We're close.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Maybe I'm more of a "glass is half full" kinda guy when it comes to my Cowboys. But I think this team is going to be really good, if not great in the next couple of seasons.

I also believe that we are on the cusp of something really wonderful here in Dallas. Much like the Colts (in Peyton's younger years) were a few years back. They were always playing really well in the regular season, only to continually lose heartbreakers in the playoffs. They had the QB to get it done, but just seemed to eventually implode. Well, my friends, here we are, roughly in the same boat. We're on the rise, but still quite new at it.

Listen, we have the QB to do this, but still lack a few pieces here and there. Tony is a student of the game, and will become even more diligent about his work ethic. All the QB's destined for greatness have these traits about them.

As all good teams do, they keep working at it, and come back hungrier the next season. Which I believe to be true with this team. A team that is young and will be hungry to get it done. Romo is becoming that leader that this team desperately needs, and will become even more vocal about it next season. Things that were new to Romo are going to become second nature because of the valuable experienced gained during this 13-3 season. This team will rally around their leader, and we'll have our time in the sun once again. Mark my words!

Bottom line, we're still pretty new at this, but we're getting are legs again. It's only a matter of time.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maybe it's just my perception, but the laundry list for each off season seems to be getting shorter each year. Also take into consideration we went 13-4 this year and beat both teams in the NFC Championship game three times in the process.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Talent wise we are already there.

Mentally I dont know.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
CATCH17;1906021 said:

Mentally I dont know.

I still think we are lacking in some areas when it comes to talent. CB, NT, another RB, MLB. There is room for improvement.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Fletch;1906080 said:
I still think we are lacking in some areas when it comes to talent. CB, NT, another RB.

Yeah we're lacking in some areas but so is every team in the NFL.

Parity football has a way of doing that. We just have a lot less holes than everyone else.

TonyS

Reaction score
You guys aren't getting it. The playing field has changed now that the Pats have become the juggernaut that they are. From top to bottom they are solid to exceptional. They have a first round pick this year in the top 10, the best QB in the NFL, the best coach (even, or maybe even due to his cheating), the most powerful offense in the history of the NFL, etc...

The only reason the Colts won last year is because the Pats were arrogant enough to think they didn't need superstar WRs. They learned quickly and ran out and got 3 or 4 and now are on pace to break every record they can and go 19-0 for the first time ever.

...and we've got Jerry and Wade and fans saying, "We're close. Wait till next year."

By then Belicheck and co. will be 3 more steps ahead of us.

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
Fletch;1906080 said:
I still think we are lacking in some areas when it comes to talent. CB, NT, another RB, MLB. There is room for improvement.

I agree. Plus WR, GM and HC.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Bach;1906087 said:
I agree. Plus WR, GM and HC.

I know you're still hurting. So am I. But GM is not an option, and we know HC is not either.

On the brighter side of things. We have two first round draft picks, and Jerry said that he feels better about opening up the wallet during free agency if he feels we are close to where we need to be. And most of us know that the Cowboys are on the brink of becoming a dominating force on both sides of the ball.

I personally cannot wait to see what we do in free agency and how we work the draft.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
I would love to believe that if we just add a player here and there it will make a world of difference, but the bottom line is that team's always have talent holes. The talent holes on this team are miniscule compared to what the Giants were working with. Three of their top 4 CB's were out of the game. Their Jason Witten was out of the game. Their #1 WR was just as banged up as TO, if not more so. They had to count on every rookie in their draft to play a crucial role in the game. The last reason why this team can't win in the playoffs is talent.

We've already beaten the Giants twice by double digits, and even in this game we dominated them in total yards, time of possession, 3rd down conversion .... we are the better team from top to bottom and we choked it away because this team finds a way to spit the bit when all the chips are down. It's not just young guys choking under the pressure either, it's the veterans too. Exactly how much more experience does Anthony Henry need before he learns how to tackle the ever elusive, lightening quick Amani Toomer? How much more experience does Andre Gurode need before he learns how to snap in the shotgun?

hendog

Reaction score
I wish Romo would tell Wade -" can't you see me running for my life out there the way they're blitzing the hell out of us? So that's what we need to do to them. Man up, play press coverage and bring mad crazy pressure. If it's killing me just think what it would do to Eli! (or Campbell or Kolb)"

Woods

Reaction score
It may be wishful thinking, but it wouldn't surprise me if Billicheck retires if they win the Super Bowl this year.

He'd have nothing left to prove, and going out right on top with a perfect season, and many people saying with the best team ever.

On a Cowboys note, I think JJ knows we aren't too far away, and I think he'll go after 1 more good WR in FA for sure. I hope we do the Reeves upgrade as well, and re-sign a couple of our guys. We should be in great shape then, barring injuries.

50cent

Reaction score
CATCH17;1906021 said:

Mentally I dont know.

:hammer: , It's fuuny that you say this, because even though we won the NFC East and it SEEMED like we dominated the division, every team in our division beat us this season. They don't fear us and down right disrespect us in our face. Every team in our division wants to play us, because I think they know were mentally soft. When you hear Fletcher saying they couldn't waith to play us after the Seattle game. Then you hear the Giants wanting to play us, there is a disconnect somewhere. Like you said, we have the talent, but I question the mental toughness as well.

ddh33

Reaction score
Good thread. I agree with everyone on just about everything.

I really like the talent on this team. I expect to have an even more talented team next season.

But more than talent, I want some more toughness. I was thinking about this last night, and I tried to name every single player on this team that I would want to be stuck in a fox-hole with. You know, the guy you know would watch your back and scrap, fight, and claw for a win. Here's what I came up with: Romo, Barber, Witten, TO, Terry Glenn, maybe Colombo, Ratliff, maybe Canty, Ware, maybe Bradie James, Newman, and Hamlin. That's it. I would like that list to be longer next season.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
big dog cowboy;1905931 said:
Maybe it's just my perception, but the laundry list for each off season seems to be getting shorter each year. Also take into consideration we went 13-4 this year and beat both teams in the NFC Championship game three times in the process.

Exactly... and you have to throw in that Romo has not completed 2 seasons yet..... YET... he has lost both playoff games by 1pt and 4 pts respectively. I mean if you really look at it.... Look at the Mannings.. .they lost alot of playoffs games and lost control and threw ALOT of INT's in playoff routes.

I think that if we would have went 9-7 last year and 10-6 this year and missed playoffs in both years.... then things would be put in a different perspective.... I think MORE people would see the progress... instead they are blinded with "KneeJerkeritis"

But.... let me say... if this team doesnt take the next step mentally... take more of a one game at a time attitude.... then we will see more of the same in the future.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
YoMick;1906635 said:
But.... let me say... if this team doesnt take the next step mentally... take more of a one game at a time attitude.... then we will see more of the same in the future.
No doubt. We were not mentally prepared to go to war and it showed in the 4th quarter.

Also, if we clinch a bye week next year, Wade needs to keep everybody in town and work them hard to keep them physically sharp.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
50cent;1906131 said:
It's fuuny that you say this, because even though we won the NFC East and it SEEMED like we dominated the division, every team in our division beat us this season. They don't fear us and down right disrespect us in our face.

Good Gawd. You play everyone in the division twice a year. Are you saying that if you don't sweep them all, you can't be better than them? :rolleyes:

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
big dog cowboy;1906663 said:
No doubt. We were not mentally prepared to go to war and it showed in the 4th quarter.

Also, if we clinch a bye week next year, Wade needs to keep everybody in town and work them hard to keep them physically sharp.

Yeah... you know all the Mexico and Jessica stuff was dumb.... but I will say this.....

Romo has to get all the cutesy smiling(not the smiling on the field.. the smiling when talking about his outside life).... nonsense in check.... in the end he wasnt smiling and he couldnt deal with the pressure.... the pressure he put on himself.... he seems to be trying to have that "outlandish" life with the stardom and femaledom.... it could cost him... and us....

LarryCanadian

Reaction score
You know I agree with the comment about Romo. I love the guy. I think he has IT. I think he has great heart, I think he has the talent. I think he has the brains and ability to continue to get better.

I think Romo needs to be a leader though. The QB is automatically ONE of the leaders on the team. If he is galavanting about with Jessica Simpson, well, this is kind of a tough one. I don't care he went away etc. But it gives the impression of eating the cheese. Celebrity bimbo (true, fair, etc or not, it's the perception to public and teammates).

Aikman was a bit of a sourpuss, but he was a leader. Staubach was a leader. You need the guy in charge to be a bit more serious and discreet, etc. Part of that is the choices made while playing. Romo is still a newb, but he isn't 22 years old. He's been in the league for what 6-7 years now. He needs to set a tone with team about maturity I think. He isn't only one, but he is the QB.

Don't get me wrong I think he cares, and is a clean guy, and his mental toughness seems to be there. The maturity and leadership going up would be a help to the other players on the team though.

LarryCanadian