What’s D-Law’s true value? Opinions?

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I personally value stopping the run almost as much as sacks. D law is amazing against the run. His run def alone is worth 8 million. His sack production is honestly worth 4 million. He’s worth 12. I’d like to see him line up for a whole year with parsons rushing. He can get 10-12 sacks
10m a year

Mobinvans

Reaction score
Dlaw is a good player

Not great but good…I wouldn’t trade him unless you had a replacement

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Dlaw is a good player

Not great but good…I wouldn’t trade him unless you had a replacement

Good player, however, paying him $29m makes him overpaid for what he does.....better value is to play Golston/Basham on the edge on running downs (otherwise Micah) and then utilize the $8m DLaw saving on strengthening the real weakness of the D-Line .......run stopping DT.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
I personally value stopping the run almost as much as sacks. D law is amazing against the run. His run def alone is worth 8 million. His sack production is honestly worth 4 million. He’s worth 12. I’d like to see him line up for a whole year with parsons rushing. He can get 10-12 sacks

DFlaw is an average to good run stopper. His pass rush is below average.

He had some good games at the end of this season but only because he was surrounded by elite/good (Parsons, Gregory) talent and was able to have 1:1 matchups.
He is not an elite player who is able to make others better. He is a player who needs elite support to show up. Without that he disapears.
He is not able to beat good OTs 1:1 on a constant basis (run or pass). With elite talent around him this year he got more TEs 1:1 which he was able to beat.

I would pay him not more than 7 mils/year.

But then i see him as a cancer for our locker room. He is a businessman first, football player second. That brings the wrong culture to a team, from which i expect top have a winning and football first attutude.
He also is more hurt then on the field.

So i would have never drafted him nor signed him to a sec contract. I would cut him as soon as possible.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score

If you do that you've just made the defense extremely intransient. We'll give up the run up the middle and you'll know that the rush will come from the blind side. Now that we know we have in Micah we should be devising our whole Defense around him (im sure that as well as the money, he's the reason Quinn stayed).

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
His value is 19 million in dead cap money.

It's not the Dead Cap that's the issue, it's the $8m you free to reinvest in improving areas of need. I like DLaw, but at that money you'd get better production out of signing Gregory and playing Golston and Basham on running downs, like it or not those two are here in 2022 and hopefully it's time Golston steps up.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
You just answered your on question. You think he is a 12 million dollar player but his cap charge is 27 million. DLaw is over 30 with a bad back and other injury ailments. He is the defensive version of Tyron and many of you want to take Smith out back, Ole Yeller style.:laugh::omg:

Doomsday101

Reaction score

I like him but I also think the cap savings of 19 mill for 2022 season is very important to the team. If there was not cap to contend with I would love to keep him but as it stands I can't see his contract standing. Defense played over half the season without him and did a good job.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
He is worth 1 million dollars per game if you can have him on a year to year non guaranteed deal. The problem with bums like D Flaw is that they want the big chuck of guaranteed money then they do not care anymore. He is a cancer and has done nothing to elevate the team for years. He has been the highest paid clown on the worst defense in the history of the Cowboys. For the love of all that is holy lets just move on already.

Aven8

Reaction score
Dude has that orange Lambo to pay for folks….

quickccc

Reaction score

- As a DE, you don't get record breaking huge contracts, or get stellar All pro credentials or Defensive MVP award for just stopping the run.

- Sacks and quality of pass rush generates the interest and big contracts (ala Robert Quinn) even if it seems one dimensional.
Legit, big league Edge Pass rushers are just too darn hard to come by.
When TJ Watt is getting his record contract deal its about his sack ability, ..ditto Myles Garrett ..when Parsons contract time comes, its' gonna be about his own sack skills.

- DLaw did not get his own record breaking mega contract off being a run stopper. It was his back to back double digit sack numbers that got him that big contract.
Not to disregard the key with stopping the run, as it helps shuts down one side, one edge and makes that DE a legit 3rd down player vs just a situational player.

- Parsons is an excellent run defender and pursuit player- but it's his sheer ability to rush the passer so well from all angles that is generating the attention with him.
He's already very difficult to handle one on one vs pass, and then to have him flipping sides as well as blitzing up the middle gut, and not able to focus and know
where's he's lining up vs pass, is flat giving opposing teams headache fits

fredp22

Reaction score
unbelievably we are in the 3rd worst shape for the cap (good job Stephen) at 21m over-worse than the Rams who are trying to buy a SB. We have won nothing with DLaw who has the 2nd biggest hit at 27m. Next year it jumps to 29M. He has done nothing since signing the contract. We also dont know what players will demand a new contract or who we attempt to sign. I dont think we have much or a choice. I didnt really see a 21m difference when he played this year. He made his guaranteed money and is on cruise. I would cut him more because of the financial mess we are in than for his diminished play.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Don’t see being able to resign Gregory while paying DLaw that much, and it’s not about the cap. If DLaw is going to make 27 million, what is Gregory’s value, even with a discount!

We restructure DLaw, or we cut him.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He is coming off a 7 game season, and you can't pay him based on what he did in 2018. It is unlikely he is ever going to match that kind of production again. When healthy, he is still solid against the run and a disruptive player.

The market for him might be quite robust with teams willing to gamble on his health. He's not giving Jerry a discount or voluntarily giving away the 27M he is owed next year. We might have to cut him.

quickccc

Reaction score

- What's gonna be a problem is his injury trend, ..for all his effort, he cannot seem to stay healthy.
And as a player gets older, they don't get more durable, they tend to get more fragile and even more injury prone. and someone making that kind of dollar amount, he's not gonna be
a part time situational player.

- It's a shoulder here, ..a knee problem there,...a foot break here. ..
and i continue to get a laugh kick outta the excuses for Dlaw with:

" oh he's always being doubled "..,

"oh, he doesn't have a great DT beside him .

." ...oh his run game more than makes up for his lack of sacks."

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I will say this, I do think Dallas will release DLaw and I think someone will step in and grab him and he will make an impact for their defense, it just will not be at the current price tag he is getting right now.

Flamma

Reaction score
Yep. I think he stays this year..

That's my guess too. I know 27 Mil is really high for a cap hit. Had his dead cap been 5M, DLaw would not be a Cowboy in 2022. But since it's 19m, I think he stays one more year.