What’s My Name: Muhammad Ali

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Great two part documentary currently on HBO. Many unseen before footage and interviews of the Greatest.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
I'll take prime Mike Tyson.

Against Ali before or after he lost 3 and a half years? or just at any point in time they fought? And before you answer remember that a 39 year old Larry Holmes took a 24 yeat old Tyson into the 12 round of their 12th round fight. Tyson was great and if he caught you chances are it was over, but he always had problems with big men who could fight. Holmes also hadn't fought in 2 years when he took the fight with Tyson. Personally i don't think Tyson would stand a chance against Ali other than somehow trying to catch him with a big shot

Last edited:

bb721

Reaction score
Against Ali before or after he lost 3 and a half years? or just at any point in time they fought? And before you answer remember that a 39 year old Larry Holmes took a 24 yeat old Tyson into the 12 round of their 12th round fight. Tyson was great and if he caught you chances are it was over, but he always had problems with big men who could fight. Holmes also hadn't fought in 2 years when he took the fight with Tyson. Personally i don't think Tyson would stand a chance against Ali other than somehow trying to catch him with a big shot

I think you might want to double check your boxing history. Tyson knocked out Holmes in the 4th round of that fight. With that said, I’d take Ali over Tyson.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
I think you might want to double check your boxing history. Tyson knocked out Holmes in the 4th round of that fight. With that said, I’d take Ali over Tyson.

Your right i was thinking of Tony Tucker and somehow got him confused with Holmes. My memory isn't what it used to be

Pompey-Cowboy

Reaction score
Ali would toy with prime Mike Tyson. It would be no contest.
Statements like this will only ever be an opinion. Wouldn't it be immense if time travel were possible and two greats from different era's could go head to head at their prime. Boxing, NFL, Soccer, Horse racing, Basketball, Formula 1........

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Strongest, hardest hitting Heavy Weight I ever watched was George Forman. He was bigger and stronger then Tyson but he didn't have quicker hands. Ali beat him after he had been out of boxing for awhile. It would be an interesting fight and I can't say who would win but I can say this, Ali would be a really bad fight for Tyson to take in his prime. Ali is a bad matchup for Tyson because Ali had great balance and agility. Tyson relied on catching guys with short hooks or savage crosses and Ali hardly ever got caught at all when he was younger. Plus, Ali could take a punch about as well as any Heavy Weight ever. It would be an interesting fight and I can't say who would win that one. Would have been great to watch it though.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score

The one fight that everyone would want to see...Ali vs Tyson...both in their prime.

An arguement could be made for both guys. Ali was the better boxer....but he struggled w/ Ken Norton. And I think Tyson in his early years....was way more explosive than Norton.

Tyson struggled w/ guys that had great footwork...and could box...like Holyfield.

IDK...If I had to guess who would win....I think early Mike Tyson probably knocks Ali out. If Ali tried to back peddle and jab and run...Mike probably eventually connects...and in the 80's..you weren't getting up after that.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
The one fight that everyone would want to see...Ali vs Tyson...both in their prime.

An arguement could be made for both guys. Ali was the better boxer....but he struggled w/ Ken Norton. And I think Tyson in his early years....was way more explosive than Norton.

Tyson struggled w/ guys that had great footwork...and could box...like Holyfield.

IDK...If I had to guess who would win....I think early Mike Tyson probably knocks Ali out. If Ali tried to back peddle and jab and run...Mike probably eventually connects...and in the 80's..you weren't getting up after that.

As hard as Tyson hit i don't think he hit any harder than Foreman and Ali took everything George had to offer as far as your comparison to Norton i agree Ali had his difficulties with him but Ali was Also 32 when he fought Norton, not exactly his prime. You are comparing a 22-25 year old Tyson with a 32 year old Ali. I agree that Tyson could maybe catch Ali and knock him out (not sure about that Ali could take a punch better than anyone i ever saw) what i think is that Tyson would never be able to catch a 25 year old Ali, i would Give Ali the win by either late KO or Decision

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
As hard as Tyson hit i don't think he hit any harder than Foreman and Ali took everything George had to offer as far as your comparison to Norton i agree Ali had his difficulties with him but Ali was Also 32 when he fought Norton, not exactly his prime. You are comparing a 22-25 year old Tyson with a 32 year old Ali. I agree that Tyson could maybe catch Ali and knock him out (not sure about that Ali could take a punch better than anyone i ever saw) what i think is that Tyson would never be able to catch a 25 year old Ali, i would Give Ali the win by either late KO or Decision

I'm talking about when Mike was 19-20 yrs old...when he was on his way up....before all the drugs and crap/ media...that dude was a freakish athlete. Explosive...just had an edge that you rarely see anymore....I mean young Mike had something to prove...and quite frankly...that dude was mean....full of hate...and he took it out on people. He was a bully...but like all bullies....once someone stands up to that guy..and puts that seed of doubt in a guys head...they are never the same.

I don't think anybody has hit as hard as Tyson. Foreman was never as explosive as Mike. George was strong...and he could hit hard. But Mike was on a whole other level.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
I'm talking about when Mike was 19-20 yrs old...when he was on his way up....before all the drugs and crap/ media...that dude was a freakish athlete. Explosive...just had an edge that you rarely see anymore....I mean young Mike had something to prove...and quite frankly...that dude was mean....full of hate...and he took it out on people. He was a bully...but like all bullies....once someone stands up to that guy..and puts that seed of doubt in a guys head...they are never the same.

I don't think anybody has hit as hard as Tyson. Foreman was never as explosive as Mike. George was strong...and he could hit hard. But Mike was on a whole other level.

WE can agree to disagree about that

Plankton

Reaction score

The mentally strongest heavyweight gets knocked out by one of the mentally weakest heavyweights? Ali would have psychologically tied Tyson into knots - Tyson would be wild, out of control and would wear down. Similar to Foreman against Ali, Ali would catch him when he tired out, and would take him out.

Tyson was a heck of a puncher, but what really good fighter did Tyson ever knock out? A washed up Larry Holmes? Pinklon Thomas? Tony Tubbs? Carl "The Truth" Williams? Frank Bruno? If you remember with the early Tyson, when he fought James "Quick" Tillis, he was taken the distance and nearly lost. Tillis was trained by Angelo Dundee, just like Ali, and wasn't nearly the boxer that Ali was from a movement and hand speed standpoint, and Tillis gave Tyson fits.

Ali had issues against Norton because Norton did a better job than anyone of being able to slip Ali's jab (his defensive stance of crossing his right hand across his jaw helped neutralize the jab). Norton was fine fighting against guys who didn't move forward, but when he did face guys like that (see Foreman, Earnie Shavers and Gerry Cooney), he got knocked into next week.

Flamma

Reaction score
Strongest, hardest hitting Heavy Weight I ever watched was George Forman. He was bigger and stronger then Tyson but he didn't have quicker hands. Ali beat him after he had been out of boxing for awhile. It would be an interesting fight and I can't say who would win but I can say this, Ali would be a really bad fight for Tyson to take in his prime. Ali is a bad matchup for Tyson because Ali had great balance and agility. Tyson relied on catching guys with short hooks or savage crosses and Ali hardly ever got caught at all when he was younger. Plus, Ali could take a punch about as well as any Heavy Weight ever. It would be an interesting fight and I can't say who would win that one. Would have been great to watch it though.

Ali didn't beat him, he embarrassed him.