Westbrook: 'I Feel Disrespected'

DBoys

Reaction score
By Bob Brookover
spacer.gif

[size=-1]Inquirer Staff Writer[/size]

spacer.gif

Brian Westbrook's contract negotiations with the Eagles are off again, and that development has left the running back feeling "disrespected" and "disappointed" heading into the team's Monday night opener against the Atlanta Falcons.

"It's just tough and frustrating for me to come to work every day knowing in the back of my mind that I feel disrespected by the kind of offers that I continue to get from the Eagles," Westbrook said, breaking a monthlong silence that started after he reported eight days late to training camp on Aug. 8.

The Eagles unknowingly gave Westbrook a stage at the NovaCare Complex to lodge his contract complaints. The team already knew that the talks had been halted and expected Westbrook to acknowledge that and to say he was preparing for the season.

Team president Joe Banner said the two sides had mutually agreed on Sept. 1 to stop negotiations because talks stalemated. The Eagles didn't know Westbrook was going to publicly air his level of discontent.

"I think this is a situation that is a business situation, but in reality, for me, it's personal," Westbrook said. "Every time I step on the field, I'm productive, and every time I go to the bank and look in the bank, I want to see a result of that.

"For me, my lifestyle, and the things that I do and the things I want to do after football, this money situation is going to affect all of that."

Westbrook, with the assistance of two agents, has been talking to the Eagles about a contract extension for nearly a year. The unchanged problem is that the sides can't agree on where he fits in the salary scale for NFL running backs.

"I think the last 21/2 to 3 years that I've been here, I've brought a lot to this team," he said. "I run the ball, I catch the ball and, for this team, I'm very valuable.

"I think you can talk to the defensive coordinators or opposing players and they will tell you that one of the players they have to stop when they come to play the Philadelphia Eagles is Brian Westbrook."

Banner did not dispute any of Westbrook's claims other than the one that the Eagles have disrespected him.

"He still wants to be here, and we still want him to be here, so at some point, we will resume those conversations," the team president said. "So he becomes one of hundreds and hundreds of players in the last year of their contracts. It's not unusual. It's not a big deal. We remain optimistic that, in the end, things will work out."

Westbrook described the sides as being "far apart" in negotiations.

"When you're talking 3, 4, 5 million dollars, that is a big difference," he said. "I was a third-round pick, so I didn't get $12 million to sign. I got chump change to sign. I've been here for three years, I've contributed to a Super Bowl team, and I think, at this point, I have to find a way to make some money."

The curse of being a middle-round pick is that a player does not get a huge signing bonus. After three seasons in the NFL, Westbrook had made about $1.3 million. With the $1.43 million he is scheduled to make this year, he will have made $2.73 million after four seasons. Cornerback Lito Sheppard, the Eagles' first pick the same year Westbrook was drafted, made $3,725,000 as a rookie.

While the Eagles want to sign Westbrook to an extension, they have a figure that they think he is worth and they are not likely to deviate too far from it, which is why this saga still has a chance to end in a football divorce after this season.

A team source said last month that the Eagles had offered Westbrook a signing bonus of about $9 million, with the first three years of the proposed deal being worth $13 million. The same source said yesterday that the Eagles had improved that offer.

If Westbrook is saying the sides are at least $3 million apart, it means that he wants a three-year deal worth at least $16 million. That's what LaMont Jordan, a running back who had been with the New York Jets, got from the Oakland Raiders as a free agent during the off-season, and Westbrook can easily argue that he has a better resume.

The Eagles compare Westbrook to Houston's Domanick Davis, a 5-foot-9, 221-pound tailback who recently signed a four-year deal that is believed to be worth $12 million over the first three seasons.

It's understandable why Westbrook considers himself among the best running backs in the league. Through Week 15 last season, he ranked eighth in the NFL in yards from scrimmage with 1,515. Coach Andy Reid rested him for the final two games because the Eagles had clinched home-field advantage in the NFC playoffs. The only backs ahead of Westbrook at that time were the elite: Tiki Barber, Shaun Alexander, Clinton Portis, Edgerrin James, LaDainian Tomlinson, Fred Taylor and Curtis Martin.

"It's tough, because when you look at a running back, they say, 'How many 1,000-yard seasons did he have?' " Westbrook said. "Well, Brian hasn't had any, but look at his carries. He had 170-something carries last year. All those other guys had 300-something carries. It's tough to compare, but if you look at the productivity and the things I've done on this field... ."

Westbrook had 250 touches through Week 15 last season. No other back ahead of him among the yards-from-scrimmage leaders had fewer than 296.

Despite his strong case, Westbrook still has little leverage. By rejecting the Eagles' offer, he runs the risk that an injury would affect his value not only to the Eagles but to any other team in the NFL.

If Westbrook does perform well this season and he and the Eagles still can't find common ground on a contract extension, the team has the right to use its franchise tag on him in the off-season.

"At this point, I don't have a choice," he said. "I wouldn't feel proper taking the offer that is much less than market value for myself. I just wouldn't feel comfortable doing that."

The question now is whether he can continue to perform to his high standards despite being unsatisfied.

"I was in Philadelphia last week, and we talked about a number of things," said Fletcher Smith, the agent for Westbrook. "We talked about how he can't allow this situation to slow his production down on the football field. He knows that, and he wants to continue to perform at that level."

Here are some other articles about it;
http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/sports/12598009.htm
http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/news/99-09092005-538876.html
http://www.courierpostonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050909/SPORTS02/509090358/1015/SPORTS
http://www.nj.com/eagles/times/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/112625333667720.xml&coll=5
http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=15182339&BRD=1675&PAG=461&dept_id=18170&rfi=6

DBoys

Reaction score
It's one thing after another with their players this year.

lspain1

Reaction score
Westbrook has a case. The Eagles are telling him that they refuse to assess his value beyond this year. His contribution to that offense is very very large. We'll see if these rumblings affect their play on the field.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
Lets see the big bad eagles do so great without him, he is the most dangerous guy on the field on off, he causes D coord headaches, they should any up the money.

burmafrd

Reaction score
the Eagles usually make it a point to pay for the guys they REALLY need; stiffing Westbrook is pretty stupid. Outside of Owens, and McFlabbs feet, that is the only O weapon they have. And only the second that really worries DC's. Considering that he has proven himself, lumping him with Lamont Jordan (who certainly did not impress me last night) really IS an insult.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Oh please let him be so miffed that chemistry is out of whack even more. Go Falcons on MNF.

strongarmqb

Reaction score
they should any up the money.

Its ANTE up the money..

This situation, although different from TO's is starting to create a perception problem for the eagles with players. And if this type of negotiating and treatment continues, they will find it harder and harder to attract the top players in the league that will want to play for them.

Westbrook is clearly one of their best weapons. Without him, that offense is anemic at best.

Reaction score
I can sympathize with Westbrook, but this is a business and he's under contract to play for "x" dollars this season. From a business standpoint, why would the Iggles pony up a big payday and risk having him go down for the count when he's already under contract and it's his best interest to play hard for next year's big payday? He wants them to take all the risk and lighten their coffers when they don't have to,,, and it's in the franchise's short and long term interest to limit cap spending.

Maybe the more ethical thing to do would be to offer him a 1yr deal that ups his paycheck and retains their franchise tag rights...

Kangaroo

Reaction score
Westbrook will play his arse off if he has a down year he hurts his value on the open market.

He needs to produce a big year that way he has leverage when it comes to money

smashmouth

Benched
Reaction score
Little Jr said:
LOL!!! Change your lifestyle then.
Us poor folk always say that, but if at your job, you made $10 an hour, and guys that were hired in after you made $15 an hour, and you were wayyyyyyyy more productive than they were, would you complain?

These guys work for an industry that make Billions and Billions of dollars. Why can't they get paid for what they provide for the public.

We don't complain about Actors and Singers making their millions - the point is, the guy worked his butt off to get into this league so that he could make the kind of money, this league offers.

It's his responsibility to make as much money as he can, since football players (especially running backs) have the lowest life expectancy in sports.

So for once, I'd like to see sorry fans who couldn't make a million bucks, stop complaining about a person who took on a task, (that we couldn't do) and is making a living at it- and God forbid, he tries to get paid what he's worth in this league.

smashmouth

Benched
Reaction score
EGG said:
I can sympathize with Westbrook, but this is a business and he's under contract to play for "x" dollars this season. From a business standpoint, why would the Iggles pony up a big payday and risk having him go down for the count when he's already under contract and it's his best interest to play hard for next year's big payday? He wants them to take all the risk and lighten their coffers when they don't have to,,, and it's in the franchise's short and long term interest to limit cap spending.

Maybe the more ethical thing to do would be to offer him a 1yr deal that ups his paycheck and retains their franchise tag rights...
You point would make sense, if they didn't treat QB's differently.

Most good QB's get an offer a year before their deal is up - why?

Because teams don't want to risk them hitting free agency, or placing the franchise on them to *iss them off.

So then Westbrook wants to get his contract taking care of now. Why? Because he's been productive and when your worth is at it's peak, you have to cash in NOW!

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
Westbrook is right...The Eagles should pay up...But I hope they don't :D

One of these days this way of dealing with their star players is going to catch up and back fire on them. :D

Reaction score
smashmouth said:
You point would make sense, if they didn't treat QB's differently.

Most good QB's get an offer a year before their deal is up - why?

Because teams don't want to risk them hitting free agency, or placing the franchise on them to *iss them off.

So then Westbrook wants to get his contract taking care of now. Why? Because he's been productive and when your worth is at it's peak, you have to cash in NOW!

Your point makes sense if you take the business out of football and don't care about long term success, but you can't do that, football is a business and success is the goal. Besides, Westbrook IS getting an offer before the deal is up, he just wants more ;)

ravidubey

Reaction score
They're hosing him. Plain and simple. They are hedging their bets waiting to see if Moats can become a player. Once the season ends with Westbrook making his bare minimum 1st round tender, they will let him test free agency and play Moats.

The Eagles figure that RB is not as important to their offense as it is to other teams, despite the difference Westbrook has clearly meant to them. To not pony up what Jordan got (market value) and then say he's done nothing more than Davis is hilarious. Without Westbrook, Philly would not have made it to the Superbowl-- you can only say that about McNabb and Westbrook and maybe TO. Sheesh.

parchy

Reaction score

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
ConcordCowboy said:
Westbrook is right...The Eagles should pay up...But I hope they don't :D
One of these days this way of dealing with their star players is going to catch up and back fire on them. :D

Not if the rest of the NFL franchises establish some cojones.:rolleyes:

TobiasEagle77

Reaction score
Some more excerpts from his PC, McNabb's take, and an interview with his agent:

"I was in Philadelphia last week, and we talked about a number of things," said Fletcher Smith, the agent for Westbrook. "We talked about how he can't allow this situation to slow his production down on the football field. He knows that, and he wants to continue to perform at that level."

"Taking what's on the table is not an option," Smith said

"I'm still going to come out here and be the best running back I can be," Westbrook said.

"When he's on the field, he's one of the most valuable running backs in the league," Donovan McNabb said. "He's our secret weapon."

"A lot of that came from talking to guys on different teams; they were just in awe when he was in there and the things that he was able to do," McNabb said. "Being a teammate of his, you're used to seeing it, but talking to other guys on other teams that are talking about Westbrook's speed, his playmaking ability, agility and the mismatches that he creates.

"I've already known it for a while, but to hear it from other people solidifies a lot of what I'm talking about."