Weak RB class?

Chasing6

Reaction score
The greatest of running backs can make something out of nothing but that number is very few and they still cannot get a lot
You give pretty much any running back a good hole and he will give you production. NOW he has to be smart enough and have good enough vision to SEE the hole but that is common.
I remember a couple of decades or so ago, do not remember just when, the Bronco's had a great run blocking line and they had four separate backs gain a thousand yards four years in a row.
But we don't want the greatest RB, they want too much money. I want 2 average RB's, that specialize in different areas, with a great OLine.

Allow them to out perform their ability and trade them and draft a new ones. Keep them young, fresh and hungry, so you can trade them and get your original pick back in return.

A great OLine helps the entire team.

Gives QB more time to throw
Gives WR's more time to get open
Makes an average RB look good

Eats up more time of possession allowing your defense to rest.

Mr_437

Reaction score
I like last year's RB class better overall, and I always believe when you have a loaded class, go get you a guy (not a 5'5 RB in the 6th rd.). To me, so many runners came out last year, it's just not as many guys. Kinda like if you want a WR next year, it may considered a weak class because this one is loaded. So, Dallas should draft a WR 4rd at the latest.

I like Ray Davis, Corum, Brooks, Lloyd.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I like last year's RB class better overall, and I always believe when you have a loaded class, go get you a guy (not a 5'5 RB in the 6th rd.). To me, so many runners came out last year, it's just not as many guys. Kinda like if you want a WR next year, it may considered a weak class because this one is loaded. So, Dallas should draft a WR 4rd at the latest.

I like Ray Davis, Corum, Brooks, Lloyd.
If we are rebuilding, it is a great time to trade CD.

Just saying.

1942willys

Reaction score
But we don't want the greatest RB, they want too much money. I want 2 average RB's, that specialize in different areas, with a great OLine.

Allow them to out perform their ability and trade them and draft a new ones. Keep them young, fresh and hungry, so you can trade them and get your original pick back in return.

A great OLine helps the entire team.

Gives QB more time to throw
Gives WR's more time to get open
Makes an average RB look good

Eats up more time of possession allowing your defense to rest.
where did I sat we needed a great RB?
Nice to have one until the rookie deal is over. Then there is a lot of pressure to resign him as there as with Zeke.
But what a great RB can give you is a lot; so if you luck into one with a mid draft pick then that is great and get those four years and then let him go

rambo2

Reaction score
Or you just give more playing time to players that need to be develop.

Either way it looks like we have punted on the the 2024 season, before it even started.
They won't punt for a long time. A long way to go.

Chasing6

Reaction score
They don't want to trade Lamb, Parsons, Diggs, or Dak.
And they don't want to build around them. So our SB will be trying to win the Division.

Then blame Dak, and wonder why Micah had no sacks in the playoffs.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
That was Shanahan. He had like 4 different backs, in 4 years rush for over 1,000 yards.

When they wanted more money, he let them walk or traded them.

Now that is complimentary football, with 1 position group making another's job a lot easier.
Shanahan also had that zone blocking scheme that Alex Gibbs perfected to make production with practically anyone.

Please let me know when we have anything remotely close to that level of coaching and then we can start picking up backs wherever.

Mr_437

Reaction score
If we are rebuilding, it is a great time to trade CD.

Just saying.
I wouldn't do it, but either way, I don't they have the guts to pull off anything of that magnitude. I hear ya.

1942willys

Reaction score
Shanahan also had that zone blocking scheme that Alex Gibbs perfected to make production with practically anyone.

Please let me know when we have anything remotely close to that level of coaching and then we can start picking up backs wherever.
I guess it must cause problems for pass protection because I cannot see why that system is not commonly used.
We have not had a top OL coach since Callahan and he got run off. Colombo I had hope for but I guess it just was not there
Do not think a lot of solari; though he is not bad

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
It is weak right. Maybe weakest in a while, right? I really wish we would have found a stop gap in FA just to get through this year. Next year looks better. I am sure there will be a good ones that come out of this draft though.

From my watching, I really like Corum. What are his negatives? He got a lot of carries at Michigan and that could be a negative. He is also not the biggest guy. But if I were to pick one person who could maybe do what Kyren Williams has done in LA, I think I would pick Corum. Don't know if Iike any backs to take one in the second round though.
It seems to mainly be weak in that it doesn't have any clear first-round talents, although Brooks probably would have been at least a late one. Players you can get in the second and third round are typical of RB talent that has been available in that round in the past. For instance, I don't know if someone like Zach Charbonnet in the second is any better than Trey Benson in the second would be. The Value is the same.

StuckMojo

Reaction score
I don’t think it’s that weak. I’m not that impressed by Brooks either. He was a one year wonder that got injured. He only had 1,100 yards before that as well.
I hope he isn’t our 2nd rd pick

Gambit

Reaction score
Can fly and is athletic as all get out, but injury history concerns me. Blake Watson over him, for me.

Same for Brooks, just think it'll be 2025 before he's fully recovered, not sure we can afford that wait. And he's not such a a great prospect you start rueage season over losing.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Running game starts with the OLine, not the RB.

Why do you think every year there are surprise RB's that over perform?
This..

Tony Pollard was not a problem. We could not block.

A revamp of the OL is priority #1.

The Cowboys OL is on a huge downtrend.

Martin is just about done, Steele was a shell of himself, so basically it’s Tyler smith holding it down for now.

We need a rebuild there.

stinkface

Reaction score
Or you just give more playing time to players that need to be develop.

Either way it looks like we have punted on the the 2024 season, before it even started.
Maybe when Jerry said "we are all in" he actually said "We are in the bin" meaning "we are in the trash bin".

stinkface

Reaction score
This..

Tony Pollard was not a problem. We could not block.

A revamp of the OL is priority #1.

The Cowboys OL is on a huge downtrend.

Martin is just about done, Steele was a shell of himself, so basically it’s Tyler smith holding it down for now.

We need a rebuild there.
Agree. Pollard had very few holes and we didn't block worth a darn downfield if he managed to get through the first round of defenders. There wasn't much daylight for sure. It wasn't Alabama blocking someone like Rice.

HanD

Reaction score
Benson
Brooks
Wright
Allen
Corum
Lloyd
Guerendo

Those are the 7. Pick one between 56 and 87.

24 Jackson Powers-Johnson or Troy Fautanu
56 Brandon Fiske or T'Vondre Sweat
87 one of the above running backs
I'd like to fit lb in there but it's less of a need now with Kendricks.