CFZ What about a throwback game at the Cotton Bowl?

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
At the very least how about a preseason game there? I've been wanting this since the last time I was in the actual Cotton Bowl (not the carpet they roll out at the Death Star) in 1991.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
At the very least how about a preseason game there? I've been wanting this since the last time I was in the actual Cotton Bowl (not the carpet they roll out at the Death Star) in 1991.
jerry would never do even PS as it would mean less money , more work, and no luxury seat (his throne lol) for him to sit in.
And on top of that his stadium is one of his toys, so it would make no sense to him to use some other stadium while his toy sits with the lights out.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
jerry would never do even PS as it would mean less money , more work, and no luxury seat (his throne lol) for him to sit in.
And on top of that his stadium is one of his toys, so it would make no sense to him to use some other stadium while his toy sits with the lights out.
So I guess that means we will never see the Cowboys in one of these London away games?

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I mentioned this last year and I know it will probably never happen. But I think it would be fun for once every season to see the Cowboys play a “throwback game” at the Cotton Bowl wearing throwback blue and white uniforms, etc. Maybe also include some “throwback” prices for end zone seats, etc. Seems like it would create some good vibes and PR.

The NHL has been very successful with their “Winter Classic” throwback outdoor hockey game the last few seasons. MLB has had their “Field of Dreams” game. Seems like an idea that would be fun and different for the NFL. And with the Cowboys popularity, it seems like it would be a very popular way to bring in some history and nostalgia.

But it will probably never happen. Too much cash to be raked in at the giant shopping mall in Arlington.

Would you be in favor of a “throwback game?”
I'm sure as older fans would love it but I can't see it being financially beneficial to the team, so I doubt it would ever happen.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
So I guess that means we will never see the Cowboys in one of these London away games?
have they ever done one? I also dont know how they are compensated for those games.
The league could force them to do it.
They did a game in mexico once didnt they?

jerry will avoid those if possible, and play all home games at his stadium.
Maybe if it counts as an away game.

Hagman

Put Niland and Green in the ROH
Reaction score
I went to several Cotton Bowl games on New Year's. The place was a giant craphole. Access to and from the stadium was terrible, took half of a quarter to get concessions, and the toilets.....well, let's leave that up the imagination. And since it's outdoors, you can enjoy the heat, cold, rain or whatever of the elements. Maybe the renovations to the place made some of these problems better, but certain aspects of it--like public access--have to be the same.

It's a big NO from me, Bob.

HungryLion

Reaction score
I mentioned this last year and I know it will probably never happen. But I think it would be fun for once every season to see the Cowboys play a “throwback game” at the Cotton Bowl wearing throwback blue and white uniforms, etc. Maybe also include some “throwback” prices for end zone seats, etc. Seems like it would create some good vibes and PR.

The NHL has been very successful with their “Winter Classic” throwback outdoor hockey game the last few seasons. MLB has had their “Field of Dreams” game. Seems like an idea that would be fun and different for the NFL. And with the Cowboys popularity, it seems like it would be a very popular way to bring in some history and nostalgia.

But it will probably never happen. Too much cash to be raked in at the giant shopping mall in Arlington.

This would be a great event for all
The cowboys fans who are AARP members.

No offense, Bob.

BaybeeJay

Reaction score
I watched Vince Young beat OU at the Cotton Bowl during the State Fair. By far the most interesting football scene I’ve been to.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

Jerry ain't giving up that kind of moolah
Llooll

Mannix

Reaction score
I’d rather they play in the parking lot of whatever sits at the former location of Texas Stadium. Can I get a “hell yeah”…???

T-RO

Reaction score
Which is exactly why it would be a good idea IMO. Connect all Cowboys fans to our history. Turns out that is also a way to deepen the connection between the team and its fans.

And “The Winter Classic” has been a huge hit nationwide.
-The NHL winter classic had huge appeal only because it's the only pro outdoor hockey game.

-I don't think TV viewers would feel any more connection to the team or its history by playing a game at the Cotton Bowl. Maybe a tiny effect for a few w/the live audience.

plasticman

Reaction score
I always thought it rather odd that they blew up Texas Stadium but kept the Cotton Bowl. I suppose there were ownership, financial, and "township", issues involved.

In any case, you are right. The most valuable professional sports team in the country didn't get that way by being sentimental.

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score

Have been to more games there than any Cowboys stadium and the concerts there were great

T-RO

Reaction score
I've only been in the Cotton Bowl once and that was for The Monsters of Rock concert in 1987.
Three years after graduating from UCLA I watched Troy and the Bruins win a Bowl game at the Cotton Bowl. Few months later he was a Cowboy.

Truthfully Troy was nothing special in that game.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
The Cotton Bowl was good enough to film "4th and Long" and give Jesse Holly a chance to be a Dallas Cowboy, but these days that's just about all it's good enough for in the eyes of the NFL. The past should remain in the past but never be forgotten.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score

Silly bloke.
It could never happen.
Concessions, parking etc. doom this misguided hope.