Twitter: Werder on why Jerry paid Zeke

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Well they already saw how not having him ruined 2017.

Paying wasn't as much of a problem as the structure, which made him about uncuttable for the first four years.
Had Pollard been drafted in 2017 instead of 2019, it wouldn't even be a factor.

~Pollard' play has become very elite

~while the other has worsened
by the name of Zeke
:lmao2:

MarcusRock

Reaction score
No 2019 offense should have needed a running back to save it.

It's the elephant in the room, but at the time, it did. Dak had tailed off from his rookie season and Zeke was thought to be the glue to keep that offense going. Zeke's agent struck while the iron was hot and they had the leverage of derailing the whole season because the front office didn't trust Dak and a raw rookie Pollard.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
1000%........see my post
Yep, remember Jerry bragging during the 2014 season about how Joesph Randel could gain 1500 yards behind our OL. Zeke agents didn't forget

Just do what you do. When you invest in something, use it! If you're not going to feature the run, don't make your running back among the highest-paid in the league.

Going back to the 2016 draft, I was against drafting Elliott because I felt it was overkill. If your line is that good, and you've invested that much, you shouldn't then use the #4 pick on a running back.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
If this is true then there some of the most oblivious people in all of sports.

They literally spent that whole off-season telling the media "Zekes our boy for life", "We already have the money allocated for him", "Gurley is the starting point for negotiations".

There is no way a rational front office could of not seen it coming, if anything they where basically encouraging it

Stephen Jones was quoted several times during the 2018 season that he will take care of Zeke........he just needs him to be patient. So I think he had every intention of resigning Zeke, just not a year before his option.

Tussinman

Reaction score
Not only did they use the #4 overall pick - their highest draft asset in years - on a running back, but they then paid him tops in the league at his position. This after seeing the previous disastrous contracts given to guys like Le'veon Bell and Todd Gurley, where the teams dumb enough to get into those deals couldn't wait to get out of them!
To add even more insult Zeke was like top 3 in the NFL in guranteed money for his position when he held out (rookie deal + 5th year was like 34 million fully guranteed).

His agent was smart, he knew Stephen blabbed to the media about how "Zekes our boy for life, we already have the money allocated for him, Gurley is the starting point for negotiations" so there was no way the front office wasn't going to cave in.

He only did it because he knew he could get away with it. If it had been the Patriots or Seahawks the tone to the media would of been "no we don't do holdouts with 2 years left, we don't have a history of this and will never will, next question".

Stephen Jones was quoted several times during the 2018 season that he will take care of Zeke........he just needs him to be patient. So I think he had every intention of resigning Zeke, just not a year before his option.
Problem is telling the whole world not only are we paying you at minimum Gurley money but we already have the money ready for you. That basically ruins any chance you have of waiting or doing things on your timeline

Last edited:

kumizi

Reaction score
Called it. JG is still stuck in 1995 and the morons that run the team went along with him. Same with Marinelli.

We're still letting coaches make major personnel decisions. So even though the moron coaches are gone, the process hasnt changed.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Most of the posters here and fans in general wanted to ‘pay da man.’ So, Jerry caved and ‘paid the man.’ Same with Lawrence and Dak.

Most Cowboy fans just don’t care about money. Those paying money to sit in the seats want to see their stars. Jerry doesn’t care about money. Other teams are now the same way. Pgh just caved to Watt. Buffalo just caved to Allen. Happening all around.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Nathan-Fillion-reaction-gif.gif

fivetwos

Reaction score
Called it. JG is still stuck in 1995 and the morons that run the team went along with him. Same with Marinelli.

We're still letting coaches make major personnel decisions. So even though the moron coaches are gone, the process hasnt changed.
Exactly right. The difference is it appears to work a little better now.

But they can't go getting rid of Quinn in two years and start all over again if he doesn't win.

That's the problem when there's no organizational philosophy, it's about whichever assistant has Jerry's ear at the moment.

Creeper

Reaction score
I have a big problem with this lame excuse from Jerry. Even if he wanted to supply Garrett with the talent he needed to win then it means Jerry did not see that Garrett has no talent as a head coach and Zeke had already been slowing down and becoming less effective when Jerry gave him the money. And even if Jerry wanted to re-sign Zeke, then why pay him that ridiculous amount of money and guarantee his salary each year up through 2022? This is Jerry making excuses for his incompetence as a GM.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Yeah, about a 20 minute process while reading Juggs magazine.
The best part is he took over a team that wasn't exactly over the hill, and won a playoff game ten months earlier.....with a top QB in place !!!

And talked about contending being a process from the word go.

I'm just happy the Giants are allowing him to hold them back for now. Not sure how long that may last though.

Sydla

Reaction score
Guessing it doesn't make many feel better but it's true. I think the holdout had a bigger impact than saving Jason's job. It caught them totally off guard, they simply didn't see it coming. They only had two options......pay him or call his bluff ( seeing if he wait until Oct to report ).

LOL.

Praxit

Reaction score
Lol Thanks JG. One last departing gift.

Zeke’s a good player but that contract is bad. At least he earns some of it unlike a few others.
..it will be bad if cant put up at least 1200yds this year.

NorthTexan95

Reaction score
Zeke gets the tough 3rd downs and is a great blocker. He's the highest paid fullback in league history.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
What the hell are you talking about.........no agenda here at all. Whether you know it or not I'm one of Zeke's biggest fans. His hold-out was an absolutely brilliant move. He and his were NOT going to allow this team to trash him the way they did DeMarco Murray on his contract. Remember, they ran the hell out of Murray ( 2014 led the league yards AND touches, 400+ ) then lowballed during contract talks.

I am speaking to the people who vilify Zeke because he has a big paycheck. People like those who lambaste him as if he did something to them personally. I agree it was a brilliant move and the Murray debacle infuriated me.

My comments are not directed at you.
2730316_0.jpg

basel90

Reaction score
Guessing it doesn't make many feel better but it's true. I think the holdout had a bigger impact than saving Jason's job. It caught them totally off guard, they simply didn't see it coming. They only had two options......pay him or call his bluff ( seeing if he wait until Oct to report ).

that is more upsetting. Jerry paid zeke a fortune that was wasted just to keep Jason , who got canned at the end ?