Weak RB class?

chicago JK

Reaction score
It is weak right. Maybe weakest in a while, right? I really wish we would have found a stop gap in FA just to get through this year. Next year looks better. I am sure there will be a good ones that come out of this draft though.

From my watching, I really like Corum. What are his negatives? He got a lot of carries at Michigan and that could be a negative. He is also not the biggest guy. But if I were to pick one person who could maybe do what Kyren Williams has done in LA, I think I would pick Corum. Don't know if Iike any backs to take one in the second round though.

FredRob22

Reaction score
It might be weak, but I think there are plenty of options that the Cowboys could pick from and be okay. After watching the Shrine Game, I would be standing on the table for Frank Gore Jr. I know he went to a small school and the Shrine Game may not have had top tier talent, but he sure looked good IMHO. The other back from Memphis wasn't too shabby either. Might even see Malik Davis II in the form of former Gator Montrell Johnson possibly being an undrafted free agent signing. Bottom line, I think there are still enough options for the Cowboys to get at least one quality RB in the draft and maybe the go RB tandem closer to a 50/50 split this year.

1942willys

Reaction score
My theory on RBs is that 95% of them have just so many carries in them before they are going downhill. and that means both college and NFL combined. With college schedules now at least twelve games and often more, a bell cow RB will get about as many carries as a lot of NFL starting RBs. Now the opposition of course is nowhere near as tough; but its contact and mileage on the legs.
I think any RB you pick you need to look at that; and very few really deserve a second contract and then you need to crunch the numbers real close.

MikeT22

Reaction score
There aren’t any high end prospects like Bijon or Gibbs, but quite a few late 2nd-4th round types.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I think Jaylen Wright and Trey Benson are your two real starter material types. Jonathan Brooks was a good prospect too before he blew his ACL.

Corum's a gamer, but he doesn't have the high-octane top end of those other guys, and RB is a position where athleticism really plays. He'll top out as a complementary back IMO.

Last edited:

rambo2

Reaction score
Benson
Brooks
Wright
Allen
Corum
Lloyd
Guerendo

Those are the 7. Pick one between 56 and 87.

24 Jackson Powers-Johnson or Troy Fautanu
56 Brandon Fiske or T'Vondre Sweat
87 one of the above running backs

Jayinem

Reaction score
It's getting so bad that I'm not even sure if it's not better to just tank. Even if we signed really good free agents at multiple positions we have to face Philly twice, San Francisco, Baltimore, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Detroit and Houston. Since we did nothing in free agency we could lose to teams like Pittsburgh in their stadium with Russell Wilson and a good defense, Tampa, and Atlanta with Kirk Cousins. Rookies can only help so much and we have a lot of holes.

Chasing6

Reaction score
It is weak right. Maybe weakest in a while, right? I really wish we would have found a stop gap in FA just to get through this year. Next year looks better. I am sure there will be a good ones that come out of this draft though.

From my watching, I really like Corum. What are his negatives? He got a lot of carries at Michigan and that could be a negative. He is also not the biggest guy. But if I were to pick one person who could maybe do what Kyren Williams has done in LA, I think I would pick Corum. Don't know if Iike any backs to take one in the second round though.
Running game starts with the OLine, not the RB.

Why do you think every year there are surprise RB's that over perform?

Aven8

Reaction score
I don’t think it’s that weak. I’m not that impressed by Brooks either. He was a one year wonder that got injured. He only had 1,100 yards before that as well.

1942willys

Reaction score
Running game starts with the OLine, not the RB.

Why do you think every year there are surprise RB's that over perform?
The greatest of running backs can make something out of nothing but that number is very few and they still cannot get a lot
You give pretty much any running back a good hole and he will give you production. NOW he has to be smart enough and have good enough vision to SEE the hole but that is common.
I remember a couple of decades or so ago, do not remember just when, the Bronco's had a great run blocking line and they had four separate backs gain a thousand yards four years in a row.

Chasing6

Reaction score
The greatest of running backs can make something out of nothing but that number is very few and they still cannot get a lot
You give pretty much any running back a good hole and he will give you production. NOW he has to be smart enough and have good enough vision to SEE the hole but that is common.
I remember a couple of decades or so ago, do not remember just when, the Bronco's had a great run blocking line and they had four separate backs gain a thousand yards four years in a row.
That was Shanahan. He had like 4 different backs, in 4 years rush for over 1,000 yards.

When they wanted more money, he let them walk or traded them.

Now that is complimentary football, with 1 position group making another's job a lot easier.

morasp

Reaction score
Last year (bold) with stats and this year by draft grade:

6.84 Bijan Robinson rushing 214/976 Rec 58/487
6.38 Jonathon Brooks
6.37 Jahmyr Gibbs rushing 182/945 Rec 52/316
6.33 Jaylen Wright
6.25 Zach Evans
6.24 Israel Abanikanda rushing 22/70 Rec 7/43
6.23 Devon Achane rushing 103/800 Rec 27/197
6.23 Zach Charbonnet rushing 108/462 Rec 33/209

6.23 Trey Benson
6.22 Eric Gray rushing 17/48 Rec 6/22
6.22 Tyjae Spears rushing 100/453 Rec 52/385
6.22 DeWayne McBride

6.18 Marshawn Lloyd
6.18 Tyrone Tracy
6.17 Ray Davis
6.16 Mohamed Ibrahim
6.16 Will Shipley
6.15 Tank Bigsby rushing 50/132 Rec 1/6
6.15 Blake Corum
6.15 Isaac Guerendo

deerhunter11

Reaction score
I don’t think it’s that weak. I’m not that impressed by Brooks either. He was a one year wonder that got injured. He only had 1,100 yards before that as well.
I don't think it is weak either, Benson, Allen, Davis, Corum, Loyd or Wright can all get the job done I believe.

1942willys

Reaction score
That was Shanahan. He had like 4 different backs, in 4 years rush for over 1,000 yards.

When they wanted more money, he let them walk or traded them.

Now that is complimentary football, with 1 position group making another's job a lot easier.
makes you wonder why more do not try that

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Always go by per carry on the elite college backs. The top guys should have over 6 a carry.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Always go by per carry on the elite college backs. The top guys should have over 6 a carry.
I would look at yards after contact. A great OLine, or a college playing an inferior team,
can open up some huge holes where they don't get touched for 5 yards.

Only thing impressive about that is the OLine. Not the RB.

starfan1

Reaction score
Benson
Brooks
Wright
Allen
Corum
Lloyd
Guerendo

Those are the 7. Pick one between 56 and 87.

24 Jackson Powers-Johnson or Troy Fautanu
56 Brandon Fiske or T'Vondre Sweat
87 one of the above running backs
Im actually thinking LB as more important than RB but I like the picks you mentioned. If we cant trade down and garner another pick I think Im taking the best LB available at 87. Maybe Eichenberg from OSU then grab RB later

rambo2

Reaction score
It's getting so bad that I'm not even sure if it's not better to just tank. Even if we signed really good free agents at multiple positions we have to face Philly twice, San Francisco, Baltimore, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Detroit and Houston. Since we did nothing in free agency we could lose to teams like Pittsburgh in their stadium with Russell Wilson and a good defense, Tampa, and Atlanta with Kirk Cousins. Rookies can only help so much and we have a lot of holes.
The Cowboys are too good to tank. They would have to have a lot of injuries to tank.

1942willys

Reaction score
The Cowboys are too good to tank. They would have to have a lot of injuries to tank.
that is the downside of being relevant; yeah you are a winning team and can be divisional champs but nothing more on the field and you have lousy draft position so the opportunity to really get the top talent is not there

Chasing6

Reaction score
Or you just give more playing time to players that need to be develop.

Either way it looks like we have punted on the the 2024 season, before it even started.