CFZ We’ve had an okay draft but here’s the real negative and it’s gonna hurt

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
Nope, your wrong about that first line completely.

Hes a GREAT blocking TE and runs a 4.6 and can stretch the seams and play all 4 phases well of what they want their TE to do. All you have to do is listen to MM talk about the guy to educate yourself.

He is instantly our best TE. WE werent looking for the next Kelce. Cowboys want to be more of a power football team and they want to play more 2 and 3 TE sets. This guy was the perfect pick for that.

My issue is we didnt address guard.

All your nonsense about how he cant do this or that in the passing game is false.

They let Shultz walk because he couldnt block. They are making a shift in what they want to do with the offense.
Every scouting report on the TE says he is not a YAC threat. THey all say he gets after it as a blocker. He only has produced at all for one year. McCarthy is not the only one with an opinion.

From ESPN: Schoonmaker is a possession receiver who has better than average speed to stretch the seam but does the bulk of his work in the short to intermediate zones. He isn't dynamic but shows some burst out of his breaks and does a great job of using his strength and savvy to generate late separation. Schoonmaker has strong hands with a big catch radius and excels catching the ball in traffic. He shows surprisingly good body control to adjust to throws outside his frame, is a good in-line blocker and takes great care of his body. Schoonmaker has some versatility to play multiple roles at the tight end position. -- Final evaluation
From NFL.com: Versatile combination tight end capable of performing a variety of tasks in one-, two- or three-tight end sets. Schoonmaker steps foot on the field ready for action as a run blocker and does a nice job of competing in the entry and sustain phases of the block. He will need to add more muscle and play strength but already has a feel for creating run-lane angles with his footwork. He has the athletic talent to run a slightly expanded route tree, but he needs to do a better job of competing aggressively for catch space and meeting throws with extended hands. He could see action early but might need a year or so before he works himself into a full-time TE2 role.

Weaknesses
  • Fails to impose his size on smaller defenders in coverage.
  • Waits on the throw rather than reaching to attack it.
  • Low rate of success when catching in a crowd.
  • Only able to take what is given after the catch.
  • Below average radar and adjustments as lead blocker.
  • Needs to add additional play strength.
From Bleacher Report:
Luke Schoonmaker is more an idea than a ready-made player, but he has all the tools to grow into a difference-maker.

Schoonmaker's size and athletic traits pop off the screen. At 6'6" and 250 pounds, Schoonmaker is a bit lean, but he has plenty of length and could add weight in the NFL, if he really needs to. Schoonmaker's size looks even scarier when he strides out in space. On seam routes, deep over routes and shallow crossers—all routes that just let him build up speed—Schoonmaker brings a scary combination of size and raw speed. He's at his best on those routes that don't ask him to settle and break, but rather let him stride out in open grass. Those movement skills carry to his ability with the ball in his hands, too. He's no George Kittle, but he has the speed and smooth change of direction to be a consistent YAC generator.

From Athlon: He has a chance to get on the field early in his career, as he is a classic Y-tight end who can be an asset in the run game and in pass protection. He might never put up big receiving numbers, but his blocking gives him a sufficiently high floor.

SO, he has decent speed, but no one thinks he is gonna catch a ton of balls and they all say he isn't a big play threat. Most say he will take some time to contribute at anything outside of a blocking TE.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
#1 scoring offense in football was a B- eh? LOL

Our defense was a A- and now its a A.
Your offense lost a OC who'll have the Chargers firing as a top 3 offense.
However, I'm sure you feel the Mike and Dak show will be better.

so yeah, right now B- and that may be generous :thumbup:

Kumbaya

Reaction score
Yet the Cowboys have been soundly beating them for multiple seasons now, so why waste draft capital to beat two division rivals that Dallas already 'owns'?
Good point…..you own my boys for the past 8 years or so and you do pretty well against Philly….glad Washington is in the conference to keep you humble. Lol

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
Sounds like a smokescreen for "why didn't we draft a stud WR or RB? I want the that flashy player"
What is with the infatuation with what eagles and giants have done acting like that is the only reason why we drafted who we did?

as if we didn't get a game changing guy..... Uhh if we can stop guys from running down our throat like they have been for past two years, that is a game changer!
if we can finally get more than 2 yards a play out of our every down RB, then that is a game changer!

Every team in the league intends to do the same thing and that is improve the obvious weaknesses.

eagles and giants could be in a whole other division and we would of done the same exact thing.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
Your offense lost a OC who'll have the Chargers firing as a top 3 offense.
However, I'm sure you feel the Mike and Dak show will be better.

so yeah, right now B- and that may be generous :thumbup:
Apparently you don't know Kellen Moore

_sturt_

Reaction score
To the premise here...

I don't really care because I'm just persuaded that this is an inferior draft over all, and not just "meh" inferior, but really inferior.

morasp

Reaction score
Bigger Faster Stronger. I'm excited to see what they do today. Other than Parsons I wasn't sure we had guys that would play on the 49ers front seven but I think we added two already. Louis Riddick called Overshown the best pick of day two. "Heat seaking missile" Schoonmaker will make the offense better just wait and see.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Hyatt is overrated by many here
Agree. He reminds me of Robby Anderson. He'll catch the occasional deep ball that everyone remembers but offers little else in the passing game.

GroundZero1970

Reaction score
Quit worrying about Philly....we play our game and we can beat them everytime..play our brand of ball and we will win ..it's simple

erod

Reaction score
All three of the guys that we drafted are nice additions but none of them change our team.

The eagles and giants, drafted attacking football players - two of our three guys were drafted to stop their already potent quarterbacks and speed in the backfield.

We have not drafted anybody that’s going to change the game that’s going to drive play that’s going to make their defense worry about.

Our draft is based on our opponents assets. We’re worried about them, but they’re not worried about us. That’s a Losing formula in any sport it doesn’t matter.

Brandin Cooks isn’t changing anything.

We are still a slow plodding offense- with very little running back depth very little offensive line, depth, and very little quality at receiver.

And I hate to say it, but the Giants killed this draft already incredible;

We are quickly behind the 8 ball as the Eagles are clearly better and the NYG even .

We whiffed in Free Agency again and did not close any gaps on Philly .

The picks: John Michael Schmitz, C, Minnesota (No. 57); Jalin Hyatt, WR, Tennessee (No. 73)

The Giants landed my top-ranked center in Schmitz late in Round 2. That's a steal. He fills an immediate need. I was surprised he lasted that long.

They followed that by trading up 16 spots to snag Hyatt, giving up No. 128 in the process. Hyatt is a speedster who can be a deep threat out of the slot, though he needs to refine his route running. He's my fifth-ranked wideout, and I thought he could have snuck into the first round for the right team. What a draft the Giants are having. I also really liked cornerback Deonte Banks on Thursday. They have come out of the first two days with three of my top 45 prospects.
Everything you just said is a complete guess. Most draft picks don't pan out for one reason or another. All of the a Eagles and Giants picks could be busts, or could be great.

Go back and look at the last 25 drafts. Tons of busts and average picks in the first rounds. Tons of great picks in the latter rounds.

You won't know until later.

Personally, I think all these quarterbacks in this draft will suck. But who knows?

Wait and see.

btcutter

Reaction score
All three of the guys that we drafted are nice additions but none of them change our team.

The eagles and giants, drafted attacking football players - two of our three guys were drafted to stop their already potent quarterbacks and speed in the backfield.

We have not drafted anybody that’s going to change the game that’s going to drive play that’s going to make their defense worry about.

Our draft is based on our opponents assets. We’re worried about them, but they’re not worried about us. That’s a Losing formula in any sport it doesn’t matter.

Brandin Cooks isn’t changing anything.

We are still a slow plodding offense- with very little running back depth very little offensive line, depth, and very little quality at receiver.

And I hate to say it, but the Giants killed this draft already incredible;

We are quickly behind the 8 ball as the Eagles are clearly better and the NYG even .

We whiffed in Free Agency again and did not close any gaps on Philly .

The picks: John Michael Schmitz, C, Minnesota (No. 57); Jalin Hyatt, WR, Tennessee (No. 73)

The Giants landed my top-ranked center in Schmitz late in Round 2. That's a steal. He fills an immediate need. I was surprised he lasted that long.

They followed that by trading up 16 spots to snag Hyatt, giving up No. 128 in the process. Hyatt is a speedster who can be a deep threat out of the slot, though he needs to refine his route running. He's my fifth-ranked wideout, and I thought he could have snuck into the first round for the right team. What a draft the Giants are having. I also really liked cornerback Deonte Banks on Thursday. They have come out of the first two days with three of my top 45 prospects.
I agree our rivals “killed it” on paper.
Sometime draft doesn’t fall the way you want. There are other teams involved. I’m sure if Dallas had their dream scenario they may have taken different players but the dominos fell a different way last two days. I feel like as fans we draft in vaccum often not considering what all other teams would do. The draft goes 7 rounds so what you do in 1st and other do in 1st do influence what ever team does in later rounds as well.

Also we know for certain team boards are vastly different than what avail out there.

conner01

Reaction score
And that's the key to this. Do we not think every player on the team has been evaluated for their contribution this year by the coaching staff?

We hear "we like our guys" from the Joneses but what if the coaching staff really does like Farniok and Waletzko causing McClay to think more about a blocking TE since McC has stated they want to run the ball more.

This was a weird draft for the Cowboys because every player I saw associated with them picking came off the board before they had a shot at them. No one saw the RB's coming off like that and then the WR's and TE's started coming off.

And it seemed to fall just right for the Eagles.
The key to drafting is hitting on a Wally or Farniok sometimes. You may not get a star but later picks who can contribute are super important.
The draft definitely isn’t about just day one starters. Wilson is a prime example of a guy they really developed into a plsyer
Those top 3 rounds though need to be guys that can start soon because that allows you to move on from the guy in front of them and not give a second contract to good players. Saves those second contracts for elite players and the ones you didn’t have a guy waiting behind

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Even on Madden it might. Our run defence is going to be much improved, thanks to Mazi Smith.
I feel very confident that we could’ve taken these guys with us to San Fran and still got beat.

Unless we build a team to carry the QB we’re going nowhere.

Your run stuffers isn’t going to do squat for what this team truly needs.

kevm3

Reaction score
Yet the Cowboys have been soundly beating them for multiple seasons now, so why waste draft capital to beat two division rivals that Dallas already 'owns'?
We beat them for multiple seasons, but the FO of the eagles is actually competent and they are a better team than us now.

It's sad, but over the past two decades, the giants already won two superbowls and the eagles almost won two and might possibly do so this year. Meanwhile we are stuck in the 2nd round of the playoffs and we need to just pretend like this FO has any idea of what they are doing.

JohnBoy

Reaction score
We beat them for multiple seasons, but the FO of the eagles is actually competent and they are a better team than us now.

It's sad, but over the past two decades, the giants already won two superbowls and the eagles almost won two and might possibly do so this year. Meanwhile we are stuck in the 2nd round of the playoffs and we need to just pretend like this FO has any idea of what they are doing.
Agreed. Although for this off-season (including this draft so far) it seems they are being about as smart as they can be? I mean, maybe I agree with some of the critics that are arguing they should've grabbed a guard instead of that TE. But other than that, it seems these are not bad picks.

Dallas got a lot of criticism for not being able to stop the run well enough, for at least the past 2 seasons. This new DT and LB should be able to help with that.

Offensively, I think I'm starting to agree with the arguments that there's not a whole lot more you can do for it with their current QB situation. And shopping for a QB in this draft sure looks for all the world to be a fool's game, so just go with the guy you have that you're kind of stuck with for 2 more seasons anyway for cap/contract reasons.

Maybe, just maybe - McCarthy knows what he is doing. Stop trying to make Dak be something he isn't, and start winning in the trenches so that #4 can just drive the bus.

A fan can hope...

JohnBoy

Reaction score
Good point…..you own my boys for the past 8 years or so and you do pretty well against Philly….glad Washington is in the conference to keep you humble. Lol
Well, and Washington could very well turn into something better than it's been in a long time. New ownership could be the breath of fresh air that team has needed. I mean, I hope not of course...

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
If Smith helps us stuff the run it opens up pass rushing opportunities for Parsons our new linebacker and the rest to get to the QB, that’s going to change our team. That’s how you stop the elite QBs. Our run defense has been a problem for years. We needed some size upfront to win battles in the trenches. This is going to make it harder for offenses to take Parsons out of plays.