Twitter: Werder: Source tells me team in active contract negotiations with at least six players

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This would be my guess. Brown should be cheap insurance as the #4 corner

I certainly hope so. I'm not paying him any significant money, but given his 2019 season and injury, he will probably be looking for a cheap one year deal to try to improve his free agent standing for next year.

Between he and Jones this year, and Awuzie and Lewis next year, the Cowboys are facing a complete overhaul of the cornerback position over the next two years.

quickccc

Reaction score
I certainly hope so. I'm not paying him any significant money, but given his 2019 season and injury, he will probably be looking for a cheap one year deal to try to improve his free agent standing for next year.

Between he and Jones this year, and Awuzie and Lewis next year, the Cowboys are facing a complete overhaul of the cornerback position over the next two years.

and coming out of a strong CB class last year without any CB to invest/develop certainly did not help matters.
it adds yet another year of having to stock pile CBs. Ditto with the safety position as well, as late rounder Donovan Wilson is still quite an unknown.
This last draft class of 2019 may prove to be McClay's worst draft class thus far.

quickccc

Reaction score
Anyone else surprised how little leakage we’ve gotten out of the front office to the media??

Either the Jones’s are trying to keep this close to vest, or theyve snipped all the little birdies

some front offices have a few moles..and agents are often hell bent gossipers.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
and coming out of a strong CB class last year without any CB to invest/develop certainly did not help matters.
it adds yet another year of having to stock pile CBs. Ditto with the safety position as well, as late rounder Donovan Wilson is still quite an unknown.
This last draft class of 2019 may prove to be McClay's worst draft class thus far.

In my opinion, McClay has been far too much of a 'company man' and a 'get-along guy', going so far as to repeatedly side with management (and coaches) vs the scouts. From what I know, he's ultimately supported both of Rod Marinelli's terrible draft decisions even when it flew in direct opposition to the scouts draft board. And both times the results have ended in catastrophic failure. That had better stop and never happen again.

I'm tending to think that safety will once again be less of a draft priority than many fans think or hope. Four reasons for that in my opinion are:
  1. I think the team still believes that Xavier Woods can become that safety they hoped he would. A limited, basic, cookie cutter scheme did him no favors and I don't think they're in a huge rush to outright replace him at free safety.
  2. As you mentioned, Donovan Wilson looked good during the preseason last year and established himself as a playmaker. I'm still baffled as to why he couldn't get an on-field opportunity, but then again, look at who was coaching. Wilson also has experience with Linguist, our new secondary coach working in his favor.
  3. Free agency provides several mid-priced safety options in Clinton-Dix and Karl Joseph if the Cowboys were looking for experience and quick impact.
  4. I think the stock of this year's safeties continues to fall and I don't think either is worth the #17 pick.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
This place is going to be off the rails when the team announces a 5 year deal for Jeff Heath

Creeper

Reaction score
I am done reacting to the rumor mill. Twitter is not a reliable source of information. Its made up nonsense 95% of the time. I am waiting for Mickey Spagnola to tell me what's going on. :laugh: