Weaknesses in the Cowboys

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Deep_Freeze;1667585 said:
Cool, hate to have to watch the game film 3 times to find them though.
Their penetration and stuffs in the run game should stick out on the first view.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
These days every team has weaknesses, so we aren't alone. But if you tink about beating, say, the Pats...

1. I think our ILBs are pretty average, especially in coverage.

2. As game as Ratliff is (very proud of that guy), I still think we are missing a strong inside NT.

3. I wish we had more speed at WR.

4. I wish we had another passrusher opposite Ware. Spencer is doing very well, but he's still a raw rookie at this point.

The good news is that all but #1 should be fixed by late November. ;) And even on #1, Burnett could eventually play a lot more than he is now.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
theogt;1667589 said:
Their penetration and stuffs in the run game should stick out on the first view.

Guess I missed their wonderful play, sorry.

Jake0

Reaction score
An elite qb/wr tandem would wreck our soft coverage I think at this point.. hopefully our philosophy changes once newman is back in full time. Take the short pass all day early then once we start trying to jump it, do a pump fake double move and that's gonna be a free td. Then it seems like the opposing O could just mix up what they're going to do from there.

* ok after the press conference I take back my comments here.

FCBarca

Reaction score
theogt;1667446 said:
Underneath routes if we continue to play soft coverage. We still haven't faced a burner WR to test our safeties. And we haven't had anyone really test us consistently over the deep middle like Rex did successfully three times on one drive.

We also need to pick up blitzes better. Romo was running for his life all game. Fortunately he made some unreal athletic plays. I don't think he can do that every game, though. Hopefully teams will think otherwise and simply not blitz us like Chicago did.

Concur...I'd add that I think clearly penalties would rate high on the list of priorities right now.

BouncingCheese

Stay out of my Bidness
Reaction score
Defensive Line needs to step up. Nobody is saying anything because we are winning but Spears has been invisible.

Penalties

Terrence Newman needs to be ready for the patriots or we will get shatted on by Randy Moss, Ben Watson, Wes Welker Or Dante Stallworth. Anthony Henry simply cant keep up with Moss.

Then again if the D line can step up we wont need newman as much. We haven't exactly been facing top-notch qbs in our games yet, and we still dont know how the defense will react to a team with one.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
BouncingCheese;1667842 said:
Defensive Line needs to step up. Nobody is saying anything because we are winning but Spears has been invisible.

Then again if the D line can step up we wont need newman as much. We haven't exactly been facing top-notch qbs in our games yet, and we still dont know how the defense will react to a team with one.

I think I mentioned this earlier, lol, but I guess I missed their steller play...:rolleyes:

FCBarca

Reaction score
BouncingCheese;1667842 said:

Penalties

Terrence Newman needs to be ready for the patriots or we will get shatted on by Randy Moss, Ben Watson, Wes Welker Or Dante Stallworth. Anthony Henry simply cant keep up with Moss.

Spears and Canty have got to step their games up...With Canty, he seems rather unpredictable...With Spears, I think the writing has been on the wall long enough...We're getting what we're getting out of him.

As for Newman, he will definitely be needed against Moss...Watching Henry, it's clear he doesn't have the foot speed anymore...And hoping for Roy's help over the top will only result in him shaking hands with Moss in the endzone.

SMCowboy

Reaction score
Deep_Freeze;1667847 said:
I think I mentioned this earlier, lol, but I guess I missed their steller play...:rolleyes:

Spear and Canty have not had great pass rush games yet. But they have done wonderful job in run defense.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
SMCowboy;1667879 said:
Spear and Canty have not had great pass rush games yet. But they have done wonderful job in run defense.

Yeah, guess I wasn't specific enough. One good thing is we do go to the nickel defense alot more in passing situations.

NickZepp

Reaction score
Front 7 needs to play better. They played good against Chicago. But Chicago i the worst offense we've played this year.

Offense needs to run the ball better early in games. Penalties are sometimes out of the players control because you can get called for anything sometimes.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I'm going to echo everyone else's thoughts and say penalties - and I know Romo overcomes 3rd and 20 like it's 3rd and 3, but this can't continue.

We need to start getting off to a good start. Imagine how many points we will score if we start off strong.

I'd like to see more pressure on the qB, but take this into consideration if you will. Even Chicago didn't get pressure on Romo EVERY down. Every 3rd down they would apply pressure on Romo.

So that's no better than what we did. We didn't get pressure on every down, but every 3rd down or so, we had pressure.

sago1

Reaction score
I think we far from getting where we need to be.
1. Our OL needs to continue to improve cause there still too many times Romo forced out of the pocket.
2. Too many penalties, many of which could be avoided, particularly on the OL.
3. Still like to see better run production from our running game.
4. Still not getting enough QB pressure. Eli made us pay but Romo was better. We'll be playing QBs who can take advantage of our failure to get enough pressure. Now maybe this improves as team becomes more familiar with Wade's scheme and Ware/Spencer step it up. But still need better pressure from our DL.
5. TO & Witten are great but concerned some team could cover them enough and not sure Crayton/Hurd enough of an option. If Glenn comes back totally healthy, we okay this season but need think of the future -- unless Stanbach is that player.
6. Secondary needs improve coverage so we should get a quality CB.