Weaknesses in the Cowboys

khiladi

Reaction score
Inspite of the good play, what do you see as the main areas that require improvement regarding the Cowboys? What stands out the most?

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
Must minimize penalties, we are getting way too many penalties.

More D-Line/LB penetration to put pressure on opposing QB

Better tackling

burmafrd

Reaction score
Rowdy, Barney, that smiley face, and Katie Couric all must be roasted, toasted, fried and the ashes shot into the sun.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Underneath routes if we continue to play soft coverage. We still haven't faced a burner WR to test our safeties. And we haven't had anyone really test us consistently over the deep middle like Rex did successfully three times on one drive.

We also need to pick up blitzes better. Romo was running for his life all game. Fortunately he made some unreal athletic plays. I don't think he can do that every game, though. Hopefully teams will think otherwise and simply not blitz us like Chicago did.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
khiladi;1667423 said:
Inspite of the good play, what do you see as the main areas that require improvement regarding the Cowboys? What stands out the most?

Cutting down on penalties on offense and would like to see better play out of the defense.

DasTex

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
khiladi;1667423 said:

Secondary...we haven't really faced a high powered air attack yet...unless you consider Plax and Eli to be that. The Rams...even at 0-3 will be a difficult game

cobra

Salty *******
Reaction score
Penalties are the obvious ones we need fixed.

Our O-line could be doing better pass-protection and run-blocking. It just so happens that our QB doesn't need a perfect pocket to work his magic, but it wouldn't hurt to give him one. I love Romo's magic plays, but I'd be less stressed if he didn't have to pull a rabbit out of the hat every time he tries to throw deep. Same with run-blocking. I love watching Barber run over people or bounce it outside. But I'd be fine with giant Mack-truck size holes for them.

I'd like to see better play out of Roy.

I'd like to see our ILBs do something in pass coverage.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
cobra;1667477 said:
Penalties are the obvious ones we need fixed.

Our O-line could be doing better pass-protection and run-blocking. It just so happens that our QB doesn't need a perfect pocket to work his magic, but it wouldn't hurt to give him one. I love Romo's magic plays, but I'd be less stressed if he didn't have to pull a rabbit out of the hat every time he tries to throw deep. Same with run-blocking. I love watching Barber run over people or bounce it outside. But I'd be fine with giant Mack-truck size holes for them.

I'd like to see better play out of Roy.

I'd like to see our ILBs do something in pass coverage.

I agree and it is forcing Romo to once again hit the 3rd and longs too often and that is difficult to do week in and week out.

Wolfpack

Reaction score
Better early running game.

Better blitizing. (Both timing and execution...they still aren't great)

ndanger

Reaction score
burmafrd;1667445 said:
Rowdy, Barney, that smiley face, and Katie Couric all must be roasted, toasted, fried and the ashes shot into the sun.

Too much overkill, just shoot 'em to the sun, one bird, one stone.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Only way we could have stopped a lot of those penalties last night was to pay the officials more then the Bears did.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
burmafrd;1667508 said:
Only way we could have stopped a lot of those penalties last night was to pay the officials more then the Bears did.

I agree there were some bad ones but there were some legit ones as well and last week some legit ones and Dallas has to do a better job in cutting down on these mistakes.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Forcing receivers to catch balls with broken fingers, this is the 2nd year we try this...:bang2::rolleyes:

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
Did Spears or Canty play?? Umm, DL needs to step up.

Secondary of course, along with more pressure on the QB.

Also, we really need Glenn back to stretch the D out as teams start realizing that most of our big plays are YAC and not deep patterns.

khiladi

Reaction score
Underneath routes if we continue to play soft coverage. We still haven't faced a burner WR to test our safeties. And we haven't had anyone really test us consistently over the deep middle like Rex did successfully three times on one drive.

Agree on both points.

Also, it is hard to gage pass rush in the context of the soft coverage. They seem to collapse the pocket better, but getting to the QB still seems to be an issue. I like the stunt though from Spencer. That was a beautiful call.

Ayodele was horrible on that drive in coverage. He looked like Bradie James last year on those drives.

We also need to pick up blitzes better. Romo was running for his life all game. Fortunately he made some unreal athletic plays. I don't think he can do that every game, though. Hopefully teams will think otherwise and simply not blitz us like Chicago did.

Definite... The fact that TO can get open helps.

zeromaster

Reaction score
03EBZ06;1667435 said:
Must minimize penalties, we are getting way too many penalties.

More D-Line/LB penetration to put pressure on opposing QB

Better tackling
Hard to argue with any of that. I wish the CBs would play a little closer to the line, but at least they weren't 10 yards off *all* game.