Video: We've seen Romo deliver plenty of these type of games Dak just had, yet doesn't get the same grief?

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Good stuff.

It would be refreshing if most team sports conversations (and not just about football) could include regularly discussing more than what the most important position on the team did or did not do during a game. Doing so would not simply enrich conversations much more. It would help with more honest assessments of praise and blame. That would allow far greater fairness for not only players like Romo and Prescott but also for their teammates and coaches, who are very often insulated from scapegoating or do not receive enough props for their contributions.

I know that is a pipe dream. Too many media talking heads do not do it nearly enough. The same goes for too many vocal sports fans. Tunnel vision is sports talk's handicap.

I agree, it would be nice to be able to discuss other aspects of the game without it constantly going back to the QB. It's a little harder to assess what else is going on, on the field without going back and rewatching games or tape though. The eye naturally follows the ball, so you miss what's going on in the trenches or how well all the WRs are running and selling their routes, or a lot of the little things that make or break plays. It's hard to find objective breakdowns and analysis, most sports media is built on the hot takes and there's no shortage of hot takes when it comes to the Cowboys.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
That close? I remember the 49ers murdering us in the regular season. I was surprised the Cowboys almost won that game.

Think about it, if "The Catch" happened today there would be 9ers fans blowing up social media saying it shouldn't have come down to "The Catch". Joe had 4 turnovers that cost them points and they should have won by at least 20 points. Of course, they might be still complaining about that today had that pass been a couple inches higher and they lost.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Romo great?!? I think he was good. But how could you label a QB great that never got us to the NFC Championship game? Let alone a Superbowl.

While he was playing, the expectations for him were huge b/c we knew he was capable of it. His career in hindsight is just good but only for lack of playoff success. However, a more talented QB hasn't worn a cowboy uniform. All Dak has to do is break 200 yards and throw a TD pass every other game and folks are ready to lock him up to a long term deal. He's getting more love with far fewer expectations than Romo.

Flamma

Reaction score
Think about it, if "The Catch" happened today there would be 9ers fans blowing up social media saying it shouldn't have come down to "The Catch". Joe had 4 turnovers that cost them points and they should have won by at least 20 points. Of course, they might be still complaining about that today had that pass been a couple inches higher and they lost.

Oh ok. I read it wrong. But I see what you mean now. They could also say the strip sack at the end bailed out Montana's awful performance.

Dorsett33

Reaction score
While he was playing, the expectations for him were huge b/c we knew he was capable of it. His career in hindsight is just good but only for lack of playoff success. However, a more talented QB hasn't worn a cowboy uniform. All Dak has to do is break 200 yards and throw a TD pass every other game and folks are ready to lock him up to a long term deal. He's getting more love with far fewer expectations than Romo.
Honestly I think you're looking at the wrong stats. I don't care if Dak only threw for 150 yards a game. If that won us a Superbowl that's what counts to me. Another interesting fact is....Dak has played what....45, 46 games thus far? Compare that to Romo's first 45 or 46 games. Or...even Aikman's first 45 or 46 games and it's no comparison. So, for anyone to say Dak has reached his sealing. Or, Dak sucks is premature. Dak is a young QB that has all the intangibles. A great leader. He can make all the throws. His CONSISTENCY on accuracy needs to get better. But, look at his QB Coach. Look at his OC. Romo was good. Aikman was good. Dak isn't as good as either....yet. But, I have no doubt that he'll get there. And I think Jerry will put the personnel in place to help him get there.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Honestly I think you're looking at the wrong stats. I don't care if Dak only threw for 150 yards a game. If that won us a Superbowl that's what counts to me. Another interesting fact is....Dak has played what....45, 46 games thus far? Compare that to Romo's first 45 or 46 games. Or...even Aikman's first 45 or 46 games and it's no comparison. So, for anyone to say Dak has reached his sealing. Or, Dak sucks is premature. Dak is a young QB that has all the intangibles. A great leader. He can make all the throws. His CONSISTENCY on accuracy needs to get better. But, look at his QB Coach. Look at his OC. Romo was good. Aikman was good. Dak isn't as good as either....yet. But, I have no doubt that he'll get there. And I think Jerry will put the personnel in place to help him get there.

Mostly agree. The only stat that matters in the end is wins.

I have no doubt that he'll work as hard as he possibly can. However, as Tim Tebow pretty much proved, no matter how hard you work at something, there is a ceiling to your potential. Nobody worked harder than that guy to improve his throwing mechanics and accuracy. My point is that its not a given that Dak has the same potential as Romo or Aikman.

Another area Dak needs to improve is pocket awareness. He doesn't seem very adept at sensing where pressure is coming from and often rolls right into it.

Dorsett33

Reaction score
Mostly agree. The only stat that matters in the end is wins.

I have no doubt that he'll work as hard as he possibly can. However, as Tim Tebow pretty much proved, no matter how hard you work at something, there is a ceiling to your potential. Nobody worked harder than that guy to improve his throwing mechanics and accuracy. My point is that its not a given that Dak has the same potential as Romo or Aikman.

Another area Dak needs to improve is pocket awareness. He doesn't seem very adept at sensing where pressure is coming from and often rolls right into it.
Pocket awareness is something he'll fix over time. Romo had horrible pocket awareness at one time. To me, Tim Tebow doesn't compare to Dak. I don't know how people compare him to Tebow. Tebow, to me, was not an NFL QB.

Dorsett33

Reaction score
Pocket awareness will come. Romo had poor pocket awareness at one time. To me, Tebow was not an NFL QB. There is no comparison of Tebow to Dak. And you're right, there is no given he'll improve. But we can't know that for sure until he gets the tools (QB Coach & OC) needed.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
why don't we have a homer forum? It seems like if anyone is critical of anything someone will cry about it.
"why don't you find another team" I bet you guys were the last ones picked in a pick up game. lol

bcavi

Reaction score
lol. Crazy how cowboys fans are salty after pretty much clinching the division and winning 5 straight just because their hatred for dak runs so DEEP.

So true... Deeper than a wave ripping a bikini off into the sea... Deep indeed.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
But Favre saved his most interesting comments for Dallas Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo, the player he says he can most relate to.

"Romo is probably more like me than any of those guys," he said. "I don't know if that's good, because I think way too much is cast upon him. Good or bad.

"It's Dallas. And much is expected. But he's carried those guys, man. I mean, I'm watching last year, and I like Tony. And I like the way he plays. I think at times he's underrated."

Favre apparently believes Romo has to deal with teammates who aren't fully plugged into the Dallas gameplan.

"But I'm watching, and right before the snap, he's telling guys -- and you've probably seen it, too -- he's like ... "

"They don't know what they're doing!" Sanders jumped in.

"How in the world are you gonna have a positive play when the ball's coming and you're telling guys (where to line up)?" Favre went on. "But he'll make something out of nothing."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...t-favre-tony-romo-more-like-me-than-other-qbs

Bennie

Reaction score
Pocket awareness is something he'll fix over time. Romo had horrible pocket awareness at one time. To me, Tim Tebow doesn't compare to Dak. I don't know how people compare him to Tebow. Tebow, to me, was not an NFL QB.

Romo's pocket awareness? My god, the man was like a damn jedi in the pocket! Did you even watch him play in his early days?

AzorAhai

Reaction score
When you feel the need to discredit, tarnish and vilify one of your franchises all time best players to prop up a current player, that says more than any statistic or debate ever could.

You think if Mahomes was the QB here and not Dak that this comparison would even need to be made? No. And why is that? Because Mahomes hasn’t left any doubt that he is THAT guy. I bet you can go to a Chiefs board and they aren’t trashing all their old QBs just to try and prove how good he is. They don’t need to.

Bennie

Reaction score
When you feel the need to discredit, tarnish and vilify one of your franchises all time best players to prop up a current player, that says more than any statistic or debate ever could.

You think if Mahomes was the QB here and not Dak that this comparison would even need to be made? No. And why is that? Because Mahomes hasn’t left any doubt that he is THAT guy. I bet you can go to a Chiefs board and they aren’t trashing all their old QBs just to try and prove how good he is. They don’t need to.

You took the words right out of my mouth! Great post!

408Cowboy

Reaction score

If Mahomes took over in 2016 and had the same exact year as Dak he would still get bashed. People have literally said that Dak only won 13 games because he was playing with the team built for Romo. They have also said it wasn't fair not to play Romo because the team was built for him and he didnt even get to use it.

Bottom line is many of Romo's most zealous fans see Dak as having robbed Romo of his last and best chance to win a Superbowl that they feel he rightly deserves. It doesn't matter what Dak does now. For some he will never be forgiven for what they blame him for.

Dorsett33

Reaction score
Romo's pocket awareness? My god, the man was like a damn jedi in the pocket! Did you even watch him play in his early days?
I've been watching since Staubach....so yes. I watched Romo. He got better. But at one point Romo fumbled quite a bit.

AzorAhai

Reaction score
If Mahomes took over in 2016 and had the same exact year as Dak he would still get bashed. People have literally said that Dak only won 13 games because he was playing with the team built for Romo. They have also said it wasn't fair not to play Romo because the team was built for him and he didnt even get to use it.

Bottom line is many of Romo's most zealous fans see Dak as having robbed Romo of his last and best chance to win a Superbowl that they feel he rightly deserves. It doesn't matter what Dak does now. For some he will never be forgiven for what they blame him for.
Why are we talking about Mahomes having Dak stats? That’s a straw man argument. If Mahomes took over in 2016 and put up close to 5k yards, 50 TDs and a 115 QBR, nobody is talking about anything besides the next superstar QB. Nobody.