What 3 of 4 conference finalists had in common in free agency

Loso86

Reaction score
I'd much rather pay Quinn
Really. I'd rather give 5 more million to the 27 year old more productive that can also be used in a hybrid 3-4 and drop into coverage. Then a 31byear old situationsi pass rusher

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

75boyz

Reaction score
They have to be the right free agents not just the ones asking for the most money. The two Smith's are getting paid about $4 million a year less than our Demarcus Lawrence. I would argue Lawrence was a high priced Free Agent who was overpaid by a lot. They cannot make any more mistakes like that. Between Zeke and Lawrence they threw away a ton of money and cap space and may never get the value for it.

This. True and totally agree, but to be able to accomplish the so called "sensible 2020s NFL contract signings" is an art form that has become extinct in the eyes of Cowboy ownership. Just the ability to get exactly those couple or so you referred to at an even modestly overpriced rate seems to be an extreme challenge nowadays.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
In offseason, KC, SF and GB knew they had strong offenses but knew they needed to be active in the FIRST WAVE of free agency on defense to put them over the top. KC signed Frank Clark, Tyrann Matthieu, Alex Okafor. SF signed Kwon Alexander (after hitting a home run with Nick Bosa in Draft). GB signed Preston Smith, Zadarius Smith, Adrian Amos... If Jerry truly believes this roster is ready for a deep playoff run, we need to learn a lesson and do the same. No more penny pinching this year in second wave. In first wave of free agency, sign a DT, NT, S, and resign Quinn.
Defense and a running game wins and travels well. We did not have either on a consistent basis last year. This team is a GM, DT, LB, S from the NFC Conference Championship game if they resign Dak and Cooper. Let them walk and you are back at no leadership at QB, and no no.1 WR to help your QB and RB.

Sandyf

Reaction score
In offseason, KC, SF and GB knew they had strong offenses but knew they needed to be active in the FIRST WAVE of free agency on defense to put them over the top. KC signed Frank Clark, Tyrann Matthieu, Alex Okafor. SF signed Kwon Alexander (after hitting a home run with Nick Bosa in Draft). GB signed Preston Smith, Zadarius Smith, Adrian Amos... If Jerry truly believes this roster is ready for a deep playoff run, we need to learn a lesson and do the same. No more penny pinching this year in second wave. In first wave of free agency, sign a DT, NT, S, and resign Quinn.
I would also add a TE like Hunter Henry or Austin Hooper.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
Stephen is more proud that we left like $10m on the table this past season. Winning cheaply is more important to the Jones’ than winning

Reaction score
Says the guy who somehow thinks that his opinion alone means more than actual production and stats.
:facepalm:

You need to get over yourself. You're not that important.

Dude, you're off on some weird tangent talking about our importance,,, wt?.

and your critical thinking skills are beyond suspect. This offense failed and failed repeatedly when it was needed most. All the garbage stats will not change that.

Mr_437

Reaction score
The blueprint used by these other teams will be ignored because the Cowboys are the smartest team in the league, so they don't need to copy Championship teams.

Offensively, DAL really needs to get a bonafide FB. MM always had decent FBs, and the hope is he continues with that trend. Olawale is trash at lead blocking...a finesse FB defeats the purpose.

Defense build up the middle (NT, LB, S) in FA then draft the outside (Edge, CB).

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
As long as they don’t have to mortgage the future, cap wise, I’m all for it.

Jake0

Reaction score
They didn't spend any money cause they want to keep their guys. We'll see who gets paid, Zeke already paid. Dak, Amari, Byron, and more.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Love THIS...literally laughed out loud. The more that things change, the more they stay the same.

Excellent post.
It was a horrible post and just childish banter not based on anything but an ignorant fans conspiracy theory.

exciter

Reaction score
IMO, unlikely.

I expect new coach means you spend a year evaluating what you've got instead of making a big splash in free agency.
So a head coach needs a whole season to determine what anyone who's watched can figure out... they need dline, safety, secondary help and a TE. Exactly what's the purpose of him spending the offseason watching film? How bout evaluate and fix now... coach during the season!

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Now do for all the other teams that were active on day 1 in free agency.

Fmart322

Reaction score
I suppose that depends on how we approach our own FA. One of the reasons we have money to spend is a lot of our guys are free agents and the ones we may want to keep are not going to come cheap

as to the original comment about timing, I think our FA and this strategy of early adoption are related.

mid McCarthy has time to get a feel for our current free agents and we can get a consensus on who to keep then how quickly we address our own plqywra will determine what we go after in AA
I was counting our FA into this scenario. The Cowboys have been somewhat solid dealing with their own FA crop, that's one reason we have so much cap space.
I doubt we overpay all of our own.