What a draft!

superpunk

Reaction score
Early returns are outstanding.

We saw what he had in Felix. It's terrible that he won't be there for this possible playoff run, that would be a valuable weapon on offense and special teams.

Jenkins has been off and on. But you have to like the flashes, I think.

Bennett has delivered. Guys like Fred Davis have barely sniffed the ball this year. Bennett is making plays, and has plays designed for him, like that TE screen. Big impact.

Choice has come up huge. He's basically the only RB we have. We've seen excellent blitz pickups, clutch running, and putting up big numbers against some of the best fronts in the NFL.

Orlando Scandrick. I think this is my favorite choice so far. I don't know if everyone appreciates how amazing it is that we let this guy man up in the slot, as a rookie. Wow. It really looks like we stole one here.

Can we have any complaints outside of Erik Walden, lol? I have to give it up to our scouts and front office guys for a draft like this. I think you have to admit that this draft is one of the MAJOR reasons that we're still alive for the playoffs. Without Choice and Scandrick, where would we be?

That's impressive.

Temo

Reaction score
Only complaint has to be the lack of Offensive line production from the draft in recent years. I realize the cowboys seem to be taking a FA approach to the O-Line (build through free agents, not the draft-- nothing wrong with that either as guys like Kosier, Columbo, Davis, and even Holland), but at least picking up a decent back up in the draft would be nice.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I agree. Our best draft in awhile. However, we still need to wait the obligatory three years before pronoucing a final verdict. Early returns are promising to say the least.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
It feels weird to see an immediate impact from a draft class. It seems like we've been counting on the 3 year rule more often than not for our picks....for years now.

...and the fact that these guys are making an impact on an already talented team is even more impressive.

I'm gonna have to give the nod to Choice as my favorite. This kid is electric on and off the field. His parents should be very proud.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
superpunk;2495584 said:
Early returns are outstanding.

We saw what he had in Felix. It's terrible that he won't be there for this possible playoff run, that would be a valuable weapon on offense and special teams.

Jenkins has been off and on. But you have to like the flashes, I think.

Bennett has delivered. Guys like Fred Davis have barely sniffed the ball this year. Bennett is making plays, and has plays designed for him, like that TE screen. Big impact.

Choice has come up huge. He's basically the only RB we have. We've seen excellent blitz pickups, clutch running, and putting up big numbers against some of the best fronts in the NFL.

Orlando Scandrick. I think this is my favorite choice so far. I don't know if everyone appreciates how amazing it is that we let this guy man up in the slot, as a rookie. Wow. It really looks like we stole one here.

Can we have any complaints outside of Erik Walden, lol? I have to give it up to our scouts and front office guys for a draft like this. I think you have to admit that this draft is one of the MAJOR reasons that we're still alive for the playoffs. Without Choice and Scandrick, where would we be?

That's impressive.
The problem is we couldn't have had a good Draft because our GM is so inept. He can't possibly have assembled any kind of good scouting staff who know what they are doing. He's not a football guy and he needs to step aside and let a football guy make mistakes instead of his mistakes. [/tongue removed from cheek]

Oh, and Scandrick...kid is going to be better once he gets real time. Jenkins needs minor fine tuning. What a paid of CBs in one Draft and I agree we hit on every pick save one we tried to bring along on the PS.

HoosierCowboy

Put Pearson in the HOF
Reaction score
Temo;2495641 said:
Only complaint has to be the lack of Offensive line production from the draft in recent years. I realize the cowboys seem to be taking a FA approach to the O-Line (build through free agents, not the draft-- nothing wrong with that either as guys like Kosier, Columbo, Davis, and even Holland), but at least picking up a decent back up in the draft would be nice.

put that on Genius Tuna's report card

newlander

Reaction score
I agree: best draft for the 'boys in................? years. I can't remember a draft this good. To have Felix last night.....we would've won by 20 IMO. HE's the ultimate blitz buster. Scandrick is good, but has some more work to do. Smith wore him out a little bit last night. But Smith is quite a talent at the slot position: I knew after his performance in the playoffs last year, he'd be a pain in the rear for years to come.

As for our draft next year: can anyone say SAFETY and/or Olinemen?

superpunk

Reaction score
tomson75;2495660 said:
It feels weird to see an immediate impact from a draft class. It seems like we've been counting on the 3 year rule more often than not for our picks....for years now.

...and the fact that these guys are making an impact on an already talented team is even more impressive.

I'm gonna have to give the nod to Choice as my favorite. This kid is electric on and off the field. His parents should be very proud.
You know who had huge impacts from their rookie class last season?

Yeah, the New York Giants. We've had to lean on ours a little heavier due to injury, but they've stepped up, the defense has stepped up, things are coming together.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
superpunk;2495713 said:
You know who had huge impacts from their rookie class last season?

Yeah, the New York Giants. We've had to lean on ours a little heavier due to injury, but they've stepped up, the defense has stepped up, things are coming together.
Good post.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
tomson75;2495660 said:

I keep pointing this out, but I think 2005 made just as much of an impact as this one. The difference is the guys making the impact are at the skill positions.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2495723 said:
I keep pointing this out, but I think 2005 made just as much of an impact as this one. The difference is the guys making the impact are at the skill positions.

Good point. That was an outstanding draft as well....it's just that damn Pettiti....seems like he was the only guy we discussed that year. :D

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2495723 said:
2005 was an all time great draft. This one doesn't compare yet, but it could equal it in time.

But if you look at the past 2 offseasons as a whole, they've been phenomenal. NFL GM's have one job in terms of winning games -- adding talent. In 3 of the last 4 offseasons, Jerry's hit the ball out of the park. And in that one year that wasn't necessarily a homerun, he added Terrell Owens.

DallasInDC

Reaction score
Hostile;2495670 said:
The problem is we couldn't have had a good Draft because our GM is so inept. He can't possibly have assembled any kind of good scouting staff who know what they are doing. He's not a football guy and he needs to step aside and let a football guy make mistakes instead of his mistakes. [/tongue removed from cheek]

What I find amusing about this statement is that JJ has nearly 20 years of experience doing nothing but football. He may make some bad decisions at times (not forcing the backup QB issues being his most recent), but you cannot claim he is not a football guy after obtaining that much experience.

Spectre

Reaction score
This has been an amazing NFL rookie class overall.
Even with Mendenhall and McFadden injured.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It was a terrific draft.

I looking for equally good picks for our selections come next April.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Temo;2495641 said:

We've tried to build the O-Line through the draft over the years, but have failed. Jacob Rogers was a 2nd round pick, Peterman a 3rd rounder, Marten a 3rd rounder. All failed. I hoping Free can show flashes of what he did in 2007 preseason and hoping McQ can play right tackle.

Also, we had some bigger fish to fry for the first and 2nd round picks in the past few years. In 2004 we needed a tailback. In 2005 we needed 3-4 personnel. In 2006 we needed more 3-4 personnel. In 2007 we needed Wade's 3-4 personnel. This year we needed a CB and some tailbacks.

I hate to harp on this, but we can really put a lot of the blame on Zimmer because every year we kept giving him first round picks and ever year he needed more help. Now with Wade running the defense, the defense doesn't need those first rounders as much and we can spend a first rounder on different positions. While I still believe there's improvements to be made on defense, I think they can find these improvements later in the draft with ease. Things like another 3-4 DE or a 3-4 NT (and move Ratliff to DE), a quality cover safety and an athletic ILB are routinely found in the later rounds in the draft and it doesn't seem like an absolute necessity like it did under Zimmer.

We may use our early picks to select somebody from one of those positions, but it seems that if we do, it's probably because the player was the BPA instead of trying to fill a hole.

YAKUZA

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;2495891 said:
It was a terrific draft.

I looking for equally good picks for our selections come next April.

Gee, how could this be. I thought our drafts were supposed to go to junk because Jeff Ireland left.

YAKUZA
not knocking Ireland, but he has to have scouts to succeed.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Yakuza Rich;2495968 said:
Gee, how could this be. I thought our drafts were supposed to go to junk because Jeff Ireland left.

YAKUZA
not knocking Ireland, but he has to have scouts to succeed.

Arch Stanton;2495973 said:
....but our GM sucks. :confused:
I am so glad I am not alone in my confusion over how we could have a good draft.