we've been pretty lucky havent we?

Galian Beast

Reaction score
I mean we got ware, romo, and witten seemingly out of nowhere. i know we got ware in the first round, but who thought he would be such a beast?

3 future hof players. witten is only 26

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
Parcells said he thought Ware reminded him of LT. Gosselin said on draft day in '05 that Ware was the #1 defensive player on many teams' draft boards.

Anyone who saw Witten in college knew he would be good at the next level. The committee that advises college players of their draft status told Witten he would almost certainly be a first rounder. Where we were fortunate with Witten was getting him in the third round.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
id like to say that he is the biggest steal we have on our team, but thats obviously romo as an undrafted free agent. this will end up a larger oversight than brady in the 7th round.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
We don't have 3 future Hall of Fame players, we have several players with Hall of Fame potential.

Right now, only Terrell Owens would get into the Hall of Fame if the career of everyone on the Cowboys were to end today. The NFL Hall of Fame is very exclusive, so very few are a literal lock to get in.

Also, the only luck was with Tony Romo. Bill Parcells stated in the Cowboys lockerroom on ESPN after drafting Demarcus Ware, that Ware reminded him of Lawrence Taylor.

Also, Bill Parcells has a pretty good history with Tight Ends, so I don't think it is a suprise Jason Witten is as good as he is.

Velvet Jones

Reaction score
It is hard to have a team without finding those gems in rounds 3 and 4. If you can get them in 5-7, then that is gravy. We have a lot of misses in those rounds as well.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
you want to find solid players in those rounds, romo IS hall of fame material. hes the best qb playing this year, with brady out, and have been a top 3 qb the last two years..., which is stunning given this is his 2nd full year starting.

HTownCowboysFan

Reaction score
Galian Beast;2457332 said:
I mean we got ware, romo, and witten seemingly out of nowhere. i know we got ware in the first round, but who thought he would be such a beast?

3 future hof players. witten is only 26

Thank the stupid Texans for Witten. They took Benny Joppru ahead of him.

Nerm222

Reaction score
I was frustrated when we passed on Witten in the 2nd round... we were lucky he lasted till the 3rd round that year.

I was also frustrated when Parcells turned to Romo in the middle of that Philly game... I thought he was giving up on the season. Hehe.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
HTownCowboysFan;2457389 said:
Thank the stupid Texans for Witten. They took Benny Joppru ahead of him.

Thank everyone for letting him fall. We almost took him in the 2nd. We were flabbergasted for him to fall to us in the 3rd. Wasn't there some talk of trading up for him after taking Johnson.

Wow, that was nearly a colossal mistake to have missed on Witten.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Maikeru-sama;2457373 said:
We don't have 3 future Hall of Fame players, we have several players with Hall of Fame potential.

Right now, only Terrell Owens would get into the Hall of Fame if the career of everyone on the Cowboys were to end today. The NFL Hall of Fame is very exclusive, so very few are a literal lock to get in.

Also, the only luck was with Tony Romo. Bill Parcells stated in the Cowboys lockerroom on ESPN after drafting Demarcus Ware, that Ware reminded him of Lawrence Taylor.

Also, Bill Parcells has a pretty good history with Tight Ends, so I don't think it is a suprise Jason Witten is as good as he is.

I've seen lots of stories that the Cowboys were close to grabbing Merriman. So close that Merriman thought he was going to be a Cowboy. I remember everyone in Dallas saying if Merriman fell low enough to the Cowboys they'd snag him up. I think the thing with Merriman and Ware was character issues and Ware won there.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
AMERICAS_FAN;2457524 said:
It's all the GM's doing.

Go ahead, you Jerry Jones haters, just admit that he is an AWESOME GM. :D

:lmao2: Verry funny.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
rocyaice;2457534 said:
I've seen lots of stories that the Cowboys were close to grabbing Merriman. So close that Merriman thought he was going to be a Cowboy. I remember everyone in Dallas saying if Merriman fell low enough to the Cowboys they'd snag him up. I think the thing with Merriman and Ware was character issues and Ware won there.

I thought Merriman was better than Ware? :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Bill Parcells almost got too cute with himself when he passed on Witten in the second round for Al Johnson. Witten was widely considered the #1 TE and was a projected 1st round pick in many mock drafts. Some even had him going in the top 10 of their final mock drafts. I was so aggitated when we passed on him in the second round. In fact, I got so mad that I quit watching the draft. Imagine my surprise and joy when I came back to the draft several hours later and saw that we got him in the third. I couldn't believe it. I knew nothing about him other than he was the #1 rated TE.
Thank goodness the Texans, Eagles and Raiders and thought Bennie Joppru, LJ Smith and Teyo Johnson would be better tight ends. I can see the Colts taking Dallas Clark in the first. He and Witten were rated #1 and 2 across the board.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
Nerm222;2457422 said:
II was also frustrated when Parcells turned to Romo in the middle of that Philly game... I thought he was giving up on the season. Hehe.

What did Parcells say to him? Did he remind him that he benched Bledsoe in favor of him against the Giants? :)