CFZ We’ve had an okay draft but here’s the real negative and it’s gonna hurt

XXLMike

Reaction score
All three of the guys that we drafted are nice additions but none of them change our team.

The eagles and giants, drafted attacking football players - two of our three guys were drafted to stop their already potent quarterbacks and speed in the backfield.

We have not drafted anybody that’s going to change the game that’s going to drive play that’s going to make their defense worry about.

Our draft is based on our opponents assets. We’re worried about them, but they’re not worried about us. That’s a Losing formula in any sport it doesn’t matter.

Brandin Cooks isn’t changing anything.

We are still a slow plodding offense- with very little running back depth very little offensive line, depth, and very little quality at receiver.

And I hate to say it, but the Giants killed this draft already incredible;

We are quickly behind the 8 ball as the Eagles are clearly better and the NYG even .

We whiffed in Free Agency again and did not close any gaps on Philly .

The picks: John Michael Schmitz, C, Minnesota (No. 57); Jalin Hyatt, WR, Tennessee (No. 73)

The Giants landed my top-ranked center in Schmitz late in Round 2. That's a steal. He fills an immediate need. I was surprised he lasted that long.

They followed that by trading up 16 spots to snag Hyatt, giving up No. 128 in the process. Hyatt is a speedster who can be a deep threat out of the slot, though he needs to refine his route running. He's my fifth-ranked wideout, and I thought he could have snuck into the first round for the right team. What a draft the Giants are having. I also really liked cornerback Deonte Banks on Thursday. They have come out of the first two days with three of my top 45 prospects.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
All three of the guys that we drafted are nice additions but none of them change our team.

The eagles and giants, drafted attacking football players - two of our three guys were drafted to stop their already potent quarterbacks and speed in the backfield.

We have not drafted anybody that’s going to change the game that’s going to drive play that’s going to make their defense worry about.

Our draft is based on our opponents assets. We’re worried about them, but they’re not worried about us. That’s a Losing formula in any sport it doesn’t matter.

We are still a slow plodding offense- with very little running back depth very little offensive line, depth, and very little quality at receiver.

We are quickly behind the 8 ball as the Eagles are clearly better and the NYG even .

The picks: John Michael Schmitz, C, Minnesota (No. 57); Jalin Hyatt, WR, Tennessee (No. 73)

The Giants landed my top-ranked center in Schmitz late in Round 2. That's a steal. He fills an immediate need. I was surprised he lasted that long.

They followed that by trading up 16 spots to snag Hyatt, giving up No. 128 in the process. Hyatt is a speedster who can be a deep threat out of the slot, though he needs to refine his route running. He's my fifth-ranked wideout, and I thought he could have snuck into the first round for the right team. What a draft the Giants are having. I also really liked cornerback Deonte Banks on Thursday. They have come out of the first two days with three of my top 45 prospects.
Well.....it won't change it on Madden....but, it will on a real field.

Sydla

Reaction score

Hyatt is overrated by many here

BoyzBlaster

Reaction score
Great points. For those of you old enough to remember Seth Joyner, I watched a video of him this morning talking about the impact the 3 defensive players they drafted will have, particularly on their front/pass rush. Suffice to say it was very depressing......

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
We definitely addressed the few flaws we had on defense. But they are rookies so it might take a year or two to take effect.

Our biggest flaws were a big NT, another starting CB and some LB depth. And we addressed them all in the draft and free agency.

I can’t say the same about offense. We didn’t really improve at the skill positions, but we didn’t really get worse. OL doesn’t have much depth though, so the success of the offense rests heavily on the health of the OL.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
Yeah, we did nothing? Gilmore and Cooks are very good additions. People are so worried about OL, but if everyone is healthy the starters are solid. Smith, Smith, Biadasz, Martin and Steele are a solid 5. The issue is depth and we should still be able to get a contributor on OL coming up. RB is just not a big deal anymore. If you have a good OL, just about anyone can succeed in the run game. I am not loving the Rd 2 or 3 picks, but I can wait and see. There are several draft guys that love the LB. Pretty much everyone agrees that TE pick was a reach where taken.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The bottom line is have you potentially made your team better. I would grade us as follows
Defense was B. Now A-
Offense was B- Now B-

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
Yeah, we did nothing? Gilmore and Cooks are very good additions. People are so worried about OL, but if everyone is healthy the starters are solid. Smith, Smith, Biadasz, Martin and Steele are a solid 5. The issue is depth and we should still be able to get a contributor on OL coming up. RB is just not a big deal anymore. If you have a good OL, just about anyone can succeed in the run game. I am not loving the Rd 2 or 3 picks, but I can wait and see. There are several draft guys that love the LB. Pretty much everyone agrees that TE pick was a reach where taken.
The starting OL is solid but we really can’t afford a single injury. Last year we had 2 solid backups. And we can’t expect everyone to stay healthy, especially given Tyron and Steele’s histories. I don’t know if we’ll find it in the draft at this point. Maybe a post-draft veteran signing or two can give us the depth we need.

ghst187

Reaction score
Mazi changes the team the minutes he steps on the field. Best run stopping DT the Cowboys have had in years.

Schoonmaker makes the run blocking better (remember they want to run more) plus is a good receiver.
I’ll be utterly shocked if he’s better than Hankins, ever.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
Mazi totally changes the defense.
+1.

The Cowboys team I watched last year regularly got blown 4 yards back on run plays to the point where LVE was dodging blockers just to make tackles on 7 yard runs. Teams were able to have time consuming drives at inopportune times simply by power running. Hankins helped that but he isn't on the field more than 1/3 of the time and when he came off, the problems came back.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Love the giants draft but needed a lot. A WR doesnt scare me when Jones is throwing to him. the Center I wanted.

Eagles are ridiculous.

We definitely drafted difference makers. Our first two picks right away. 3rd rounder maybe in a year.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
The starting OL is solid but we really can’t afford a single injury. Last year we had 2 solid backups. And we can’t expect everyone to stay healthy, especially given Tyron and Steele’s histories. I don’t know if we’ll find it in the draft at this point. Maybe a post-draft veteran signing or two can give us the depth we need.
Team seems to like Farniok and Waletzko but that definitely is nothing proven.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
Love the giants draft but needed a lot. A WR doesnt scare me when Jones is throwing to him. the Center I wanted.

Eagles are ridiculous.

We definitely drafted difference makers. Our first two picks right away. 3rd rounder maybe in a year.
I don't think you understand the meaning of "difference maker" as it relates to Rd 2 pick for sure.