CFZ What About a Less-Talented Team with a Chip on their Shoulders?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
So, this team needs to find its identity, gel, become cohesive, and I think it generally has the experience and chemistry to do that and start the season out anywhere between 4-0 to 1-3, I'd suspect, with it being more likely we're something like 3-1, at that point, and in first place of the division, again.

We have lost some players with talent. But experience can help team tremendously, along with the the off-season, competition for positions training camp, all that stufff helps mold your team's identity going into the next season.

In some ways, I kind of like that. Like all of you, I haven't been as enamored by the team as I've been in previous years. Something about the Cowboys does feel like I'm being sold a bag of crap wrapped in gold.

Every.

Single.

Year.

And that's tiring.

And, then, the cycle repeats, and there's always next year.

By this time, nobody expects them to do anything.

"It's the Cowboys; they haven't won in almost 30 years" they'll say.

But we're due.

I like Kellen Moore, but I hope he's putting in some time this offseason looking where he went wrong. The schemes he was running on our lines against the 9ers, kind of hurt us.

We're weak up the middle as a team. I would like to see that addressed in the draft.

Aside from the soft spot in the middle, this team is actually pretty good.

Dakota Prescott included.

I personally would like to see him hitting the gym as much as possible, as well as the film room. That, and I would like to see him doing his own training regimen like Tom Brady. He's got all the talent; something has to click for him. He has to find that, whatever it is, and that usually comes from putting in the extra time.

In any case, given our history, what we need right now is a new identity moving forward so that we can control our own narrative moving forward, as champions once again.

The past cannot be rewritten.

But we can play with a chip on our shoulders and win when everyone else has written us off.

Sometimes, your team's mentality wins games.

See the beginnings of the Patriots dynasty.

I would like the Cowboys to take one step at a time before thinking about a dynasty.

But the atmosphere, something, has to change this year..

There needs to be a mindset, a chip on their shoulders.. etc.

Talent means diddly if its in the wrong places and lacks in the right places.

Having too much talent at WR and not enough on defense or the Oline was a problem. Moving that talent around will help the team. Getting rid of some loser like Collins and using his salary is helping the team.

Gregory is a loss, but really how much? Im not sweating it.

But I get a kick out of the talent cry babies. Plenty of talented young players taking on bigger roles. Getting rid of the overpaid guys not pulling their weight is making way for them.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
So, this team needs to find its identity, gel, become cohesive, and I think it generally has the experience and chemistry to do that and start the season out anywhere between 4-0 to 1-3, I'd suspect, with it being more likely we're something like 3-1, at that point, and in first place of the division,…

like Dak playing with a chip on his shoulder because of 4th rd pick, gets old , prove it after you get paid , then will talk

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Having a chip will keep you in games during the regular season, maybe even win you a game or two you had no business winning but the chip on the shoulder means little without talent.

Less-talented doesn't mean without talent.

I'm all for having talent.

My point is more about there being more than one element.

If it were all about talent, or potential, which is what talent basically is, then we'd have won last year.

Winning all the way through against winning teams in the playoff usually takes some kind of cultural mentality that's been implemented from, as Zrinkill said, management, i.e, coaching, etcetera.

It takes discipline, too.

I'm saying winning should be the norm.

It shouldn't be rewarded, especially during the regular season, until we win the one the matters.

Half the teams in the NFL win games. That's what each one is supposed to do. So what's the big deal if we got a win?

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Move over, Tony Robbins!

Not quite.. I'm not the guy. But our team needs to stop being treated like babies who get a treat when they do something right. That's all I'm saying.
What about a less talented team with a chip on their shoulders? That’s a different spin to try and make what appears to be a negative into a positive. lol My question is when has having a chip on their shoulders ever worked for the Cowboys? You would think what’s been going on the past 27 years would put a huge chip on their shoulders but they continue to go nowhere. We see the same issues year after year regardless of the coaching changes and roster moves. Nothing ever changes! Having a talented roster should work it certainly worked for the Rams this past season. Having a less talented roster isn’t going to make the Cowboys a better or more determined team.

They haven't had a chip on their shoulders since Jimmy Johnson left town.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Irvin summed it up in a nutshell. He didn’t remember seeing the same pain from the players.

“They are not as skilled as they were last year,” Irvin said. “When you lack skill, you have to overcome it with will & togetherness. A man’s greatest promise comes from their greatest pain. If they felt the pain like we felt & like those fans ... I want to see them jokers on the field cry like that. I want it to hurt them like that.

“But I haven’t seen that. I hope they cry like karate men, on the inside. But I haven’t seen it outside.”

These guys just haven't showed any love for the game. If they had, tears would have been seen by some of our high contract players. Instead, nothing. No pain, no gain!

https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/s/am...orts/nfl/dallas-cowboys/article260073575.html

CWR

Reaction score
So, this team needs to find its identity, gel, become cohesive, and I think it generally has the experience and chemistry to do that and start the season out anywhere between 4-0 to 1-3, I'd suspect, with it being more likely we're something like 3-1, at that point, and in first place of the division, again.

We have lost some players with talent. But experience can help team tremendously, along with the the off-season, competition for positions training camp, all that stufff helps mold your team's identity going into the next season.

In some ways, I kind of like that. Like all of you, I haven't been as enamored by the team as I've been in previous years. Something about the Cowboys does feel like I'm being sold a bag of crap wrapped in gold.

Every.

Single.

Year.

And that's tiring.

But we're due.

I like Kellen Moore, but I hope he's putting in some time this offseason looking where he went wrong. The schemes he was running on our lines against the 9ers, kind of hurt us.

We're weak up the middle as a team. I would like to see that addressed in the draft.

I personally would like to see him hitting the gym as much as possible, as well as the film room. That, and I would like to see him doing his own training regimen like Tom Brady. He's got all the talent; something has to click for him. He has to find that, whatever it is, and that usually comes from putting in the extra time.

In any case, given our history, what we need right now is a new identity moving forward so that we can control our own narrative moving forward, as champions once again.

But we can play with a chip on our shoulders and win when everyone else has written us off.

I would like the Cowboys to take one step at a time before thinking about a dynasty.

Great post. I'm over KM though. We need a coordinator who knows how to call a run game as well. The only thing about having a chip on your shoulder, is that you have to care enough for it to matter. The question is, how many of these guys care enough to put in the work? I would hope it's the overwhelming majority.

Jipper

Reaction score
As crappy as this team has been over the last few decades and the lack of winning coupled with the circus I can't see why they wouldn't have a chip on their shoulder already..

ESisback

Reaction score
Talent means diddly if its in the wrong places and lacks in the right places.

Having too much talent at WR and not enough on defense or the Oline was a problem. Moving that talent around will help the team. Getting rid of some loser like Collins and using his salary is helping the team.

Gregory is a loss, but really how much? Im not sweating it.

But I get a kick out of the talent cry babies. Plenty of talented young players taking on bigger roles. Getting rid of the overpaid guys not pulling their weight is making way for them.
I agree. I think the potential for contributions from the young guys is strong…

I look for more from Odiggy, Gallimore, Bossman, Steele, Nashon Wright, Armstrong, etc., to go with Micah and Diggs.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Not quite.. I'm not the guy. But our team needs to stop being treated like babies who get a treat when they do something right. That's all I'm saying.

They haven't had a chip on their shoulders since Jimmy Johnson left town.

There’s been seasons where players have claimed they had a chip on their shoulders. I remember Patrick Crayton saying they had a chip on their shoulders after the huge disappointment in 2007 and ended up missing the playoffs the following year.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Irvin summed it up in a nutshell. He didn’t remember seeing the same pain from the players.

“They are not as skilled as they were last year,” Irvin said. “When you lack skill, you have to overcome it with will & togetherness. A man’s greatest promise comes from their greatest pain. If they felt the pain like we felt & like those fans ... I want to see them jokers on the field cry like that. I want it to hurt them like that.

“But I haven’t seen that. I hope they cry like karate men, on the inside. But I haven’t seen it outside.”

These guys just haven't showed any love for the game. If they had, tears would have been seen by some of our high contract players. Instead, nothing. No pain, no gain!

https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/s/am...orts/nfl/dallas-cowboys/article260073575.html

You're tracking what I'm trying to say.

Great post. I'm over KM though. We need a coordinator who knows how to call a run game as well. The only thing about having a chip on your shoulder, is that you have to care enough for it to matter. The question is, how many of these guys care enough to put in the work? I would hope it's the overwhelming majority.

I would like to see KM tone it down a little bit.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
There’s been seasons where players have claimed they had a chip on their shoulders. I remember Patrick Crayton saying they had a chip on their shoulders after the huge disappointment in 2007 and ended up missing the playoffs the following year.

Yeah, but back then, not everyone had the same mentality as Crayton.

He was just one player. And wherever that came from for him, others didn't have it. Crayton was the kind of guy who did more with less talent.

On talent alone, didn't really even belong in the NFL.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Yeah, but back then, not everyone had the same mentality as Crayton.

He was just one player. And wherever that came from for him, others didn't have it. Crayton was the kind of guy who did more with less talent.

On talent alone, didn't really even belong in the NFL.

Crayton had a chip on his shoulder because he made a key drop in the playoff game against the Giants the previous season. He was hoping to make amends for that mistake. The players that come to Dallas just seem to care more about money and being part of the Cowboys brand. These players gain status whether we win or not.

RS12

Reaction score
The only way this team gets a chip on its shoulder is if they have the cheap caviar at training table.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Crayton had a chip on his shoulder because he made a key drop in the playoff game against the Giants the previous season. He was hoping to make amends for that mistake. The players that come to Dallas just seem to care more about money and being part of the Cowboys brand. These players gain status whether we win or not.

That, and he was a quarterback in college. So nobody gave him much of a chance at WR in the NFL. But Parcells nurtured his drive. Parcells had some of what I'm talking about.. But by the time he came to Dallas, his antics and coaching-style had kinda lost its charm, because it was predictable and seen as kind of a novelty.

Parcells' players didn't take him nearly as serious as Jimmy's players took him.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I agree. I think the potential for contributions from the young guys is strong…

I look for more from Odiggy, Gallimore, Bossman, Steele, Nashon Wright, Armstrong, etc., to go with Micah and Diggs.

100%, you nailed it. If there is one thing I like about how the organization has changed is that they are letting their draft picks play. Lets not forget about Cox. He should be a big part of what they do at linebacker this year.

Im not getting my hopes up about Ball, but he is a guy we haven't seen. Who knows if he gets in the weight room and a better start, maybe Biadasz can turn into a good center.

MCgovern I have pretty much lost hope for.

jrumann59

Reaction score
As crappy as this team has been over the last few decades and the lack of winning coupled with the circus I can't see why they wouldn't have a chip on their shoulder already..
To most players today there is nothing to prove they have reached the pinnacle in their minds they are being paid a lot of money for half a years worth of work. To tell you the truth many don't love the game way most did in the past.

Jipper

Reaction score
To most players today there is nothing to prove they have reached the pinnacle in their minds they are being paid a lot of money for half a years worth of work. To tell you the truth many don't love the game way most did in the past.

I believe it....once it became more about a paycheck and less about the pride of winning it was only a matter of time....I don't begrudge them for making an incredible living

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Maybe this team isn't that good, we've just assembled a n bunch of names

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
That, and he was a quarterback in college. So nobody gave him much of a chance at WR in the NFL. But Parcells nurtured his drive. Parcells had some of what I'm talking about.. But by the time he came to Dallas, his antics and coaching-style had kinda lost its charm, because it was predictable and seen as kind of a novelty.

Parcells' players didn't take him nearly as serious as Jimmy's players took him
How in the world did Bill get that team he took over to the play-offs in his first year...c,mon now...

Ask Ware and Witt who made them the complete players that they turned into.

Jimmy and Bill are the exact type of coaches needed to off-set Jerry's ways.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

Every.

Single.

Year.

And that's tiring.

But we're due.

This team has not played with an edge since Jimmy left.
The team gets its identity from the HC
We have had soft coaches since Jimmy left except Parcells