News: What a Cowboys offense without Amari Cooper means for Kellen Moore, Mike McCarthy

ondaedg

Reaction score
Losing Cooper is not a disaster for this offense. He is a good- not great receiver. His numbers make that crystal clear. He had less YAC last year than Dalton Schultz, Cedric Wilson and Tony Pollard. He avg a little over 12 yds per reception the last two seasons. That’s possession receiver numbers

He’s a great route runner which makes him valuable. But he’s not a big play threat every down like about 20 other receivers in this league.

Again, Coop is a very good receiver. At this point in his career, I see him as a really good possession receiver. Not a $20 mil a year star like he was being counted on to be.

As long as we replace Cooper with someone who can demand similar attention or more from DCs then we'll be fine. The question is who that is. Otherwise our offense is going to struggle and it wouldn't matter who our QB is because Ceedee and Gallup aren't on the same level as the WRs who were in this year's playoffs.

ondaedg

Reaction score
- Gallup is a No.2 type guy,… not the makeup, alpha mentality and consistency to be featured, lead WR.
But they are likely re-signing him as a No.2 guy.

- His durability trend is worrisome, - he missed more than a month with a calf injury and eventually he blew out his ACL in Niners playoffs, ….and he’s missed games in 2019,..
With Cooper and Lamb, the thought and vision was 1A and 1B as bookend starters , while Gallup becomes a key 3rd WR.

- Now it’s more Lamb 1 with Gallup 2, .. and it remains to be seen if it will take a full season to see if Gallup can eventually return to previous form.
Considering the time he got the ACL, I just don’t see it happening as it’s been reporting. I’m thinking PUP to start the season, and then work his way up.

- Even if Gallup and Wilson are re-signed , I expect a drafted WR in the mid rounds (4th-5th) as their next developmental, special teams Ced Wilson type.
We're gonna need more key depth and development in the WR unit.

I agree that we have to draft at least 1 WR because I'm not sold on Wilson as a #3. He lacks strength, speed and just flat out looks wobbly. Dak threw some incredible throws to Wilson and while I'll give Cedric credit for making some tough catches he benefited from the other 3 WRs being on the field. Nothing against Cedric just giving my opinion on him. He did come through in some clutch situations though.

quickccc

Reaction score
As long as we replace Cooper with someone who can demand similar attention or more from DCs then we'll be fine. The question is who that is. Otherwise our offense is going to struggle and it wouldn't matter who our QB is because Ceedee and Gallup aren't on the same level as the WRs who were in this year's playoffs.

we'll likely struggle more so because of coaching failures and the starting QB not be able to overcome counter schemes, than it will be our WRs not being to win matchups .
we struggles several games on, even with Cooper.

Haimerej

Reaction score
He had less YAC last year than Dalton Schultz, Cedric Wilson and Tony Pollard.

It's probably pretty normal for guys who catch screen passes to have a lot of YAC. Cedric benefitted from some busted coverages and long plays. I don't think this point is as meaningful as you think.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
yeah, the guy getting no yards or catch doesn't have anything to do with playing with a scared QB. the baby dak can't see when he's in terror mode.

"hi-five coop is bad it doesn't have anything to do with the crap quarterback" *hi-five*