Western Movie Fans. What are your favs.

Wolverine

Zimmer Hater
Reaction score
If you like Westerns what are some of the best you have seen and your favs.
Maybe you have some that some of us never heard or seen that are really good.

My favs that I can think of right now are

The Outlaw Josey Wales
The Last Outlaw
Blood River
High Plains Drifter
The Good The Bad and The Ugly
Young Guns
Young Guns II
Open Range

Those are just a few

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
some of my fave would be:

tombstone
josey wales
the good the bad the ugly
young guns
open range
joe kidd
purgatory
cahill u.s. marshall
the shootist
rooster cogburn
pale rider
true grit
the cowboys
the quick and the dead hackman kicks *** in that one
old yeller
shane
dances with wolves

good topic! you know i love fave lists

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
"I know what you're thinking, punk. You're thinking, "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, I've forgotten myself in all this excitement. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself a question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya punk?"

:D

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
high noon
the wild bunch
the good, the bad, and the ugly
the oxbow incident
my darling clementine
shane
red river
stagecoach
the searchers
johnny guitar (weird)
the unforgiven
winchester '73
destry rides again

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
I break them down into 3 categories. John Wayne films, Clint Eastwood films, all others. Can't help it, that's just the way I like it. If you truly don't like Westerns please keep it to yourself or PM me with your hate. I just want this thread to be about enjoying something. If no one responds...oh well.
John Wayne...

1. "The Cowboys." What a great title huh? Some great scenes with the boys getting drunk and talking brave. Bruce Dern was the most hated man in the US for killing John Wayne in that movie. He only died in a few.

2. "True Grit." John Wayne's best scene in any movie is the gunfight 1 on 4. I still get chills when I see it. My favorite line is his call to charge into the gunfight. "Fill your hand you son of a b---h."

3. "Red River." Oh my gosh, what a great movie. The cattle drive scenes are amazing. Seeing John Wayne play a dark role was awesome. He was also a young man who portrayed an old man.

4. "Stagecoach." The role that won him acclaim as an actor and made him a John Ford favorite.

5. "The Shootist." His last movie. If ever there was a role written especially for an actor to play, this was it. A classic.

6. "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance." John Wayne's first real dark role and he played it well. Lee Marvin was awesome as the villian in this film. Jimmy Stewart was amazing too. Wish they had made more films together.

7. "McLintock." I love it because it is fun. A lot of great comedic lines and scenes. The best is Wayne trying to ascend the stairs drunk and bringing the ladies down with him.

8. "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon." John Wayne made 4 cavalry films. This one is my favorite because once again he was a young man portraying an old man. Victor McGlaglen as Sgt. Quincannon is hilarious. Love the scenes with the CO's wife whom Wayne calls "Old Iron Pants."

9. "Rooster Cogburn." One of the true travesties of his film career is that he didn't make more films with Kathrine Hepburn. The scenes between the two of them are so much fun. Especially when angry.

10. "The Searchers." This one is not for the politically correct but the Duke's acting is amazing. He plays a brooding, angry Uncle Ethan who spends years tracking down his neice kidnapped by Indians. All along he intends to kill her because she has "turned Indian" at the end he scoops Natalie Wood up in his arms to take her home. The last scene of him standing in the doorway, not really fitting in with the civilization inside the house is a tribute to Harry Carey Sr. with his stance. He turns his back and walks away as the doorway frames his exit. Amazing cinematography and at that time highly controversial.

Clint Eastwood...

1. "The Outlaw Josey Wales." From start to finish this movie has more great lines in it than any other I have ever seen.

2. "Unforgiven." Clint as a gunman who can't shoot any more so he gets a shotgun is really fine writing. His moralism and how it fades to hatred and a return to his darkness is awesome.

3. "Pale Rider." Not a well acted film but something draws me to it every time. The young girl reading the Bible and talking about death riding a white horse as he rides into camp is just so right somehow.

4. "Two Mules For Sister Sara." The first time I saw it I was blown away. It was just such a unique concept, a nun helping a hired hitman. Great lines all through it.

5. "The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly." Just a great title but also just a fun movie to watch. If I hear the theme song come on the TV I will come running from another part of the house to see if it is on.

6. "Hang 'Em High." I could not help but wonder how I would want revenge if they had done that to me. Something about it rang true to me.

7. "High Plains Drifter." Cool concept. Ghost comes back to avenge his death participated in by a whole town. The town doesn't know him and he takes them all over. Read the book "Blood Meridian." Don't know why this film makes me think of that.

8. "Dirty Harry." Okay not a western, but he didn't make that many and this is like westerns with great lines everywhere.

9. "Fistful of Dollars." Just a great western. No explanation beyond that needed.

10. "For a Few Dollars More." The sequel was just as good.

All others...

1. "Lonseome Dove." Might be the best western ever made. It would get my vote.

2. "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid." Talk about a fun film. Newman and Redford should have made more westerns.

3. "Quigley Down Under." I love it when the western takes on a new frontier.

4. "The Sacketts." Sam Elliott, Tom Selleck, and Ben Johnson. Three great western film actors.

5. "The Magnificent Seven." Wow what a cast and what a great movie. The theme song is haunting. The story is great.

6. "Ride the High Country." If you haven't seen it you are missing out. Joel McCray and Randolph Scott are awesome as aging gunfighters struggling with duty and honor.

7. "Blazing Saddles." If you don't like this film check your pulse. That's all I can tell you. It's brilliant.

8. "Tombstone." May be the only western that can rival "Josey Wales" for great lines.

9. "Dances With Wolves." The last seen where Winds in His Hair is on top of the hill yelling to him that he will always be his friend is a magnificent moment in film. The whole film is superior.

10. "High Noon." The classic western story of a lone man against superior odds. Grace Kelly is eye candy. Gary Cooper gives the role of his life.

There are so many others. But these are the ones I love.

Gaede

Reaction score
My Darling Clementine, Once Upon a Time in the West are my favourites...John Ford and Sergio Leone at their best.

The Searchers, Wild Bunch, man with no name trilogy are all fantastic and required 'reading' in the genre

Other personal favourites:

Fort Apache-Incredible. The performances are superb, Fonda and Wayne, and Ford makes very relevant points on myth making/legend building.
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance-Similar questions are raised in this film as the one above. Great performance from John Wayne, as Hos pointed out. Stewart's determination near the end of the film is jaw dropping.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
junk said:
Tombstone
Silverado
The Magnificent Seven

Interesting story regarding "Tombstone"...

I was dating a local babe a few years ago... we all got together to watch "Tombstone"... me, her, her family (including her VERY blonde sister)...

Well... things are going well... then we get to the part where Wyatt Earp (Kurt Russell) says:

"You tell 'em I'm coming! And Hell's coming with me you hear! Hell's coming with me!"

So we are sitting there watching... her sister looks at us and says:

"Who is Hal?" :rolleyes:

Wolverine

Zimmer Hater
Reaction score
Dayum theres all kinds I havent seen.

Hey Hostile. One of my fav lines was outta Unforgiven.

-You just shot a unarmed man-

Eastwood - Well then he shoulda armed himself -

That was so funny.

Pale Rider was also really good.

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
1. All of Clint Eastwood Stuff
2. Wild Bunch (Sam Peckinpaw told a gory tale but ultimately it was about friendship, great movie)
3. Tombstone

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
High Noon
Stagecoach
The Magnificent Seven
Dances With Wolves
All of Clint Eastwood
Lonesome Dove
Shane
My Favorite.........Tombstone......I'm your Huckleberry

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
non-traditional stuff... any of the "Trinity" flicks... EXCELLENT comedy spaghetti westerns...

Oh... a little known gem... The Tracker with Kris Kristofferson...

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
The scene in Lonesome Dove where Woodrow Call (Tommy Lee Jones) beats up the man who was whipping his son is one of the most amazing scenes of all time. That is simply an intense scene in an intense movie.

Gibby!

Pom Pom Waving Shill
Reaction score
Yup Kilmer Rocked in that version of Tombstone. I thought it was "Ill be your Huckleberry." I like Toby Keiths Huckleberry too, good goofy slow song (He doesn't do slow very well...)

Most of my faves have already been mentioned except, the original Alamo with John Wayne. I know it didn't do to well Box Office wise, but I liked it :p: .

Upon further reflection, maybe thats not really a western...

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Hostile said:
The scene in Lonesome Dove where Woodrow Call (Tommy Lee Jones) beats up the man who was whipping his son is one of the most amazing scenes of all time. That is simply an intense scene in an intense movie.

Loved that scene.......Man he beats the holy---- out of him. Grat Movie.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Handsome Stranger...ok just joking.

Most of the movies I like was on Hostile's list.

Although I would add the Apple Dumpling gang movies because they were funny.