Open Range
Silverado
Winchester '73
The Naked Spur
The Wild Bunch
The Revengers
The Magnificent 7
Cat Ballou

Another good list... I forgot about Cat Ballou... Support Your Local Sheriff is another good comedy western...

jamez25

Reaction score
trickblue said:
Another good list... I forgot about Cat Ballou... Support Your Local Sheriff is another good comedy western...
those two James Garner movies are great !

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
Hostile said:
The scene in Lonesome Dove where Woodrow Call (Tommy Lee Jones) beats up the man who was whipping his son is one of the most amazing scenes of all time. That is simply an intense scene in an intense movie.

one of the best scenes ever, how in the hell did i forget lonesome dove?

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
AmarilloCowboyFan said:
Tombstone
Outlaw Josey Wales
Long Riders

how in the hell did i forget the long riders? truly one of my alltime fave!!

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
In no particular order:

Lonesome Dove - Fantastic movie, even better book. Won the Pulitzer if I'm not mistaken. Ends with one of my favorite book lines ever:

'He loved that *****'.

The Searchers - Picking John Wayne films is tough but this is my favorite since he plays an anti-hero of sorts. Also worth mentioning that it has one of the most memorable closing shots in cinematic history.

Unforgiven
- The revisionist western of our time. Probably the best western made in the last 35 years. Clint Eastwood is not only an iconic legend from the spaghetti westerns and Dirty Harry but an accomplished director with this rivaling 'Million Dollar Baby' as his defining moment. Neat bookends to the movie as well. All in all a must-have on any list.

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
The Handsome Stranger...ok just joking.

nice reference to the '79 hal needham pic, starring AH-NOLD, ann-margret, and kirk douglas (as cactus jack slade).

if you dig WB animation director chuck jones (roadrunner, BEEP! BEEP!) - it actually had some good gags.

i like jones.... but i LOVE the old tex avery stuff from MGM.

Kendo

Reaction score
Hostile said:
I 7. "Blazing Saddles." If you don't like this film check your pulse. That's all I can tell you. It's brilliant.

Amen brother

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
Hostile said:
The scene in Lonesome Dove where Woodrow Call (Tommy Lee Jones) beats up the man who was whipping his son is one of the most amazing scenes of all time. That is simply an intense scene in an intense movie.

I wish I could put Lonesome Dove on my list but I thought that movie was nowhere near as good as the book. The only thing I really liked about the movie version was the casting of Robert Duvall as Gus. I've read all of McMurtry's Lonesome Dove novels and I think it's a shame how bad the movies have been.

While I'm on the topic of western novels, Louis L'Amour is another one of my favorite authors and he too has been given the shaft when it comes to quality book-to-movie conversions.

Everyone has covered the list of classic westerns. My three favorites might be The Good, Bad and the Ugly, The Magnificent Seven and The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance. It's hard to say because I love so many of 'em. One movie that I didn't see mentioned that I really enjoy is A Man Called Horse. I wish Hollywood would make more westerns these days.

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
This is exactly what the marshall ordered. Really, this is great. This thread affords me an opportunity to get some titles to a lot of westerns than I might have missed ...

Big Jake (The Duke)

The Magnificent Seven (a classic); the Yul Brenner version

Little Big Man (a fiend of Mine lived on the Crow Indian Agency in Pryor Montana. I had an opportunity to have a "personal tour" Little Big Horn; Custer's Last Stand).

Who Shot Liberty Valance (Lee Marvin, the Duke)

Josey Wales (Clint Eastwood quote ..."dying ain't much of a business boy.")

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
I don't remember a lot of the TV Westerns, but my uncle has some of these on tape ...

Sugar foot
Maverick (James Garner)
Texas John Slaughter (Chet Walker)
Wanted Dead or Alive (Steve McQueen)
Half-Gun Will Travel (Paladin)
Raw Hide (Clint Eastwood)
Gunsmoke (James Arness; and Chester)
Branded (Chuck COnnors)
The Rifleman (Chuck Connors)

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
Has anyone mentioned 'The Wild Bunch' yet? Sam Peckinpah needs a shoutout in here...

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
Avery said:
Has anyone mentioned 'The Wild Bunch' yet? Sam Peckinpah needs a shoutout in here...
Yep...If I had to choose one western that would be it.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
trickblue said:
Interesting story regarding "Tombstone"...

I was dating a local babe a few years ago... we all got together to watch "Tombstone"... me, her, her family (including her VERY blonde sister)...

Well... things are going well... then we get to the part where Wyatt Earp (Kurt Russell) says:

"You tell 'em I'm coming! And Hell's coming with me you hear! Hell's coming with me!"

So we are sitting there watching... her sister looks at us and says:

"Who is Hal?" :rolleyes:

:lmao2:

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
I've got to jump in here with my favorites (most of the same ones you guys have) ....

1) Lonesome Dove (I call it a movie even though it was a miniseries. The book blew me away and the film was good, too. The casting was perfect ... Duvall was amazing, so was TLJ, Schroeder, Glover, etc. So many great lines ... my favs being the banter around the breakfast table early in the film).

2) McLintock (Just a personal favorite. So funny and so many funny characters).

3) Dances With Wolves (Another film that blew me away. The scene at the end where Wind in His Hair is shouting from the top of a bluff ... "Do you know that I'm your friend?" Wow. Oh, and I loved the attack scene at the river when the Sioux rescued Costner's character. Awesome.

4) Outlaw Josey Wales (Eastwood at his best, IMO. Chief Dan George was beautiful ... Endeavor to persevere.)

5) The Sacketts (I loved this miniseries. Sam Elliott as Tell Sackett was great, but IMO, the great and underappreciated Glenn Ford stole the show in this movie. What a great performance .... also has Slim Pickens and Ben Johnson, which is great).

6) Chisum (About the Lincoln County War, which I enjoyed ... Ben Johnson was great again).

7) The Cowboys (Bruce Dern is the perfect bad guy.)

Honorable mention ........

Big Jake
Hang 'Em High (filmed less than a mile from where I now live).
Shadow Riders (almost the same cast as The Sacketts)
Quigley Down Under (I loved the woman in that one).
The Rare Breed (Jimmy Stewart)
Cahill: U.S. Marshall (I've met Clay O'Brien Cooper a couple of times ... great

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
Avery said:
nothin' like a li'l good ole slo-mo lead flyin' and blood a-squirtin'..... bill holden and warren oates - you are sorely missed. RIP.

Payton34Smith22

Reaction score
Really all Clint Eastwood westerns but I'll just name 2

1)Pale Rider
2)Outlaw Josey Wales
3)Tombstone
4)Young Guns
5)Open Range

Wolverine

Zimmer Hater
Reaction score
anyone know of any good sites that have all kinda pics of Eastwood in Westerns. Im thinkin of usin one for a new avatar. Somethin from The Good The Bad and The Ugly would be hype. One with that mean look and with the cigar in his mouth.