We've waited for many years to see the Cowboys build the right way

blueblood70

Reaction score
I can't say that I'm not excited to see how this Cowboys' squad shapes up. Finally having a real head coach, and finally putting some beef on the defensive line, the Cowboys seem to be doing a repeat of something they did in 1989;
Modeling the team in the mold of the San Francisco 49'ers- and maybe even the Seahawks.
This year's squad looks as if they will be built to overpower any team they come in contact with on both sides of the ball for the first time in many years. And that's how you build a football team.
I still have my reservations at quarterback; I don't know that Dak won't let us down when it's time for him to lead.
But what they are doing is looking like they are finally serious about playing some football.
And, maybe they'll even add a fullback before it's over. Maybe not.
But this is the first time I've seen them really build as if they knew what they were doing in a long time.
same GM you do realize this dont you?

Im all for positivity and a bright outlook but bringing in a few aged VEt DTs , a S most say isnt great, ids he better then heath?, letting go of BJ, and his replacements at the money are Brown?Canady? backup S are?Gregory coming back replaces 11 sacks from Quinn?

The offense is the same minus cobb and Tfred those will be addressed in the draft and hopefully also a S, wr, and DE..

at this point its on paper it feels different but is it? I mean Bennett and Quinn were nice additions last year as was Cobb, teams predicters had us competing for a SB..8-8

I like these moves but not willing to say its reversal of philosophy..not yet..they are filling holes but wont know if they are great moves until say November 2020...the right way is an opinion at this point..its not like they went out and made a blockbuster trade for Buckner and Adams and brought in a Logan Ryan/Slay to replace a hole at CB..

those moves would be the ones that would get me in the wow loo at those changes mood..

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Makes sense. Some people don’t subscribe to the ‘meet the new boss, same as the old boss’ mentality. That boss being Jerry of course. He’s got a new deck chair on his ship, but he’s still the captain. From an outsider’s viewpoint, I see the Cowboys got weaker in their secondary. I see they got bigger at DT...but it remains to be seen if they got any better. This isn’t McCoy/Poe in their prime. They were both part of a bad defense last season. Offseason changes will bring hope to fans.
Many fans are good at rationalization those changes as good. If a good CB is let go it’s ‘that’s ok, he didn’t get a lot of picks anyway’ (forgetting the fact that he was just plain solid as a cover corner).

We won’t know how good/bad these changes are until we know. That goes for any team. But let the kool aid flow for everyone

Yes a good CB was let go, because he priced himself out of our market. It's called a cap casualty. That's not rationalization, it's just a fact of life. I hated to see the guy go, but that's today's NFL.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I’m not declaring anything but I remain very skeptical after the past 20+ years and can’t get excited over a few FA signings. Just like last year, this roster is way over rated IMO and it’s almost as if some fans have never seen another team play.

I'd bet what's left of my life's savings on that one. Some of the comments here make it apparent.

Reaction score
Remember all the excitement and glorious prognostications when Linnehan was fired? Yeah, me too.

ksadler1

Reaction score
I’m not declaring anything but I remain very skeptical after the past 20+ years and can’t get excited over a few FA signings. Just like last year, this roster is way over rated IMO and it’s almost as if some fans have never seen another team play.

I can't argue your point, and if Garrett was still in charge I'd agree 100%. But getting rid of Garrett, and almost all of the last coaching staff, immensely improved this team alone. This team could finish 6-10 this year and still be better than last years team. It's going to take a couple years for MM to assemble his team, but for the first time in a looooong time, it finally feels like we have a coaching staff that's going to hold players accountable...

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I can't say that I'm not excited to see how this Cowboys' squad shapes up. Finally having a real head coach, and finally putting some beef on the defensive line, the Cowboys seem to be doing a repeat of something they did in 1989;
Modeling the team in the mold of the San Francisco 49'ers- and maybe even the Seahawks.
This year's squad looks as if they will be built to overpower any team they come in contact with on both sides of the ball for the first time in many years. And that's how you build a football team.
I still have my reservations at quarterback; I don't know that Dak won't let us down when it's time for him to lead.
But what they are doing is looking like they are finally serious about playing some football.
But this is the first time I've seen them really build as if they knew what they were doing in a long time.
I think you are way over stretching the significance of McCoy and Poe. though they may have been good or great at one point in their career, at this point, they are perhaps living off their reputation. they both played in Carolina last year and Carolina ranked 23rd defensively and 29th against the rush. that's doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies, since we ranked 11th against the rush.

I am all in for modeling after 49er's and seahawks, but with actual talent that's required (and they have/had).

I am not sure if we are built to over power teams. we did lose Fredrick. man in the middle. key part of offensive line.

btw, we had a full back....we didn't use him, or perhaps use him properly....but FBs are gone by the way side and replaced by slot WR to spread the defense and create running lanes. so losing cobb hurts, so maybe a drafted player, or pollard can fill that gap.

I am not overly optimistic....this staff needs another year...usually change of regime, losing some of your top players, etc. will take time to find players that fit your scheme and you learning about yoru players and adjusting to them. I am not being negative. just realistic.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lol, the Kool Aid is flowing as Jerry is counting his billions due to a few signings after letting his best players walk. Love it!
Jeff Heath? Kerry Hyder? Feming?

Or, maybe you are talking about Jones and Quinn. Best players? Good ones, sure, but these are just two players, and that doesn't constitute "letting his best players walk". Martin, Cooper, Zeke, Dak, Smith etc ... are easily as good or better, and still on the team. And they added some pretty good players too, so let's not act as if all the talent has left and all we have kept or signed is bottom of the barrel. Every team has salary cap casualties, and every team has to deal with them. It's not just a Cowboy thing

aria

Reaction score
You don't have to declare anything. The fact is, we've installed a real HC for a change, and they're starting to build the team with the kind of players they should've been doing all along, like putting some beef on that DL. While the Cowboys are trying to build for the future, you're still suffering in the past.
Lol, still suffering in the past? No, I’m living in the present and being real about it.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

IF Anyone is wondering what going from Garrett to a real HC would do you are already seeing it first hand. DT and safety, which was largely ignored by Garrett are the first things that get addressed under MM, albeit temporary fixes.

Where Garrett simply left the defense to someone else, MM bring in his own guys and makes sure these things get addressed. As Nolan has said, its a big part of what they have been talking about.

aria

Reaction score
I can't argue your point, and if Garrett was still in charge I'd agree 100%. But getting rid of Garrett, and almost all of the last coaching staff, immensely improved this team alone. This team could finish 6-10 this year and still be better than last years team. It's going to take a couple years for MM to assemble his team, but for the first time in a looooong time, it finally feels like we have a coaching staff that's going to hold players accountable...
Man, I hope you’re right but I have a lot of questions and doubt until proven otherwise. For example, how will McCarthy do without one of the best QB’s to ever play the game? How has his coaching philosophy changed during his year off? How will the secondary be without Jones? How will LVE be, he was falling off before his injury. How will Smith be, he looked horrible at times. How will our new FA signings be, they’re past their prime and were let go for a reason. How will the pass rush be without Quinn?

Amazingly enough, the one thing I’m least worried about is what a lot of people are worried about, our center. I think Looney did a nice job when Fred was out in 2018 and will be better than Fred was last year.

ksadler1

Reaction score

Or, maybe you are talking about Jones and Quinn. Best players? Good ones, sure, but these are just two players, and that doesn't constitute "letting his best players walk". Martin, Cooper, Zeke, Dak, Smith etc ... are easily as good or better, and still on the team. And they added some pretty good players too, so let's not act as if all the talent has left and all we have kept or signed is bottom of the barrel. Every team has salary cap casualties, and every team has to deal with them. It's not just a Cowboy thing

You can have one of the most talented rosters in the league, but if you don't have coaches that know how to use the players, what good does it do? Getting rid of Garrett and his staff was huge. I'm agreeing with you by the way...

aria

Reaction score

I never said we signed bottom of the barrel but if you think Jones wasn’t the best player on this defense because he didn’t get a few picks you may be in for a big surprise. The lack of respect he gets on this site is amazing. I’m not a Dak hater but you mentioned him as one of our best players? Lol, seriously? You just confirmed why I’ve said this roster is completely over rated by a lot of fans.

ksadler1

Reaction score
Man, I hope you’re right but I have a lot of questions and doubt until proven otherwise. For example, how will McCarthy do without one of the best QB’s to ever play the game? How has his coaching philosophy changed during his year off? How will the secondary be without Jones? How will LVE be, he was falling off before his injury. How will Smith be, he looked horrible at times. How will our new FA signings be, they’re past their prime and were let go for a reason. How will the pass rush be without Quinn?

Amazingly enough, the one thing I’m least worried about is what a lot of people are worried about, our center. I think Looney did a nice job when Fred was out in 2018 and will be better than Fred was last year.

I agree with your concerns, but MM will make a huge difference. As for LVE, I'd like to see them move on from him. Hate to say it, but he'll be out of the league in two years or less...

fivetwos

Reaction score
Lol, the Kool Aid is flowing as Jerry is counting his billions due to a few signings after letting his best players walk. Love it!
Unfortunately it's tough to argue with this sentiment.

Jerry does just enough to sell hope, which is at times enough to win the division, sometimes not.

Its NEVER enough to go much further.

We are in Browns/Lions territory as far as going deep into playoffs.