What’s working and what needs help for the Cowboys

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Reigning NFL defensive rookie of the year Micah Parsons is the star of a unit that leads the NFL with 33 sacks and is in the top 4 in points and yards passing allowed per game.

Mahrer stock is rising after kicking competition in training camp. We released him in 2019 because of inconsistency in shorter kicks. He is perfect this year inside 50 yards .

What needs help is the Cowboys receiving corp . Lamb has been solid but we need more production from everyone . Our young TE’s have shown some promise but overall our receiving corp doesn’t scare anyone .

Our run defense needs help. Dallas is 24th against the run. They gave up 240 yards rushing against Chicago. Cowboys acquired Hankins from Raiders before the trade deadline who they hope will help shore up the interior DL.

bonafidebanter

Reaction score
What's working? Our defensive unit as a whole. I don't know who expected or predicted this defense to be this good but I'll take it.
What needs help? Our rushing defense. Even though the defense over all is fantastic, the yards giving up on the ground worry me a bit. When it comes to the playoffs, we will need to stop runs and get off of the field. The teams ahead of us in the NFC run the ball very well.
What's working? Our WR room is "working". After our FO traded away Amari Cooper, I wasn't a big fan of it. We LOST pieces from the #1 scoring and #1 offensive unit in yards. Multiple players are gone. I'm slightly surprised at our OL after losing both of our OTs from last year.
What needs help? Normally, I'd be the guy that's ALWAYS pointing at the OL, but this WR group needs help more. This help may already be on the team, but obviously someone needs to step up.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Reigning NFL defensive rookie of the year Micah Parsons is the star of a unit that leads the NFL with 33 sacks and is in the top 4 in points and yards passing allowed per game.

Mahrer stock is rising after kicking competition in training camp. We released him in 2019 because of inconsistency in shorter kicks. He is perfect this year inside 50 yards .

What needs help is the Cowboys receiving corp . Lamb has been solid but we need more production from everyone . Our young TE’s have shown some promise but overall our receiving corp doesn’t scare anyone .

Our run defense needs help. Dallas is 24th against the run. They gave up 240 yards rushing against Chicago. Cowboys acquired Hankins from Raiders before the trade deadline who they hope will help shore up the interior DL.

Yep, just not understanding this continued theme. Dak just got back and we scored 49 points last week. What is the problem?

Both rookie TE's have developed into reliable targets. Washington coming back soon. Is Brown coming back?

Lamb, Gallup, Shultz great top 3 weapons. Pollard ready and sitting there to be a feature in the passing game. A Kamara type talent to add to the passing game.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
KM needs help. The wr's overall need help and KM needs to help them by creating more 1 on 1 opportunities by how they line up, moving guys around, and doing a better job of running and passing out of similar formations so defenses can't tee off.

So after a 49 point offensive explosion you come to the conclusion that we need more help at WR?

From where I am standing, thats leaning towards you admitting you were wrong about it all.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
So after a 49 point offensive explosion you come to the conclusion that we need more help at WR?

From where I am standing, thats leaning towards you admitting you were wrong about it all.
True but at least my evaluation was for the entire first half of the season not the outburst we had against Chicago. Which if that becomes more of the normal receiving corp might not be a concern.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

In Daks career, they win well over 90% of games when they rush for over 100 yards and hold the opponent to under 140 rushing yards.

They failed in both categories in the playoff game and game 1 of this season.
Playoff game: 77 rush, 169 allowed
2022 Game 1: 71 rush, 152 allowed

With Cooper Rush they met those targets vs the Eagles and still lost (i.e. High probability they win that game with a fully healthy Dak starting).

The season might depend on their ability to defend against running QBs. Daniel Jones has more rushing yards than Hurts...

USArmyVet

Reaction score
Yep, just not understanding this continued theme. Dak just got back and we scored 49 points last week. What is the problem?

Both rookie TE's have developed into reliable targets. Washington coming back soon. Is Brown coming back?

Lamb, Gallup, Shultz great top 3 weapons. Pollard ready and sitting there to be a feature in the passing game. A Kamara type talent to add to the passing game.

The problem is that not all defenses will be as bad as Chicago was.

USArmyVet

Reaction score

...a 49 point game dictated mainly by the Dallas defense and the Dallas running game....so yes, WR help is needed.

DanA

Reaction score
What's working:

1. Dak's expanded game
Last game we saw
  • RPO's - With Ceedee at RB
  • Read Options - Dak run it in for a TD
  • A QB sneak - Dak ran 25 yards on it
  • Plenty of play action - Around 1/3 of Dak's drop backs
The variety suits him and we got a lot of big plays from it.​

2. Moore's scheming
Last game we saw:
  • A successful jet sweep by Turpin for 11 yards
  • Ceedee in motion, runs a wheel route for a 20 yard TD catch
  • A Triple TE set, run for six straight plays with 5 of them successful
  • A heap of 12 personnel around 40% of snaps
3. The running back combination

We're seeing both Zeke and Pollard contribute at a high level. Zeke get more production than past years while Pollard is playing a bigger part and has the leagues best YPC.​

What's not working:

1. The false starts
A lot of them are the rookies which is understandable but they need to be cleaned up in general.​

2. The run defense
The edge rushers just need to dial it back a bit against QB's that use their leagues and do a bit better job setting the edge on run downs but I don't want the edge rushers to change too much.​

What needs help
1. The linebackers
Opposition O-linemen are getting hands on them to easily at the second level. Hopefully Hankins can hold up the linemen and Clark can use his speed to bypass them and improve things in general for the run game.​

Starstruck22

Reaction score
What's working:

1. Dak's expanded game
Last game we saw

2. Moore's scheming
Last game we saw:

We're seeing both Zeke and Pollard contribute at a high level. Zeke get more production than past years while Pollard is playing a bigger part and has the leagues best YPC.​

What's not working:

1. The false starts
A lot of them are the rookies which is understandable but they need to be cleaned up in general.​

2. The run defense
The edge rushers just need to dial it back a bit against QB's that use their leagues and do a bit better job setting the edge on run downs but I don't want the edge rushers to change too much.​

What needs help
1. The linebackers
Opposition O-linemen are getting hands on them to easily at the second level. Hopefully Hankins can hold up the linemen and Clark can use his speed to bypass them and improve things in general for the run game.​
Dump LVE for Clark……problem solved.

cnuball21

Reaction score
What’s working:
- Run game
- Pass game (TBD - so far so good with Dak)
- Run blocking
- Special Teams
- Pass rush
- Pass D

What needs help:
- Run D
- Pass Protection

Parsons playing more MLB i’m base downs and the addition of Hankins would help the run game but it seems we’re too stubborn to move Parsons. A little worried about our pass pro against good teams if we have to throw more but hoping Tyron comes back strong and healthy.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
I think McCarthy is building something special here. So I'm just going to sit back and enjoy the ride.

cnuball21

Reaction score
What's working:

1. Dak's expanded game
Last game we saw

2. Moore's scheming
Last game we saw:

What's not working:

1. The false starts

2. The run defense

What needs help
1. The linebackers

I think our O is at its best when Dak is under center a little more and we’re using motion and/or PA a lot.

Now that he’s healthy it’s great to see Kellen calling more if that b/c I think our O will be balanced and very efficient and still have explosive plays.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
True but at least my evaluation was for the entire first half of the season not the outburst we had against Chicago. Which if that becomes more of the normal receiving corp might not be a concern.

True, but the first 3 games were without Gallup and Shultz and the first 6 were basically Rush and a dumbed down run offense.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
The problem is that not all defenses will be as bad as Chicago was.

Chicago had the #1 pass defense in the NFL at the time. Better than ours. Has anyone else put up 49 on the Bears? Has anyone put on 49 on anyone this year? No because it was the highest points scored on the year.

Anything else?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
...a 49 point game dictated mainly by the Dallas defense and the Dallas running game....so yes, WR help is needed.

Dak went for 280 yards and 3 TD's. Any other laughable statements you want be to blow out of the water?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
True, but the first 3 games were without Gallup and Shultz and the first 6 were basically Rush and a dumbed down run offense.
I understand . My evaluation was a broad-stroke of the first 8 games cumulatively. If you want to break it down individually or in a group that’s fine .

conner01

Reaction score

Washington will be back soon
Gallup has looked better each week back
I’m not as worried as some
But you hit the nail on the head in how to really help
Get Pollard the ball out in space and let him do his thing
Force teams to account for him

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score

It was 42 points but your point is still valid.