Weather where you are

Flamma

Reaction score
I think most people do stay in, but some people have to get out due to work or to check on other family members, especially vulnerable family members.

If I was unable to get ahold of my family during a blizzard, storm, etc. and I was concerned for them, I would get out in the weather regardless of the risks.

That being said, I typically help them prepare before the weather arrives to make that less likely to happen.

The real issue is that weather channels and meteorologists constantly make each storm sound like an extinction event to the point that many people assume they are crying wolf no matter how much they hype the potential dangers.

I understand emergency situations. I just don't think all of those people are in those situations. I grew up in a family that didn't care about snow events. They went about their business as usual. Not I. I see flurries and I call out sick. I'm not driving in that crap.

T-RO

Reaction score
A week ago in an off-topic thread I mentioned the Great California Flood of 1862. This was a flood beyond anything anyone in the U.S. over the past 100 years has experienced...or can even imagine. And according to the historical geological record...this kind of thing has hit Cali about every 150 years (on average).

I didn't mention the flood as a trivial historical incident, but after studying a book about that flood and while also scrutinizing Cali's long term weather forecasts.

One week after posting that...Today San Francisco hit it's all-time greatest rainfall event. Never in the records has it rained in San Francisco as it did today. Lots of flooding around California. And the rain pattern is set on: Repeat.

Cali drought needs lots of precipitation. Let's hope it gets that, without too much pain.

Last edited:

lukin2006

Reaction score
7 days ago we were in the last day of a 3 day blizzard, this weekend we got all day rain Saturday and fog today…

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
67 Degrees heavy thunderstorms tornado watch until 9 o'clock Idabel got hit hard a couple of months ago

T-RO

Reaction score
It’s been raining like crazy across California. More rain is expected this week.

I know you and I have had some contentiousness on this forum, but I want to genuinely wish you, your family and friends safety and well-being the next few weeks. Could be very bumpy time for California.

T-RO

Reaction score
Whatever your opinion on things...push above it. Pray for California. The next 2-3 weeks could be historic...and impact people across the country.

lukin2006

Reaction score
It's been a good weekend. Saturday and Sunday the sun has been shining, it's usually very gray and depressing here in the winter...It's been nice and cool but not really cold. Got my dog out both days for long walks...she loves long walks in the cool weather...shes a lab and is built for winter, even at 11...

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Hey, we broke into the double digits today - the high today is 11 F. Oh joy

;)

triplets_93

Reaction score
The National Weather Service office in Fort Worth said it had received numerous reports of accidents on bridges, overpasses and untreated roadways early Monday. Spotty freezing drizzle had broken out during Sunday night.

MedStar emergency management services in Fort Worth reported Monday afternoon that over 100 crashes took place in the area, with 25 patients transported to area hospitals with reported injuries.

Christopher Cook, the chief of police for White Settlement, a suburb of Fort Worth, posted on Twitter that icy roads were contributing to accidents in the area. “People must slow down when approaching elevated surfaces,” Cook wrote. Further south, crews with the Texas Department of Transportation pretreated major roadways Monday morning in Austin, reminding residents to "leave plenty of room" between vehicles and work convoys.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/wint...ower-outages-from-dallas-to-nashville/1475492