We struggled running and stopping the run, but did nothing to fix it!

foofighters

Reaction score
What hope do we have to believe that this will somehow fix itself? Bringing back Zeke, bringing in Zim? Running back by committee, signing Kendricks? Yet I bet I'm Jerry's mind we're all in and on the bath to another Superbowl run, please give your thoughts
Yet, aren't our players, "too good?"

RonnieT24

Reaction score
The bottom line is that the Cowboys, in bringing back Zeke have indicated that they are interested in going back to a run game formula that worked pretty well for them for several years.. Hammer 'em with Zeke, then when they get tired of tackling that hoss, slice 'em up with the change of pace quick back. That formula let them run for almost 2300 yards in '22. And that was even with Tyron missing a ton of games, Jason Peters having to play meaningful snaps, a rookie LT all season, Steele missing the last 4-5 games and both primary backs missing time with injury and playing hurt. I don't think this year's line will be near as bad as folks are making it out to be and I refuse to believe Zeke can't give us more than what Pollard did last year. Maybe not a ton more yards but TDs? Absolutely.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
I disagree that he's trying. Trying would be along the lines of getting people in here who understand NFL football and let them make the decisions. Insisting on a GM who is terrible at player evaluations and team building is the opposite of trying.
Add in the fact that he just lets these contracts hang out there while not really implementing any plan is not trying...Trying would have been having a plan on these contracts right after the season and acting on it so you could actually build the team with or without those contract players..he did neither and here we are sitting in a stagnant pool of water next to the flowing river the other good FO's are running in. its minblowing how this happens to him all the time.

coult44

Reaction score
What hope do we have to believe that this will somehow fix itself? Bringing back Zeke, bringing in Zim? Running back by committee, signing Kendricks? Yet I bet I'm Jerry's mind we're all in and on the bath to another Superbowl run, please give your thoughts
This one I disagree with. I think we brought in a great run stopping LB, but more importantly brought in a coach who is going to utilize Micah, OV, and Damone in a way to stop the run that DQ never would have.

sbark

Reaction score
That's football man.. A rookie can't fumble in that situation. Remember Zeke's rookie year when he fumbled at a particularly inopportune time against the Ratscums in week two? They even sat HIS butt down for a while after that. And wasn't Luepke's fumble against the Dolphins in like the next to last game of the season? It's not like they froze him out for 8 weeks. He needs to do better ..
Was a entire thread on it....50% +/- blamed it on dak..

Chasing6

Reaction score
Dak just has to overcome that like Mahomes does. Oh wait never mind KC can stop the run.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Was a entire thread on it....50% +/- blamed it on dak..
Well on the official stat sheet it goes down as a fumble for Dak not Luepke because until the RB possesses the ball it is official in possession of the QB. But if you watch the play you can (usually) see when it's the back's fault vs the QB. You can see if the RB never closes his pocket or if he never opens it up enough to receive the ball or if the QB never places the ball all the way in the back's belly. Luepke deployed his arms incorrectly on that play. His right arm never comes all the way across his chest and is never low enough to create a pocket to receive the ball. Instead he keeps his right hand very close to his left arm so the ball essentially ends up being handed under his right hand/arm. No matter what the statistician says that was on the RB. Dak put the ball right into his chest which is as it should be. I'm an old running back and in most cases I would happily defend the RB and blame the QB, but in this case, it was the RB who messed up.

lukemartin79

Reaction score
The bottom line is that the Cowboys, in bringing back Zeke have indicated that they are interested in going back to a run game formula that worked pretty well for them for several years.. Hammer 'em with Zeke, then when they get tired of tackling that hoss, slice 'em up with the change of pace quick back. That formula let them run for almost 2300 yards in '22. And that was even with Tyron missing a ton of games, Jason Peters having to play meaningful snaps, a rookie LT all season, Steele missing the last 4-5 games and both primary backs missing time with injury and playing hurt. I don't think this year's line will be near as bad as folks are making it out to be and I refuse to believe Zeke can't give us more than what Pollard did last year. Maybe not a ton more yards but TDs? Absolutely.
I agree with you there, all those short yardage goal line situations where they just couldn't punch it in to start last season is where I believe Zeke will help most. The man has that nose for the End Zone. That really hurt the Cowboys last season.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
This one I disagree with. I think we brought in a great run stopping LB, but more importantly brought in a coach who is going to utilize Micah, OV, and Damone in a way to stop the run that DQ never would have.
We don't have big bodies to keep those guys clean

GINeric

Reaction score
My thoughts exactly

Run game has big issues
OL is going to be worse
Poor RB room
OL coach is clueless

Run defense will be better
Better LBs
Better DC for stopping the run

And the sad thing is the person who will get blamed does not control or play any of those positions....

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Jerry has decided to do nothing for the team this year, out of spite for the GB loss.

What a childishly, pathetic way for any GM to respond to his own failures!

Then, he wonders why his team's fans always seem to complain.

Here's a man who has no business owning this team.

Last edited:

kskboys

Reaction score
I don’t disagree that there are better options out there, my point was to push against people insinuating the FO isn’t trying. “What more could he do” in reference to bases he hasn’t yet touched.

He did touch RB, he did touch Oline, he did touch interior Dline and interior LB corps and more run D-minded coaching. Jerry is absolutely trying to fix these specific issues, it’s just that the decisions may not be the strongest ones he could have made.
I don't consider what he does "trying". If he were trying to fix these issues, he would not have drafted Schooner in the 2nd last year. Obtaining cheap FA's and JAG's and throwing late round picks at players is not trying to fix it.

Jerry is absolutely not trying to fix these issues. Because he doesn't understand how.

kskboys

Reaction score
Presume you hint at Luepke

The drive he fumbled on, prior to that he had several 1st down runs
Announcers called it the Luepke drive

In the Dallas fuedal hierarchy caste system.... he then didnt get another carry all season.
Lincoln Coleman!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kskboys

Reaction score
That's football man.. A rookie can't fumble in that situation. Remember Zeke's rookie year when he fumbled at a particularly inopportune time against the Ratscums in week two? They even sat HIS butt down for a while after that. And wasn't Luepke's fumble against the Dolphins in like the next to last game of the season? It's not like they froze him out for 8 weeks. He needs to do better ..
Disagree. Rooks fumble all the time. You don't shut a rook down because of 1 fumble. That's assinine!!!!!!!!!!

Chasing6

Reaction score
Presume you hint at Luepke

The drive he fumbled on, prior to that he had several 1st down runs
Announcers called it the Luepke drive

In the Dallas fuedal hierarchy caste system.... he then didnt get another carry all season.
100% correct!!!

How come our Coaching Staff apparently had no idea who Ferguson was that resulted in is drafting Schionmaker to begin with?

We could have drafted O'Cyrus and then told Martin to pound sand during his holdout.

kskboys

Reaction score
100% correct!!!

How come our Coaching Staff apparently had no idea who Ferguson was that resulted in is drafting Schionmaker to begin with?

We could have drafted O'Cyrus and then told Martin to pound sand during his holdout.
How in the world did this entire site know that Fergie was more than adequate and Jerry didn't?