CFZ What about a throwback game at the Cotton Bowl?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I mentioned this last year and I know it will probably never happen. But I think it would be fun for once every season to see the Cowboys play a “throwback game” at the Cotton Bowl wearing throwback blue and white uniforms, etc. Maybe also include some “throwback” prices for end zone seats, etc. Seems like it would create some good vibes and PR.

The NHL has been very successful with their “Winter Classic” throwback outdoor hockey game the last few seasons. MLB has had their “Field of Dreams” game. Seems like an idea that would be fun and different for the NFL. And with the Cowboys popularity, it seems like it would be a very popular way to bring in some history and nostalgia.

But it will probably never happen. Too much cash to be raked in at the giant shopping mall in Arlington.

Would you be in favor of a “throwback game?”

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Cotton Bowl was the cradle of the Cowboys turning into “America’s Team”. Either in mid-October when the weather is nice would be a great time to have it. Or even on Thanksgiving although the weather might not e as good.

maryquality

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I've never been to a game at the Cotton Bowl. That would be interesting, to say the least. When I first became a fan as a kid, they were already playing in Texas Stadium.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
This doesn't have any appeal other than to people who live there, same as the Winter Classic.

Plus the Cowboys haven't played there in more than 50 years, there's no connection between that and modern fans.

Kwyn

Reaction score
I mentioned this last year and I know it will probably never happen. But I think it would be fun for once every season to see the Cowboys play a “throwback game” at the Cotton Bowl wearing throwback blue and white uniforms, etc. Maybe also include some “throwback” prices for end zone seats, etc. Seems like it would create some good vibes and PR.

The NHL has been very successful with their “Winter Classic” throwback outdoor hockey game the last few seasons. MLB has had their “Field of Dreams” game. Seems like an idea that would be fun and different for the NFL. And with the Cowboys popularity, it seems like it would be a very popular way to bring in some history and nostalgia.

But it will probably never happen. Too much cash to be raked in at the giant shopping mall in Arlington.

I would love it but there’s just no way.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This doesn't have any appeal other than to people who live there, same as the Winter Classic.

Plus the Cowboys haven't played there in more than 50 years, there's no connection between that and modern fans.
Which is exactly why it would be a good idea IMO. Connect all Cowboys fans to our history. Turns out that is also a way to deepen the connection between the team and its fans.

And “The Winter Classic” has been a huge hit nationwide.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
It’s a nice idea bob but it’s never gonna happen and from the Jones perspective the team is worth 9 billion dollars….don’t think they feel the same way as you about “connecting cowboys fans to our history”. Things seem just fine

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score

I would LOVE this. I would even try to get tickets. But, you're right. It will probably never happen. It would mean an empty AT&T Stadium, and that might even be against their contract with AT&T. I'm not sure. Maybe they could pull it off in the preseason.

Cowboysheelsreds058

Reaction score

Down with that and wear those blue jerseys and pants from the colts SB.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Which is exactly why it would be a good idea IMO. Connect all Cowboys fans to our history. Turns out that is also a way to deepen the connection between the team and its fans.

And “The Winter Classic” has been a huge hit nationwide.
It would just annoy season ticket holders. A fan outside of Dallas doesn't really care about that history. A teenager who lives in, say, Pennsylvania certainly isn't going to care about where the team played in the 60s.

The Winter Classic is a hit locally, and that's pretty much it. It doesn't develop much national interest that wasn't already there, which is why the same big-market teams keep playing.

DandyDon52

Reaction score

that would be cool bob, but you know jerry, he is all about the $ , and he makes more at the death star than he could at cotton bowl.
And if he did do it, concessions and ticket prices would double or triple to compensate.
Jerry likes stacking up the gold, he could care less about fans or good vibes.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It would just annoy season ticket holders. A fan outside of Dallas doesn't really care about that history. A teenager who lives in, say, Pennsylvania certainly isn't going to care about where the team played in the 60s.

The Winter Classic is a hit locally, and that's pretty much it. It doesn't develop much national interest that wasn't already there, which is why the same big-market teams keep playing.
Mac you’re wrong about the “Winter Classic” only being popular locally. It’s the biggest game of the year for the NHL. There is a multitude of articles out there that show this:
https://www.nhl.com/news/2023-winter-classic-sets-usa-cable-tv-ratings-record/c-339535296 (“Winter Classic sets USA cable tv ratings record”)

The original Winter Classic had the highest ratings for a regular-season hockey game in over 3 decades.

The original game when it started was tuned into by an average of 4.4 million U.S. viewers throughout the broadcast (according to NBC, CBC.ca) to watch the Detroit Red Wings win 6-4 over the Chicago Blackhawks at Wrigley Field. And it’s gotten more popular nationwide each year.

Mac you can certainly disagree with me about whether a throwback game for the Cowboys would be a good thing. But your statement about the NHL’s Winter Classic only being popular locally is factually incorrect.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Mac you’re wrong about the “Winter Classic” only being popular locally. It’s the biggest game of the year for the NHL. There is a multitude of articles out there that show this:
https://www.nhl.com/news/2023-winter-classic-sets-usa-cable-tv-ratings-record/c-339535296 (“Winter Classic sets USA cable tv ratings record”)

The original Winter Classic had the highest ratings for a regular-season hockey game in over 3 decades.

The original game when it started was tuned into by an average of 4.4 million U.S. viewers throughout the broadcast (according to NBC, CBC.ca) to watch the Detroit Red Wings win 6-4 over the Chicago Blackhawks at Wrigley Field. And it’s gotten more popular nationwide each year.

Mac you can certainly disagree with me about whether a throwback game for the Cowboys would be a good thing. But your statement about the NHL’s Winter Classic only being popular locally is factually incorrect.
Wrong. The 2023 game was on cable (TNT) not NBC so it's a misleading headline. It does not perform like it used to.

2023 had1.8 million viewers. 2008 (first game) was 3.75 million. 2009, 2011, and 2014 all had4.4/4.5 million. The number hasn't been over 3 million viewers since 2015.

It's a revenue generator (all the outdoor games are) with something like 2/3 of revenue from ticket sales, but it is not something that hockey fans care about nationwide. It's why they don't try to have small-market teams play.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
The NFL has certain standards for their stadiums... doubt the Cotton bowl meets those standards.

Jerry didnt build a billion dollar stadium to have his team play in a 100 year old stadium for old people to reminisce about the good old days.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
that would be cool bob, but you know jerry, he is all about the $ , and he makes more at the death star than he could at cotton bowl.
And if he did do it, concessions and ticket prices would double or triple to compensate.
Jerry likes stacking up the gold, he could care less about fans or good vibes.
how much less do you think he could care??? much much much less, or just less>??

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Fantastic idea. Even if it were a preseason game.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The NFL has certain standards for their stadiums... doubt the Cotton bowl meets those standards.

Jerry didnt build a billion dollar stadium to have his team play in a 100 year old stadium for old people to reminisce about the good old days.
Don’t hold back Reid. Tell us what you really think, lol