News: What a Cowboys offense without Amari Cooper means for Kellen Moore, Mike McCarthy

zekecowboy

Reaction score
What a Cowboys offense without Amari Cooper means for Kellen Moore, Mike McCarthy

Moore was never able to consistently scheme touches for Cooper, who makes a difference with the ball in his hands. This inconsistency is a huge reason why the Cowboys struggled to overcome their league-high in penalties this season. Cooper has ten games with 100 or more receiving yards in three years with the Cowboys, two without Dak Prescott in 2019, and 15 games with less than 50 yards.

The names may change each offseason, but the Cowboys tried and true process of over-hyping their talent level, creating their own cap issues by extending these players after they’ve created leverage against the front office, and acting surprised by an end result of simply not being good enough is maddening.

Even the biggest fans of Michael Gallup’s game can understandably find it difficult to get hyped about the 2018 second-round pick taking on a bigger role solely because of the Cowboys losing Cooper. Schematically, this move would also be on par with the Cowboys recent offseason moves.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...ns-for-kellen-moore-mike-mccarthy-ceedee-lamb

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
The names may change each offseason, but the Cowboys tried and true process of over-hyping their talent level, creating their own cap issues by extending these players after they’ve created leverage against the front office, and acting surprised by an end result of simply not being good enough is maddening business as usual.

No point in getting mad, anymore. Just sit back and wait for Jerry to be the last to know that he failed, again.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Losing Cooper is not a disaster for this offense. He is a good- not great receiver. His numbers make that crystal clear. He had less YAC last year than Dalton Schultz, Cedric Wilson and Tony Pollard. He avg a little over 12 yds per reception the last two seasons. That’s possession receiver numbers

He’s a great route runner which makes him valuable. But he’s not a big play threat every down like about 20 other receivers in this league.

Again, Coop is a very good receiver. At this point in his career, I see him as a really good possession receiver. Not a $20 mil a year star like he was being counted on to be.

zekecowboy

Reaction score
No point in getting mad, anymore. Just sit back and wait for Jerry to be the last to know that he failed, again.

I am way past getting mad, at this point its just entertainment value.

It’s hard to know what this team’s plans are if they move on from Cooper, but nothing about how they’ve handled it creates confidence And for an organization that has shown they aren’t built to last, another round of unpredicted roster shake-ups brings about a lot of questions heading into the future. Will this year’s roster be better/worse? Are they wasting away the prime years of Dak Prescott? Will they ever get it right? Who really knows the answers to those questions, but the carelessness of how they’ve handled the Cooper situation doesn’t make us feel optimistic about where this team is going.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...-than-just-the-salary-cap-stephen-jerry-jones

DandyDon52

Reaction score
What a Cowboys offense without Amari Cooper means for Kellen Moore, Mike McCarthy

Moore was never able to consistently scheme touches for Cooper, who makes a difference with the ball in his hands. This inconsistency is a huge reason why the Cowboys struggled to overcome their league-high in penalties this season. Cooper has ten games with 100 or more receiving yards in three years with the Cowboys, two without Dak Prescott in 2019, and 15 games with less than 50 yards.

The names may change each offseason, but the Cowboys tried and true process of over-hyping their talent level, creating their own cap issues by extending these players after they’ve created leverage against the front office, and acting surprised by an end result of simply not being good enough is maddening.

Even the biggest fans of Michael Gallup’s game can understandably find it difficult to get hyped about the 2018 second-round pick taking on a bigger role solely because of the Cowboys losing Cooper. Schematically, this move would also be on par with the Cowboys recent offseason moves.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...ns-for-kellen-moore-mike-mccarthy-ceedee-lamb
I am listening to the top poscast, just 2 guys
talking about cowboys fo and the amari thing and gallup thing, it is pretty good.
link in the op.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I'm ordering extra Bourbon for the upcoming season as Dak Friendly will provide many laughs esp in the Red Zone......:oops:
Yes laughs as I've cried enough over Jerry's circus!!!!

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm ordering extra Bourbon for the upcoming season as Dak Friendly will provide many laughs esp in the Red Zone......:oops:
I had a ritual of having a couple ET Lee's during the game when it was easy to find. Now, not so much

MoistMayonnaise

Devil's Advocate
Reaction score
He was third in targets behind Lamb and Schultz. Can't produce if you don't get the ball. Dak isn't good on the check down, and we run routes that take time to develop. Not a great combination.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

I know you've a particular dislike for Dak, but the circus was in town long before him and will continue when he's gone. :(

He's just one of the symptoms of the disease, which will continue to live through Jerry's bloodline for the foreseeable future.

We'll need liver transplants before the Cowboys ever get to another Super Bowl.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
giphy-15.gif

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I know you've a particular dislike for Dak, but the circus was in town long before him and will continue when he's gone. :(

He's just one of the symptoms of the disease, which will continue to live through Jerry's bloodline for the foreseeable future.

I don't dislike Dak.......I find myself wanting to throw up having Jerry hand over our team to such an inept QB and another generation pool of talent being wasted!

Happy Pappy?????

Last edited:

Mannix

Reaction score
Please don't get me wrong...I do think Cooper being gone will be best in the long run. But Duk Pratfall is gonna look soooo lost next year, that NO WAY will Payton want any part of the mess.

Cmac

Reaction score
....it means CeeDee is going to get ruined and KMoore will just have that same look on the sidelines.
usatsi_13278813.jpg

nobody

Reaction score
Losing Cooper is not a disaster for this offense. He is a good- not great receiver. His numbers make that crystal clear. He had less YAC last year than Dalton Schultz, Cedric Wilson and Tony Pollard. He avg a little over 12 yds per reception the last two seasons. That’s possession receiver numbers

He’s a great route runner which makes him valuable. But he’s not a big play threat every down like about 20 other receivers in this league.

Again, Coop is a very good receiver. At this point in his career, I see him as a really good possession receiver. Not a $20 mil a year star like he was being counted on to be.

He's not worth what his salary is, that's for sure. Neither is our QB... and look at Dak's QBR with Cooper on the field as opposed to off the field. Without a viable replacement, the team is definitely getting worse when they get rid of Cooper and they're doing it in the dumbest imaginable way.

Blackrain

Reaction score
Use money saved from Cooper to get Ryan Jensen to bolster the center of our offensive line that would be taking from an area where we are strong to fix an area where we are very weak

75boyz

Reaction score

You're one of my favorite posters but our opinions on Dak differs.
I am not a good enough to win with QB IF he has ALL the right pieces around him AND ALL circumstances are ideal type starting QB at 3rd most highest paid at his position. He can't carry a team if circumstances aren't perfect and I expect more.

I do not see progression.I see regression at the QB position. Stagnation at best.

The Cowboy firetriangle of GM, HC and QB1 all have individual roles in the outcome of games. Their job description requires them to do more than what they are doing imo. Besides GM, this coach and QB are also failing at their jobs. IF these 2 central symptoms of this disease could be improved upon, there would be as close to a cure as we're gonna see.

Would it ultimately cure the disease? Most likely not, but improved coaching and quarterbacking would provide the closest visible remission as could be hoped for.

And I already know you share my views on this coach.

jmo

Last edited:

quickccc

Reaction score

- Gallup is a No.2 type guy,… not the makeup, alpha mentality and consistency to be featured, lead WR.
But they are likely re-signing him as a No.2 guy.

- His durability trend is worrisome, - he missed more than a month with a calf injury and eventually he blew out his ACL in Niners playoffs, ….and he’s missed games in 2019,..
With Cooper and Lamb, the thought and vision was 1A and 1B as bookend starters , while Gallup becomes a key 3rd WR.

- Now it’s more Lamb 1 with Gallup 2, .. and it remains to be seen if it will take a full season to see if Gallup can eventually return to previous form.
Considering the time he got the ACL, I just don’t see it happening as it’s been reporting. I’m thinking PUP to start the season, and then work his way up.

- Even if Gallup and Wilson are re-signed , I expect a drafted WR in the mid rounds (4th-5th) as their next developmental, special teams Ced Wilson type.
We're gonna need more key depth and development in the WR unit.

Einstein

Reaction score

Larry Fitzgerald was a possession WR too, but you wouldn't have cut him at 27...