What a Mike Zimmer Defense brings to Dallas Cowboys

MyFairLady

Reaction score
I am always excited when a guy who failed 20 years ago comes back front the old folks home at 70 years old to give it another shot. Definitely something to be optimistic about.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Definitely would not want a young energetic coach with fresh new ideas to come in here and transform the franchise for the next 25 years.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
What he already brought to Dallas 20 years ago when he was NOT a dinosaur DC that had been out of the league - the STILL STANDING NFL record for most 200 yard rushers allowed in a single season.
Not only that....but I honestly don't think he knows what man press coverage is...He is more than content playing that soft zone nickle cloud that just gives up one first down after another.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Zimmer is a good coach.

Never understood G.R.O.Z

But he was also the easiest, most comfortable, Jerry pick that Jerry could have made.
I think I understand it. The defense was bad and people wanted someone to blame. Jerry had been giving fans what they wanted spending like a loon in VFA and instead of looking to the awful roster and it's lack of talent, they looked for a scapegoat.

You see people doing the same type of thing today. As much as things change they stay the same.

superonyx

Reaction score
Fans like to take defensive rankings and performance and put it all on the DC. Its interesting how we look at the talent on the offensive side of the ball when judging an offensive teams rankings and stats but don't do nearly the same with the defense. I get it. It's much harder to watch and understand how having certain safeties vs other safeties impacts the game but I think when we pull up a random season and say "the vikings defense was bad that year so Zimmer sucks" we should look at who was bad. Coaches can scheme and hide some weaknesses on the field but ultimately the players do matter just as much.

That said I believe we have solid defensive personnel to expect Zimmer and our Defense to be very good this year.

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
I am always excited when a guy who failed 20 years ago comes back front the old folks home at 70 years old to give it another shot. Definitely something to be optimistic about.
Lady, I'm over here in tears. Oh, the sarcasm. :lmao:

But seriously, this team desperately needed better defensive schemes and looks at the LOS. And Zimm is known for that. But it's going to take time for this defense to get used to Zimm's deceptive schemes and pressure looks at the LOS, so I expect some blown coverages early.

Having said that, he's old, and I'm not sure if his philosophies will work here...but this defense had maxed out its potential with Quinn. I would have preferred a younger DC as well, even one from college that showed promise...but oh well. We'll see.

My eyes are still red from laughing at your comment though :D

CWR

Reaction score
I admire any Dallas Cowboys fan who has been able to forget one of several low points of the Dave Campo head coaching era. Mike Zimmer was his defensive coordinator in 2000:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/s/2000/1203/921684.html

The Cleveland Browns (2003) and Buffalo Bills (2016) tied the same record after Dallas set it. I will edit this post with those verifiable links momentarily.

EDIT

https://www.toledoblade.com/sports/pro/2003/12/22/Another-fluke-for-Lewis/stories/200312220032

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/nfl/bills-eliminated-from-playoff-contention-1.3912330
Yes because those Dave Campo teams were absolutely loaded with talent.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Last year we had virtually no lbers so I don’t see how any scheme succeeds. Let’s hope these new additions pan out
yeah the had micah, but he rarely plays LB and when he does he wasnt all that good at it.
I forgot about the safetys playing lb lol.