
The wheels began spinning on a possible Bowman departure last week when Shanahan told him of the team's plan to begin limiting his snaps in games. That played itself out last Sunday against Indianapolis when Bowman played 58 of 76 defensive plays, well short of his usual full workload in which he rarely comes off the field.

After that game, Bowman voiced his frustration to reporters, acknowledging that he did not like the decision to get him extra rest and repeatedly saying "I don't know" when asked if he at least understood the rationale behind it.

I think the Thomas trade talks are dead for now. Seattle wanted a 1st or 2nd+ for him and balked on the 3rd round pick in the immediate draft. I doubt their demands right now are at or lower than a 3rd in the 2019 draft. We'll see when TC rolls around and if ET shows up or gets his money from Seattle.

Dez ain't coming back.

At this point Bowman is not good against the pass.

He is a run down type player.

There were/are run down type LBs available for low cost contracts.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

The bonus was already paid. That hit the cap at some point with or without the player on the team.

The issue is the guaranteed salary of 3.5M.

He was injured in a non-football accident. If he can't pass a physical before game 1, they could avoid paying part of the 3.5M salary; however, it seems unlikely that his broken foot would be a problem by then.

They could try to give (trade) him to another team. His stats are good enough that he could have some value to another team, especially a team that has a WR injured in training camp. The 3.5M would be paid by the new team and that is realitively cheap for a WR with his stats as a starter considering how much average WRs were getting in free agency.

He would have to be 100% healthy for a trade (give away) to be possible.

jday

Reaction score
FS = Earl Thomas
MLB = Navarro Bowman
1 Tech DT = ??

1. "Need" is a relative term that tends be overused, especially among fans. "Want" is probably the word you were looking for. The Cowboys can win with what they have on the roster as it stands, so "need" doesn't really factor into it.
2. Your point on McClain assumes alot. They weren't "late" at all; they had McClain in for a visit before Atlanta and Atlanta being the latest to the party still ended up signing him. Since your guessing, I'll guess too: McClain chose Atlanta because he felt he had a better chance of getting a Super Bowl ring there...hard to blame him...but that doesn't necessarily mean he chose wisely.
3. Thomas and Bowman would also be progress-stoppers, since they would be eating up the majority of starter snaps in training camp, at practice during the week and as starters during the game. I suspect that's what the Cowboys FO thinks, as well.
4. Your "bring back Dez" comments are somewhat understandable on the surface, I guess, but I suspect Terrence Williams had one foot foot out the door before this weekend's news. Granted, it cost more to cut him this year, but his cap penalty is not so prohibitive that it prevents them from doing anything because the only thing they need to do with the cap is get Zach and DLaw signed eventually and that will save them money initially, so cutting TWill won't hurt them.
5. I want a 1-tech, as well, but as long as Marinelli is DC, we aren't getting one unless one with 3-tech abilities drops in our lap. And we won't really "need" one unless Sean Lee get's hurt.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
The bonus was already paid. That hit the cap at some point with or without the player on the team.

The issue is the guaranteed salary of 3.5M.

He was injured in a non-football accident. If he can't pass a physical before game 1, they could avoid paying part of the 3.5M salary; however, it seems unlikely that his broken foot would be a problem by then.

They could try to give (trade) him to another team. His stats are good enough that he could have some value to another team, especially a team that has a WR injured in training camp. The 3.5M would be paid by the new team and that is realitively cheap for a WR with his stats as a starter considering how much average WRs were getting in free agency.

He would have to be 100% healthy for a trade (give away) to be possible.
yes the bonus was paid but as far as cap implications it is spread out over the term of the contract

Mr_437

Reaction score
TWill isn't getting cut IMO...his situation isn't enough to cause that, especially considering his clean history.

Earl Thomas is a possibility, but chances are getting slimmer by th day.

1Tech? They don't care about that.

Drafting LV ended Bowman discussion.

erod

Reaction score
They didn't draft LVE to sign Bowman.

I think they are working on the Earl Thomas acquisition.

1 tech is a problem. Terrell McClain really surprised them when he didn't sign. He wants a ring.

They don't want Dez anywhere near the team anymore.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No vet player will be signed or traded for. No vet FA will be signed. At least until after OTA's and mini camp. And most likely not even until a week or 2 into TC.

They will roll with the current roster. Other than churning a few UDFA's, or players retained from the PS. They need to see what they have and where to play some of them, and how to line them up.

tm1119

Reaction score
Tre Boston
Jonathan Hankins
Kevin Minter or Gerald Hodges

Minter or Hodges I think you can sign very cheap to be a backup LB. Both have some starting experience and would improve the overall depth of the LB’s.

Hankins and Boston I think each could play a fairly significant part time role for us. I’d try to structure a deal like this...
-$100K for signing and showing up to camp
-$3M if they make the 53
-another $2M available in incenstives based on playing time

Of course Im aware there’s next to 0% chance we sign any of those guys...

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Tre Boston
Jonathan Hankins
Kevin Minter or Gerald Hodges

Minter or Hodges I think you can sign very cheap to be a backup LB. Both have some starting experience and would improve the overall depth of the LB’s.

Hankins and Boston I think each could play a fairly significant part time role for us. I’d try to structure a deal like this...
-$100K for signing and showing up to camp
-$3M if they make the 53
-another $2M available in incenstives based on playing time

Of course Im aware there’s next to 0% chance we sign any of those guys...

I could see the LB's, but not until TC starts, as I posted above.
But they do have a few LB's I think they want to see what they have in them 1st.

We have Lee, Jaylon, LVE and Wilson. Then for the last 2 spots, Covington but need to see him on the field. Then they have March-Lillard they brought up from the PS late last season, and seen they seemed to like him. Also another LB with 4.55 speed and I think some side, in Tre'von Johnson may step up and take a spot.

they also have a S in Quieiro they had a LB in rookie camp, and 2 DE's that also are listed as LB's.

so right now I think they will look at all of these. But I am for bringing these guys in for a look, since they do have experience.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dreams are free so dream on my fellow Cowboy fans!
But when reality hits don't say we didn't tell you so.
We need the following,

1.QB
2.DT
3.SS and FS
4.Def End unless Taco wake's up this coming season.
5.LB as Jaylon still up in the maybe cloud and Lee has the injury bug.
6.No 1 WR to demand double coverage.
7.TE
8. Shut down CB

There's a upside here as were young and some will grow and reality as bad as it might get will at least put us finally on the right road to success!

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Dreams are free so dream on my fellow Cowboy fans!
But when reality hits don't say we didn't tell you so.
We need the following,

1.QB
2.DT
3.SS and FS
4.Def End unless Taco wake's up this coming season.
5.LB as Jaylon still up in the maybe cloud and Lee has the injury bug.
6.No 1 WR to demand double coverage.
7.TE
8. Shut down CB

There's a upside here as were young and some will grow and reality as bad as it might get will at least put us finally on the right road to success!

Don't necessarily disagree we "need" the players you noted, AT THIS TIME. But the Cowboys don't and didn't have cap space to sign a ton of top free agents, so whether they
need them or not, you are looking to the future. But taking your list:
1. QB. Only 2 years here, one year was great, too early to throw him on the trash heap.
2. DT. If most of the guys can remain healthy, a rotation of very good players can be just as effective as a line with one great player and a bunch average guys. Not saying getting a Vea or Suh or such wouldn't have been great, but they didn't get one of those.
3. SS and FS. As you noted, there are several young guys, too early to know what they will do.
4. DE. You have a 14.5 sack guy, and Taco did improve during the year. There are SIX others on the roster. I guess you're not one of the "Armstrong is much better than a 4th rounder" guys (as I'm not at this time), but Ealy has had success before, Jones is experienced, and Tapper has all the physical tools, just hasn't been able to stay healthy, but supposedly he's ready to go this year.
5. LB. Vander Esch could be a great player, has the tools, he's not even gotten on the field, can't just dismiss him out of hand.
6. No. 1 WR. With you there, lots of unproven players, none have ever set the league on fire.
7. TE. According to some, Witten was worthless, surely either Swaim or another tight end could be better. They've never been starters, must have some upside or they'd have been released.
8. Shut down CB. Precious few of those in the NFL, most teams need one of those, but that doesn't stop other teams from being SB contenders.

I just think the talent on this team is better than average, not sure about the coaching of course, and young guys do tend to be up and down during the seasonj.

But I'm not an NFL talent scout, just a fan who would rather expect a good season than to tear down the existing team in most areas....