What’s up with Amari Cooper?

blueblood70

Reaction score
I think the NY D was keying on Amari. Also the game plan, as possibly Moore figured they would key or double team Amari, try to stop Zeke. So the plan called for more passes to others.
thats the reason you DONT pull him, ie drawing DBL teams etc opens it up..im betting they had packages that for Gallup and Lamb more and give AC some rest yes that foot will always be an issue..

Gallup and Lamb are #1 WRs Gallup is now our DEZ , dude fights for balls in tight coverage and just has energy..

nice that AD inherits 3 #1s to help ease the transition,

CPanther95

Reaction score
Those numbers seem off. Teams usually run between 50-70 offensive snaps per game. Even Gallup at 34 snaps seems very low. Maybe this graphic was intended to depict field time for minutes of offensive possession and not a snap count.

Numbers too high for time of possession. Only thing that seems close is if it is only counting passing plays.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Do you guys really not understand that a big part of the reason Lamb is being covered (and I use the term loosely) by safeties and linebackers is Amari Cooper? The reason there is never a double on Gallup is Amari Cooper. Dude is a baller.. Maybe the foot did flare up yesterday.. He was still out there in the 4th with the game on the line and that 15 yard "git off me b*tch" catch he had on the last drive was huge! Got us out of the shadow of our goalposts and able to open things up a bit more down the field. People need to get over the whole "he makes 20 million dollars" thing. Who cares? You aint writin that check. Dude is a great player and he's on my team. I don't need him to have 10 catches every week to know that he makes an impact every week.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Do you guys really not understand that a big part of the reason Lamb is being covered (and I use the term loosely) by safeties and linebackers is Amari Cooper? The reason there is never a double on Gallup is Amari Cooper. Dude is a baller.. Maybe the foot did flare up yesterday.. He was still out there in the 4th with the game on the line and that 15 yard "git off me b*tch" catch he had on the last drive was huge! Got us out of the shadow of our goalposts and able to open things up a bit more down the field. People need to get over the whole "he makes 20 million dollars" thing. Who cares? You aint writin that check. Dude is a great player and he's on my team. I don't need him to have 10 catches every week to know that he makes an impact every week.

Cooper is literally 6th in the NFL in receiving yards and that’s with the low output game yesterday.

I don’t know what people are watching. It’s like they expect 180 yards and 3 td’s every week.

JayFord

Reaction score
We have 3 number 1 receivers

all three arent going to beast it up every week.....some may be decoys......you key in on cooper then Lamb goes off you key in on Lamb and Gallup goes off

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Cooper was literally #3 in the league in receiving yards before yesterday.

so he has been playing really well.

He is still 6th in the league even after yesterday’s game.

I’m not sure why his snaps were limited yesterday though.

The coaching staff may be trying to figure out a new rotation. Also, the offense got back to the run game yesterday which may have changed the personnel on the field.

That said, his body language at times reads poorly. Dude is temperamental just not a demonstrative TO type of way.

FalseStart75Pozderac

Reaction score
Im not going to read too deep into it. With that much talent at the WR receivers, we aren't forced to look at 1 receiver week in and week out. We got 4 WRs that could lead the team receiving on any given day. Cooper was at an unreal pace before yesterday's game. Some game matchups are going to favor other guys, I feel that yesterday was one of those days. Remember we used to force it to Dez and he would have 12 balls thrown his way and only 4-5 completions? I like the fact Coop can have a 2 catch game and there is no dropoff in the passing game overall cause the other guys can produce. By the way, I really like Ced Wilson is getting a good amount of looks too, he hasn't given a reason not to call his number as well.

Zman5

Reaction score
I'm not sure what's going on with Cooper but I do like the fact that we are spreading the ball around. We are no longer one WR being injured away from the offense going south. CWilson is making big plays and even N.Brown is making key contributions. Same with Shults and Bell at TE.

Aven8

Reaction score
He had 13 catches last week and got us the 1st down on the last drive.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

Is Amari Cooper hurt? As of the 4th qtr yesterday, he was only on the field for 50% of the snaps. This was a curious stat concerning the number of snaps among Cowboys receivers yesterday as tweeted by Bob Sturm . It doesn’t show the final snap counts, but he’s clearly not on the field much yesterday.

His stat line? Only 4 targets and 2 receptions for 23 yards. Again- is Coop hurt? Is there something we don’t know going on with Coop? Michael Gallup had 95% of the snaps to Coop’s 50%? What gives?

I can't say I know exactly why the snaps were split the way that they were, but two comments that were made offer some explanation for Cooper's time and numbers.

The first one is that McCarthy said they were mixing in the receivers to set up Wilson's TD throw to Prescott. They didn't want the Giants to suspect anything, so they had Wilson coming into the lineup quite a bit.

Second, as Romo pointed out, who is thrown to is predicated by what the defense is showing, the matchups. Even though another receiver might be open, the defensive alignment might make a different receiver the No. 1 read or you may initially come off the primary read because a safety is being shaded his way, giving you one-on-one coverage elsewhere.

There's one play in particular that I saw where Cooper seemed to have one-on-one coverage and had gotten by the corner and was holding his hand up saying, "Hey, I'm open," but Dak threw over the middle to an also open Lamb. (I think if he had thrown to Cooper that he might have scored on that play.)

When you have a good receiving corps, it allows you to spread the ball around and pick on the coverage's greatest weaknesses. It also allows you to rest receivers who you think may need it because they are not 100 percent or whatever. ... I think that as long as the offense is successfully moving the ball and the quarterback is finding open receivers that we shouldn't be too concerned about where the ball is going or what combinations are out there. But Cooper's playing time might bear watching from an injury standpoint.

HungryLion

Reaction score
The coaching staff may be trying to figure out a new rotation. Also, the offense got back to the run game yesterday which may have changed the personnel on the field.

That said, his body language at times reads poorly. Dude is temperamental just not a demonstrative TO type of way.

I understand the concerns of his body language. It is tough to read at times. And he doesn’t seem mentally into the game at times.

I do think his overall production is hard to argue against though. In general

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

Is Amari Cooper hurt? As of the 4th qtr yesterday, he was only on the field for 50% of the snaps. This was a curious stat concerning the number of snaps among Cowboys receivers yesterday as tweeted by Bob Sturm . It doesn’t show the final snap counts, but he’s clearly not on the field much yesterday.

His stat line? Only 4 targets and 2 receptions for 23 yards. Again- is Coop hurt? Is there something we don’t know going on with Coop? Michael Gallup had 95% of the snaps to Coop’s 50%? What gives?

that is surprising to see cooper with only 18 snaps...something is up...he doesn't seem as explosive in and out of his cuts.

JustChip

Reaction score
People need to get over the whole "he makes 20 million dollars" thing. Who cares?
Exactly! That’s only an issue if it prevents the team from signing other needed players and that’s not the case. Amari is a critical component to our offensive success. That said, he’s on the downhill side of his time here with the drafting of CeeDee.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Cooper has plantar fasciitis that hampers his game. Don't we all know that by now?

The staff is taking that problem into consideration, so as not to exacerbate the pain.

Amari has been pushing himself to deal with it like a trooper. It's a lingering malady.

Last edited:

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Some great posts in here as to why Coop is valuable to the team but I didn't want to quote them all. I'm not even the least bit concerned about him or his production. He makes an impact on the field even when he isn't catching the ball. Besides, we are stacked at playmakers in the WR department. The ball is being spread around and it's great to see them all get opportunity. Seriously, from Coop to Gallup to Lamb to Wilson, just........wow! :cool: