WFT Releases QB Haskins

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
If a coaching staff and front office actually get behind the kid he could be decent. He had a great last quarter of the season before rivera came in and never once supported the 23 year old.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Wowzers.

There must have been a lot going on behind the scenes with Haskins in terms of maturity and responsibility that I imagine we’ll start hearing about.

Riveria warned him day-one he was concern about his immaturity. Rather than learning and getting better, Haskins had the CV-19 hotel issues where he tried to slip a family in and just recently the party after a loss w/o a mask. But my guess is Riveria also didn't see enough talent coz as I once heard/read from a former GM, you don't easily give up on talent ( see Randy Gregory )

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Haskins needed to stay another year in college. I said that before he decided to enter the draft.
Another player getting bad advice from a greedy agent. He needed another year to read defenses and mature. But he got big headed over his 1 year success.

Now that does not mean that year would make him a better NFL QB. But it sure would have helped in his maturity and possibly reading defenses.
Things came too easy for him along the way always being the better athlete, but not the same in the NFL as we all know.

As an Ohio State fan, now since he is off the WFT, I wish him luck elsewhere. He needs to get his head on straight first though.
If you are a lock top 20 pick in the draft it would be financially irresponsible to stay in school. and if he parents let him go back to school they should be arrested.

Cmac

Reaction score
Live in the DC area......let's just say he has blown the bridge up a few times. Rivera and WFT had no choice. RG3 looks like a choir boy compared to the Haskin antics, that might be attributed to pure immaturity and anointing as a Captain. Self-inflicted.

OIP.vUe_piaJuR6_4mryUTpmZQHaFS

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
And this is what happens when you draft guys based on puff and projections, rather then what you see on film. Haskins was not a good NFL prospect IMO, when he was coming out. Never understood what people were seeing in him.
They saw good accuracy, 50tds, 6 ints, non mobile qb which game translates pretty well to the nfl. He needed work on the mental parts of the game. You can't do that when your first 2 coaches don't even want you on the team.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If you are a lock top 20 pick in the draft it would be financially irresponsible to stay in school. and if he parents let him go back to school they should be arrested.

I understand that. But in his case he really needed to stay in school. Have another successful year, and be the top QB taken possibly.

conner01

Reaction score
I get both arguments
But he needed to grow as a player so I think as a player staying another year would have greatly benefited him
But it wasn’t like he would have been picked any higher by staying and financially I would have came out myself
I don’t blame a player for coming out even if he’s not a top 20 player. You could get injured, have a bad season or any number of things
But strictly as a player he could have benefitted by staying, assuming he used that time to improve his game. it appears that wouldn’t have been the case with him though

Jipper

Reaction score
No. Rivera said yesterday that Heinke would start if Smith could not.

you guys are missing the point badly....regardless of whether Heinke would start or not, the football team needs at least 2 qb's on its roster on game day....IF smith was potentially a no go, there is no way they would release Haskins and chance having to grab a qb off the street as the backup....

fivetwos

Reaction score
I agree with your point in general...definitely take that pay day while its there....

But in his case, maybe with another year in school he ends up elsewhere and is still employed today.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Live in the DC area......let's just say he has blown the bridge up a few times. Rivera and WFT had no choice. RG3 looks like a choir boy compared to the Haskin antics, that might be attributed to pure immaturity and anointing as a Captain. Self-inflicted.

OIP.vUe_piaJuR6_4mryUTpmZQHaFS

Strong statement......