What about Sam Williams at LB?

_sturt_

Reaction score
Was just listening to a radio show and it was mentioned about Sam being a LB. Is it something he could do, something he could learn this sudden, something he'd want to risk for the betterment of the team.

If anything it would get him on the field more often. He has great speed, but speed isn't anything if you can't process what's happening and get to the ball! Please give your thoughts

Always nice to learn, a week or two or three after I'd proposed X, that X ends up being an idea others with bigger megaphones endorse.

Yes. Actually some of his draft scouting reports suggested he might find a better home as a LB... this one, for instance...

"Williams would be best as a heavy outside linebacker on a defense that likes to move its pieces around up front often to give him chances to win inside."

Have also proposed, given his freaky traits, you might just find out he's an excellent short-yardage rusher if you gave it a look in practice. Just might.

HanD

Reaction score
it'd be more effective to let him rush the passer more and move micah to play lb more. we have plenty of effective edge players so the drop off would be less than trying to find a new lb imo

Blue&Silver

Reaction score
Was just listening to a radio show and it was mentioned about Sam being a LB. Is it something he could do, something he could learn this sudden, something he'd want to risk for the betterment of the team.

If anything it would get him on the field more often. He has great speed, but speed isn't anything if you can't process what's happening and get to the ball! Please give your thoughts
We have better on the roster currently. Our need for linebacker is over exaggerated in my opinion.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

I don't think outside of playing like a 3-4 OLB and rush the passer. he would get isolated and abused in pass defense.

reddyuta

Reaction score
Not sure he has the lateral agility.
we know who has lateral agility and thats Micah,maybe they should play him more at LB going forward atleast in early downs.

Creeper

Reaction score
I don't think he gets enough snaps on defense. He seems to be better stopping the run than Fowler, although both of them seem to be prone to penalties. Fowler lines up the neutral zone more than he gets called for. I don't know why he struggles with this.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Pretty sure he is just another in a long line of moronic draft picks that get to hang around because Jerry says so. Guarantee you the coaches hate him. He is unreliable, selfish and unprofessional. He should be purged to make room for someone serious about football. Think Bossmanfat.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Sam is absolutely not an off ball LB. His lateral movement and change of direction isn’t anywhere close to what you need there.

The obvious choice if you have to use Williams, is to move Micah to LB and play Sam on the edge where Parsons normally would be. That makes a ton of sense compared to using him at LB.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Pretty sure he is just another in a long line of moronic draft picks that get to hang around because Jerry says so. Guarantee you the coaches hate him. He is unreliable, selfish and unprofessional. He should be purged to make room for someone serious about football. Think Bossmanfat.
Why would the coaches hate him, and what has he done that is selfish & unprofessional? Is there something I'm not aware of?

_sturt_

Reaction score
Sam doesn't seem capable of learning coverage assignments.
I have no clue how one would even begin to discern this. But please, educate me. How would one know with any certainty what exact coverage assignment Sam had on a given play, short of being able to hear the defensive call from DQ, and knowing how to interpret the vocab they use in their calls?

Not to call you out specifically, but I get the feeling we're a little too eager to presume that the occasional boneheaded penalty... be it Sam or anyone else... necessarily has some ubiquitous implication to the given player's intelligence overall... and thus, capacity (in this case) to learn coverage assignments.

Those are different things, though. Some things are just a matter of enough practice/experience. Some things are as much or more a matter of higher IQ. But regardless, those things are beyond our capacity on the outside to assess with any degree of objective, statistical confidence.

_sturt_

Reaction score
Sam is absolutely not an off ball LB. His lateral movement and change of direction isn’t anywhere close to what you need there.
Based on... ?

No offense, but how would one even evaluate that for a guy who, from the snap of the ball, is far more often than not immediately engaging a blocker?

While those are legitimate concerns to examine, it makes no sense to me that anyone from the outside thinks they know "absolutely" anything about how he grades in those respects.

But, feel free to educate me. Maybe I'm just ignorant.... it happens. :)

Beaker42

Reaction score
Tho so thread just reaffirms the fact. Our LB’s suck (aside from Bell who isn’t even a LB).

Imagine if we had Reddick and Moseley or Milano.