What a horrible way to go

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
Decomposing body found in column of SoCal supermarket

https://abc7news.com/decomposing-body-found-in-column-of-socal-supermarket/3941333/

Guy apparently ran from the police got onto the roof of the Winco and somehow got/fell into one of the columns which are about 20 ft high or so.

ANCASTER, Calif. --
A decomposing body was found inside the entrance column of a supermarket in Lancaster on Saturday, and investigators believe it may be a chase suspect who escaped authorities earlier this week.

Los Angeles County sheriff's homicide detectives responded to a WinCo Foods store in the 700 block of West Avenue K at approximately 2:40 p.m., according to sheriff's officials.

LASD Lt. John Corina said the manager of the store smelled a strong odor from the column in front of the business. He assumed it was a sewage leak and called out a plumber to check it out. The plumber and the store's handyman broke off some of the brick from the column and found a leg and shoe inside, Corina said.

He added that authorities are in the process of recovering the body and identifying it. It's believed it may be a man who led deputies on a chase on Monday.

Corina said the suspect ran away when the chase ended in a crash. He ran into the WinCo store and onto the roof, but deputies were not able to locate him.

There is access on the roof to the fascia of the store and down into the column, Corina said.

"He got out of the car, ran in, ran up the steps... and somehow got on the roof, and last I heard he got away. They shut the whole thing down," described witness Henry Oliver.

Investigators said after he got on the roof, they didn't see or hear any signs of the suspect and assumed he had managed to escape. Detectives said he hasn't been heard from since.

"He may have gotten inside there and somehow gotten down the column, trying to hide from the deputies and then couldn't get out," Corina said.

The coroner will have to determine exactly how the victim died. It's unclear if he fell to his death or became trapped and couldn't get out.
Some seasoned investigators were left in shock.

"It's been over 100 degrees up here everyday. I cant imagine being inside that column and just baking. It's a strange development, and if he died that way, it's a horrible way to die," Corina added.

GMO415

Reaction score
6 million ways to die. I've seen several. Things that would make you turn your back on humanity.

The most painful would be a garden hose enema or drowning.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
6 million ways to die. I've seen several. Things that would make you turn your back on humanity.

The most painful would be a garden hose enema or drowning.

Drowning is one of the easiest, take a breath of water and go to sleep. My worst fear is boiled alive by sugar or oil :(

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This story is not complete without a full interview of the plumber and store handyman. Just imagine. Get called to a job. Smell something. Mind says, "Must be leaking crap. Maybe a dead squirrel..?" Open the wall. Find a person's leg staring back at you. To me, THAT'S the story.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
This story is not complete without a full interview of the plumber and store handyman. Just imagine. Get called to a job. Smell something. Mind says, "Must be leaking crap. Maybe a dead squirrel..?" Open the wall. Find a person's leg staring back at you. To me, THAT'S the story.
Actually, there are a few interesting points of view here. The cops who thought he got away, the manager of the store, the plumber, and of course, the dead guy.

To make matters worse, what if there were spiders and other bugs crawling all over his face and in his ears, and he couldn't move.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Actually, there are a few interesting points of view here. The cops who thought he got away, the manager of the store, the plumber, and of course, the dead guy.

To make matters worse, what if there were spiders and other bugs crawling all over his face and in his ears, and he couldn't move.
STOP!!!!! PLEASE STOP!!!!! IF YOU EVER CARED FOR ME AT ALL, YOU WILL JUST STOP IT NOW!!!!!!!!! Bad enough I am very claustrophobic, I got a thing about spiders too, I hate them!

Well, this is going to interrupt my nap time for sure.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
STOP!!!!! PLEASE STOP!!!!! IF YOU EVER CARED FOR ME AT ALL, YOU WILL JUST STOP IT NOW!!!!!!!!! Bad enough I am very claustrophobic, I got a thing about spiders too, I hate them!

Well, this is going to interrupt my nap time for sure.
Sorry....maybe they were friendly bugs, whispering, "Everything is gonna be just fine, you're okay.".

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

For me, I would expect the police and store manager to basically say, "Wow. That was a surprise." The dead guy ended up in the wall. Perhaps I would want more details about why the police were chasing him but my personal curiosity would stop there or not be too concerned to know more.

I am always curious to understand witnesses' emotional reaction of an unexpected circumstance. Finding people, alive or dead, inside walls is not something any one would expect. What were the witnesses' first series of impulses provoked by the unforeseen stimuli? Shock? Confusion? Horror? Amusement? Human beings react in a myriad of ways to sudden events. That interests me a lot.

Reactions occurring after-the-fact are usually more general in nature. This is why (for me) I am not as interested in the thoughts of those made aware of what occurred via communication. The initial reactions of the police and store manager, even though physically present at the scene, would mirror others who found out by word of mouth--similar to readers' reactions of the article.

Pardon the mini-rant. Just thought I would clarify why I (me only) thought the real meat of the story was left out. I find myself thinking that a lot in this era of extremely 'concise' (lol) news reporting.