CFZ We’ve had an okay draft but here’s the real negative and it’s gonna hurt

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
All three of the guys that we drafted are nice additions but none of them change our team.

The eagles and giants, drafted attacking football players - two of our three guys were drafted to stop their already potent quarterbacks and speed in the backfield.

We have not drafted anybody that’s going to change the game that’s going to drive play that’s going to make their defense worry about.

Our draft is based on our opponents assets. We’re worried about them, but they’re not worried about us. That’s a Losing formula in any sport it doesn’t matter.

Brandin Cooks isn’t changing anything.

We are still a slow plodding offense- with very little running back depth very little offensive line, depth, and very little quality at receiver.

And I hate to say it, but the Giants killed this draft already incredible;

We are quickly behind the 8 ball as the Eagles are clearly better and the NYG even .

We whiffed in Free Agency again and did not close any gaps on Philly .

The picks: John Michael Schmitz, C, Minnesota (No. 57); Jalin Hyatt, WR, Tennessee (No. 73)

The Giants landed my top-ranked center in Schmitz late in Round 2. That's a steal. He fills an immediate need. I was surprised he lasted that long.

They followed that by trading up 16 spots to snag Hyatt, giving up No. 128 in the process. Hyatt is a speedster who can be a deep threat out of the slot, though he needs to refine his route running. He's my fifth-ranked wideout, and I thought he could have snuck into the first round for the right team. What a draft the Giants are having. I also really liked cornerback Deonte Banks on Thursday. They have come out of the first two days with three of my top 45 prospects.
That’s what I’m saying.

We’re having a nice draft for nuts and bolts type players but none of these guys are changing a dang thing around here.

Kumbaya

Reaction score
All three of the guys that we drafted are nice additions but none of them change our team.

The eagles and giants, drafted attacking football players - two of our three guys were drafted to stop their already potent quarterbacks and speed in the backfield.

We have not drafted anybody that’s going to change the game that’s going to drive play that’s going to make their defense worry about.

Our draft is based on our opponents assets. We’re worried about them, but they’re not worried about us. That’s a Losing formula in any sport it doesn’t matter.

Brandin Cooks isn’t changing anything.

We are still a slow plodding offense- with very little running back depth very little offensive line, depth, and very little quality at receiver.

And I hate to say it, but the Giants killed this draft already incredible;

We are quickly behind the 8 ball as the Eagles are clearly better and the NYG even .

We whiffed in Free Agency again and did not close any gaps on Philly .

The picks: John Michael Schmitz, C, Minnesota (No. 57); Jalin Hyatt, WR, Tennessee (No. 73)

The Giants landed my top-ranked center in Schmitz late in Round 2. That's a steal. He fills an immediate need. I was surprised he lasted that long.

They followed that by trading up 16 spots to snag Hyatt, giving up No. 128 in the process. Hyatt is a speedster who can be a deep threat out of the slot, though he needs to refine his route running. He's my fifth-ranked wideout, and I thought he could have snuck into the first round for the right team. What a draft the Giants are having. I also really liked cornerback Deonte Banks on Thursday. They have come out of the first two days with three of my top 45 prospects.
If I can try to contain myself with my remarks concerning my team’s draft selections so far….I can’t! I am crying in happiness and thanking God all the time for the smart people we finally now have running my team. No longer do we have good old Boys who were there for years just collecting a paycheck….now we have men and women working hard and wanting to be proud of their labors.

Going into the draft, my prayer request was in this order: CB, C, WR. Prayers answered yes, yes, yes! But as we all know, they still have to prove themselves on the field, so I’m not popping open the bubbly stuff yet. But I do feel 1000% better this off-season than I did after watching the Eagles dominate us in that playoff game. I friggin hate the Eagles and hope both our teams can bloody their noses. You guys did this last year…my boys didn’t. As for this year, I’m sure they will be the favorites again, but it is not a given they will win the East. Let’s see who stays healthy and is coached up the most.

My boys forfeited both their 4th and 5th round picks moving up in the draft so I guess I will have a relaxing day ahead of me today. Happy hunting in rounds 4-7…oh and one more thing…I see some here aren’t happy with some of your picks So far. This I know- Cowboys know how to draft…you have almost always been successful and rewarded for your picks. You should maybe give your scouts and management the benefit of the doubt with some of your players just drafted. I also wish you hadn’t drafted Mazi….I liked running through the middle of your line. I’m afraid that may not be so easy this year.

later,
k

XXLMike

Reaction score
There’s no speed folks - speed kills in every sport .

We have a skinny RB who we’re not sure can carry 20+ times .

The TE from Utah is who we needed .

We also needed an aggressive free agency haul and that didn’t happen.

Add to the NYG added ashaun Robinson which nullifies roookie maz smith .

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
Its more like you dont understand about our 2nd round pick.
The guy is likely at best going to split time with Ferguson and Hendershot. He isn't a dynamic pass catcher, certainly not someone that is going to stretch the field. And most likely a guy that could have been drafted today. When your pro comparison is Drew Sample hard to expect much.

He is basically a good blocking TE that can get a little separation but will get no YAC. Sounds like a lot of guys that we have had. In today's NFL, you need a TE that can make some plays downfield. It is why they let Schultz walk. No point in paying a guy 13m that isn't a difference maker.

freemanjc19

Reaction score

Here is news for you. There has never been a draft picked that has put the team over the top!

Dalmations202

Reaction score
For once, I think Dallas is better, and maybe significantly better, but it still remains to be seen.

Dallas hopefully fixed it biggest need on D. Mazi and Hankins should stop the run/control up the middle. Adding a Overshown to give Parsons a break every now and again could allow this D to step up another level, and they didn't have far to go.

The offense so far has added a blocking TE with some receiving skills. I think it should have been IOL first. With that said, hopefully the professionals they hired are better than us amateurs that watch a little tape and think we know it. They have picked players that fill needs this draft whether people see it or not.

The offense line has Smith, Smith, Steele, Martin, Biadasz (5 we know can play) -- Edoga, Farinok, Bell, Waletzko, Hoffman, Taylor -- all 300lb + : can none of them develop?

If Dallas picks up a IOL, a QB, a RB and the highest upside player (hopefully FB) I will have to give them Kudos for drafting better than I thought they could. They will have knocked it out of the park. They haven't drafted the players I thought, but they have drafted the positions.

For those who say the offense hasn't gotten better -- how do you know when they are going to a different offense, more WCO. Just that change in itself might make the offense quite a bit better.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score

Yes, because Robinson and Mazi will be playing against each other? Don't be dumb.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
The guy is likely at best going to split time with Ferguson and Hendershot. He isn't a dynamic pass catcher, certainly not someone that is going to stretch the field. And most likely a guy that could have been drafted today. When your pro comparison is Drew Sample hard to expect much.

He is basically a good blocking TE that can get a little separation but will get no YAC. Sounds like a lot of guys that we have had. In today's NFL, you need a TE that can make some plays downfield. It is why they let Schultz walk. No point in paying a guy 13m that isn't a difference maker.
Nope, your wrong about that first line completely.

Hes a GREAT blocking TE and runs a 4.6 and can stretch the seams and play all 4 phases well of what they want their TE to do. All you have to do is listen to MM talk about the guy to educate yourself.

He is instantly our best TE. WE werent looking for the next Kelce. Cowboys want to be more of a power football team and they want to play more 2 and 3 TE sets. This guy was the perfect pick for that.

My issue is we didnt address guard.

All your nonsense about how he cant do this or that in the passing game is false.

They let Shultz walk because he couldnt block. They are making a shift in what they want to do with the offense.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Mazi changes the team the minutes he steps on the field. Best run stopping DT the Cowboys have had in years.

Schoonmaker makes the run blocking better (remember they want to run more) plus is a good receiver.
We will be lucky if Mazi is ever as good as Hankins at any point in year 1.

We’ve already seen what a player with his ability does for our defense in Hankins.

What we need is playmakers.

We need guys that can carry Dak Prescott.

Dallas looks like they’ll be the same ole team they always are and get the same ole results.

JohnBoy

Reaction score
Yet the Cowboys have been soundly beating them for multiple seasons now, so why waste draft capital to beat two division rivals that Dallas already 'owns'?

conner01

Reaction score
Mazi totally changes the defense.
I think stopping the run could improve the defense. I don’t think the impact is as high as some do. The titans gave up the least yards rushing last year.
Disrupting the passing game is a much bigger impact.
Scoring does more to stop the run than anything else. If you keep scoring you force teams to stop running
It’s not that I don’t value stopping the run but a run stuffer who does little else is a poor value at 26. I know some say Quinn will make him a stud. In 30 college games he didn’t manage one sack, not a one in 30 games.
Quinn is good but players tend to be what the film says they are. And the film says he holds the gap on run downs. He doesn’t get much penetration or he’d had more plays behind the LOS. Sacks isn’t everything but penetration is important whether you get there or not
We got a freak athlete who hasn’t played like the freak
Maybe Quinn fixes that. I hope he does but that pick set the tone for the draft and I get a real role player vibe about what we’ve dont

conner01

Reaction score
We will be lucky if Mazi is ever as good as Hankins at any point in year 1.

We’ve already seen what a player with his ability does for our defense in Hankins.

What we need is playmakers.

We need guys that can carry Dak Prescott.

Dallas looks like they’ll be the same ole team they always are and get the same ole results.
I don’t get what fans see. I live a big run stuffer. If he can impact the passing game he’s worth a 26 pick. But smith doesn’t impact the pass game. He’s never close to the QB. You’d think in 30 college games he’d had a QB trip over him once. 30 games and not a single sacks is hard to do lol
I know he’s a freak athlete but I don’t see that translate to the field much
He’s a nice player and had he been there at 58 I’d seriously looked. At 26 I want a impact player, a guy that’s gonna be on the field more

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I don’t get what fans see. I live a big run stuffer. If he can impact the passing game he’s worth a 26 pick. But smith doesn’t impact the pass game. He’s never close to the QB. You’d think in 30 college games he’d had a QB trip over him once. 30 games and not a single sacks is hard to do lol
I know he’s a freak athlete but I don’t see that translate to the field much
He’s a nice player and had he been there at 58 I’d seriously looked. At 26 I want a impact player, a guy that’s gonna be on the field more
The Cowboys are building a team that’s built for 1995.

Heck we may draft a fullback in round 4 at this point.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Team seems to like Farniok and Waletzko but that definitely is nothing proven.
And that's the key to this. Do we not think every player on the team has been evaluated for their contribution this year by the coaching staff?

We hear "we like our guys" from the Joneses but what if the coaching staff really does like Farniok and Waletzko causing McClay to think more about a blocking TE since McC has stated they want to run the ball more.

This was a weird draft for the Cowboys because every player I saw associated with them picking came off the board before they had a shot at them. No one saw the RB's coming off like that and then the WR's and TE's started coming off.

And it seemed to fall just right for the Eagles.

lukemartin79

Reaction score
Mazi changes the team the minutes he steps on the field. Best run stopping DT the Cowboys have had in years.

Schoonmaker makes the run blocking better (remember they want to run more) plus is a good receiver.
Exactly, I don't understand how he can say that they don't change the team. Of course they do. I am thrilled they finally addressed the DT position. I would think that's the one thing everybody on this forum could at lest agree on, lol.