We will go as Dak goes

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Yep

Im just not sure how we can be absolutely certain all 32 teams would have handled it exactly as we did after the fact of the franchise tag, season ending injury and Daks demands. That appears quite a stretch to me. Im sure some might have but all 32?
It’s just my opinion based on the fact that the alternative would be to start all over with a new QB.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Jerry want’s to win more than you and I combined. The Bucs have less cap space than the Cowboys. Mahomes and Allen make more than Dak. I’m no Jerry fan but to say he cares more about the dollars than the winning is total BS.
While I agree he wants to win more than anyone , he only wants to win his way.

And his way includes generating enough revenue where his position isn’t threatened or called more into question. Money isn’t the driving force anymore. But the continued revenue is for him to continue his ways.

Remaining “ interesting and relative” keeps much of the heat off of him versus 5-11 season after season. Which could effect revenue and public perception.

Maintaining a team that’s even marginally in the hunt presents a more favorable public perception. It keeps butts in the seats , buying merchandise and viewing on TV.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It’s just my opinion based on the fact that the alternative would be to start all over with a new QB.
I agree. But the reasons behind why he wouldn’t want to start over are part of the thought process.

Other franchises might have positioned themselves better with alternative plans like with more proven backups or draft choices in the event contract negotiations stalled or didn’t go their way.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
While I agree he wants to win more than anyone , he only wants to win his way.

And his way includes generating enough revenue where his position isn’t threatened or called more into question. Money isn’t the driving force anymore. But the continued revenue is for him to continue his ways.

Remaining “ interesting and relative” keeps much of the heat off of him versus 5-11 season after season. Which could effect revenue and public perception.

Maintaining a team that’s even marginally in the hunt presents a more favorable public perception. It keeps butts in the seats , buying merchandise and viewing on TV.
Let’s just agree to disagree.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Let’s just agree to disagree.
I’m not disputing he wants to win more than anyone. He’s just not doing everything within his power to win if he’s staying in place as GM and his son as VP both head of football operations.

How could anyone argue or disagree that they aren’t what’s best for Cowboys Football? And that’s why winning can’t be the top priority if they are intent on staying in place.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I’m not disputing he wants to win more than anyone. He’s just not doing everything within his power to win if he’s staying in place as GM and his son as VP both head of football operations.

How could anyone argue or disagree that they aren’t what’s best for Cowboys Football? And that’s why winning can’t be the top priority if they are intent on staying in place.
Because HE thinks him staying as GM and his son as VP give the team the best chance to win. He’s wrong of course, but that’s the answer to your question.

SSoup

Reaction score
The team seemingly made the same mistake a bunch of our fans made, confusing the close nature of the Steelers game last season with meaning that Garrett Gilbert was good. He has no business being on the field unless and until an actual #1 and an actual #2 get hurt ahead of him and it's time to break glass in case of emergency. The fact that we turned our noses up at serious QB options all offseason because we thought we were all set with Gilbert penciled in as a #2 is pretty crazy.

It's either that or the team saw guys like Gilbert and DiNucci look great in practice last season and felt all warm and fuzzy thinking they were much better than they are, and that's why the team ignored how poorly they played in real games and still assumed they were the real deal. In which case, our 2020 defense was so bad that watching our offense play them in practice for a whole season temporarily ruined our ability to evaluate our own offensive personnel. That might also explain the team's disinterest in doing more with the backup o-line.

basel90

Reaction score
There are winning organizations and there are the rest of the league . There is a reason 26 years passed w/out a super bowl, needlessly overpaying unproven or overpriced players . A cowboys specialty . It is not by coincidence as per your theory . There are top organizations that avoid such strategies : Patriots , Steelers , packers , and for a period the Giants and , Broncos ,Seatle .

basel90

Reaction score
That’s a big part of it. Dak is more valuable to an owner like Jethro. He represents stardom , popularity , jersey and ticket sakes, sponsors, etc.

And he presents remaining “relative and interesting “. Two huge selling points in our owners own words.

Unfortunately our priorities in this franchise are not solely about winning. But he doesn’t want to risk starting over. He’s willing to over pay his stars regardless what that means to building a greater depth team all around.
Very accurately put

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
There are winning organizations and there are the rest of the league . There is a reason 26 years passed w/out a super bowl, needlessly overpaying unproven or overpriced players . A cowboys specialty . It is not by coincidence as per your theory . There are top organizations that avoid such strategies : Patriots , Steelers , packers , and for a period the Giants and , Broncos ,Seatle .
That’s a tired and extremely naive take. One only a pessimist would say.

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
I disagree. Dak looked like a MVP last season before he got hurt and we were lucky to win any of those games.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Because HE thinks him staying as GM and his son as VP give the team the best chance to win. He’s wrong of course, but that’s the answer to your question.
Right. And the fact that he’s wrong is why he isn’t doing everything within his power to win.

Only wanting to win if you can play with your ball isn’t placing winning as the absolute top priority.