What a draft!

L-O-Jete

Reaction score
newlander;2495699 said:
I agree: best draft for the 'boys in................? years. I can't remember a draft this good. To have Felix last night.....we would've won by 20 IMO. HE's the ultimate blitz buster. Scandrick is good, but has some more work to do. Smith wore him out a little bit last night. But Smith is quite a talent at the slot position: I knew after his performance in the playoffs last year, he'd be a pain in the rear for years to come.

As for our draft next year: can anyone say SAFETY and/or Olinemen?

Ware/Ratliff draft ring a bell?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I think since Dallas stopped reaching for players a few years back and started getting BPA who filled needs our drafts have been much better. Not every player has been a hit but no GM out there is drafting 100% perfect. This recent draft picks I think has been darn good

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
Absolutely brilliant draft...

not to get greedy but a couple more just like that and the Cowboys would be a force for the next few years (health to the QB not withstanding)

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Gotta love the draft. Scandrick was a steal, Felix looks like another Westbrook, and Bennett has the most talent of them all IMO.

Even the biggest mistake with Walden wasn't drafting him, it was cutting him. :)

If we can do 75% that well next year with a focus on our fronts (plus a safety), we'll be set up to be contenders for years... Probably until Romo's time is done.

jfeldz

Reaction score
superpunk;2495584 said:
Early returns are outstanding.

We saw what he had in Felix. It's terrible that he won't be there for this possible playoff run, that would be a valuable weapon on offense and special teams.

Jenkins has been off and on. But you have to like the flashes, I think.

Bennett has delivered. Guys like Fred Davis have barely sniffed the ball this year. Bennett is making plays, and has plays designed for him, like that TE screen. Big impact.

Choice has come up huge. He's basically the only RB we have. We've seen excellent blitz pickups, clutch running, and putting up big numbers against some of the best fronts in the NFL.

Orlando Scandrick. I think this is my favorite choice so far. I don't know if everyone appreciates how amazing it is that we let this guy man up in the slot, as a rookie. Wow. It really looks like we stole one here.

Can we have any complaints outside of Erik Walden, lol? I have to give it up to our scouts and front office guys for a draft like this. I think you have to admit that this draft is one of the MAJOR reasons that we're still alive for the playoffs. Without Choice and Scandrick, where would we be?

That's impressive.

It's not the best in the league but it was one of the better drafts

AmishCowboy

if you ain't first, you're last
Reaction score
I remember a lot of people here disliked our draft, even after it was pointed out that most of the experts really liked it.

Temo

Reaction score
Yakuza Rich;2495965 said:
We've tried to build the O-Line through the draft over the years, but have failed. Jacob Rogers was a 2nd round pick, Peterman a 3rd rounder, Marten a 3rd rounder. All failed. I hoping Free can show flashes of what he did in 2007 preseason and hoping McQ can play right tackle.

Also, we had some bigger fish to fry for the first and 2nd round picks in the past few years. In 2004 we needed a tailback. In 2005 we needed 3-4 personnel. In 2006 we needed more 3-4 personnel. In 2007 we needed Wade's 3-4 personnel. This year we needed a CB and some tailbacks.

I hate to harp on this, but we can really put a lot of the blame on Zimmer because every year we kept giving him first round picks and ever year he needed more help. Now with Wade running the defense, the defense doesn't need those first rounders as much and we can spend a first rounder on different positions. While I still believe there's improvements to be made on defense, I think they can find these improvements later in the draft with ease. Things like another 3-4 DE or a 3-4 NT (and move Ratliff to DE), a quality cover safety and an athletic ILB are routinely found in the later rounds in the draft and it doesn't seem like an absolute necessity like it did under Zimmer.

We may use our early picks to select somebody from one of those positions, but it seems that if we do, it's probably because the player was the BPA instead of trying to fill a hole.

YAKUZA

I'm actually ok with not selecting an offensive lineman early in the draft. We have good enough starters, and like I said, it doesn't matter to me if they come via Free Agency or anything else. After all, the Patriot's SB winning teams were built mostly through FA pickups (and one lucky 6th round QB).

But it shouldn't be this hard to find a good backup O-lineman later in the draft. If Cory Proctor is the best solution we have when a guy goes down, something somewhere went wrong.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I really do think that JJ learned some things from Parcells', I know I for one wanted him out of here as soon as possible, but when it came to finding diamonds in the rough, he was second to non in the later rounds.

So I think JJ has picked up on that.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Doomsday101;2496000 said:
I think since Dallas stopped reaching for players a few years back and started getting BPA who filled needs our drafts have been much better. Not every player has been a hit but no GM out there is drafting 100% perfect. This recent draft picks I think has been darn good

That's really about it.

Once we got over trying to find the next "Charles Haley" and quit reaching for guys that didn't make sense at the positions they were chosen, then things turned around.

MrMom

Reaction score
Yeah but StanleySpadkowski said this would be the worst draft we've ever had.

So, you're wrong punk.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
superpunk;2495584 said:
Early returns are outstanding.

no Parcells, no Ireland..somebody did some homework here

We saw what he had in Felix. It's terrible that he won't be there for this possible playoff run, that would be a valuable weapon on offense and special teams.

what a talent, will be a super blue chipper next yr and beyond
Jenkins has been off and on. But you have to like the flashes, I think.

he's been far more on than off...other than one or two plays this yr, he has been really solid...has great cover skills

Bennett has delivered. Guys like Fred Davis have barely sniffed the ball this year. Bennett is making plays, and has plays designed for him, like that TE screen. Big impact.

this kid is another one who's gonna be a major weapon for us...he'll make a mint as a free agent in a few seasons

Choice has come up huge. He's basically the only RB we have. We've seen excellent blitz pickups, clutch running, and putting up big numbers against some of the best fronts in the NFL.

could be a season saver depending on how fast Barber heels...this guy was a tremendous steal

Orlando Scandrick. I think this is my favorite choice so far. I don't know if everyone appreciates how amazing it is that we let this guy man up in the slot, as a rookie. Wow. It really looks like we stole one here.

I like his toughness and he has shown he can stick with guys, but I hope he works on his ball skills...he's missed a few opportunities for picks

Can we have any complaints outside of Erik Walden, lol? I have to give it up to our scouts and front office guys for a draft like this. I think you have to admit that this draft is one of the MAJOR reasons that we're still alive for the playoffs. Without Choice and Scandrick, where would we be?

Great draft, w/o question.

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
tomson75;2495660 said:
...and the fact that these guys are making an impact on an already talented team is even more impressive.

This point needs repeating. After last year, any reasonable person would have expected any rookie beyond the 1st or second round would have trouble making the team. But here they are, playing lights out and we are depending on them to do it.