What about Sam Williams at LB?

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Was just listening to a radio show and it was mentioned about Sam being a LB. Is it something he could do, something he could learn this sudden, something he'd want to risk for the betterment of the team.

If anything it would get him on the field more often. He has great speed, but speed isn't anything if you can't process what's happening and get to the ball! Please give your thoughts
That's what I've been saying. Put Sam Williams at LB! He should be begging for reps.

Last edited:

MyFairLady

Reaction score
There is definitely only one thing holding that guy back. Pretty obvious what it is.

Tio

Armchair QB
Reaction score
Teams would adjust by throwing on 1st and instead of running.
i feel like a D-line of Williams/armstrong-hankins-osi-lawrence is still pretty good at rushing the passer and probably more stout against the run. micah moves down on 2nd long/3rd down. Dude was a top 10 LB prospect, thats what we drafted him for.

kskboys

Reaction score
It is, he would be playing out of position.
Yeah, Sam can't even grasp the nuances of "Go get the QB". LB is a much more complicated position. While he may have the lateral agility for DE, the agility for LB is a whole difference ball of wax.

Reactions: G2

_sturt_

Reaction score
Observation:

Pro sports attracts people in desperate need of ego gratification, and confirmation bias of their own superiority. Omniscience, even.

Naturally. They just do.

That's all. As you were.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Yeah, Sam can't even grasp the nuances of "Go get the QB". LB is a much more complicated position. While he may have the lateral agility for DE, the agility for LB is a whole difference ball of wax.
:facepalm: Not what YouTube college highlight videos show on a few plays he played drop back LB in coverage.

_sturt_

Reaction score
Why do you always "assume" post???
Growing up in an era where it was implied fairly routinely that one never had to suspect whether a white QB was smart enough to hold the position for some reason, but it could be a genuine question worth considering for non-whites...

I just think the whole idea of assuming athletes' intelligence... ie, capacity cognitively... to be inferior to play a given position in a given sport, is counterintuitively a commentary on how little information a critic requires in order to arrive at a conclusion... and thus, a commentary on, possibly, the cognitive capacity of the critic him/herself, and most assuredly on his/her self-awareness quotient... ironically enough.

But maybe that's just me.

People who make bad decisions when they're driving are not necessarily universally stupid people otherwise. Maturity and intelligence are not the same thing, just as temperance and intelligence are not the same thing.

Last edited:

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Growing up in an era where it was implied fairly routinely that one never had to suspect whether a white QB was smart enough to hold the position for some reason, but it could be a genuine question worth considering for non-whites...

I just think the whole idea of assuming athletes' intelligence... ie, capacity cognitively... to be inferior to play a given position in a given sport, is counterintuitively a commentary on how little information a critic requires in order to arrive at a conclusion... and thus, a commentary on, possibly, the cognitive capacity of the critic him/herself, and most assuredly on his/her self-awareness quotient... ironically enough.

But maybe that's just me.

People who make bad decisions when they're driving are not necessarily universally stupid people otherwise. Maturity and intelligence are not the same thing, just as temperance and intelligence are not the same thing.
I completely agree with you. The thing is, I've criticized Dak before. But not on that level. I've criticized other QBs harshly, but I could see they were truly not in it to win it. Drew Henson comes to mind. Had he put his mind to it, he could have done it. But he didn't have "that." So, I was ready to move on. It happened everywhere Drew Henson went.. He just never really wanted it that badly even though he had so-called potential..

To me, Dak always looks like he wants to win.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
You can see he doesn’t have the side to side quickness to play a 43 off ball LB where a good portion of what he’d be asked to do is coverage. He doesn’t have the hips and quickness for coverage, or to change directions quickly enough when a RB cuts back, etc.

Very good straight line speed but not the movement skills to be a 43 LB. That is my opinion, and I think it would be shared by most coaches, but if you want to disagree, feel free to do so.

Now, use him to clog a hole in short-yardage / goal-line situations? Sure, he would probably be fine at that… but I’d be pretty shocked if Quinn wanted him to play LB down-in and down-out for his defense.

I’ll stand by what I’ve already said: if you feel like you need big-time help at LB, then you plug Williams in on the edge and let Micah get snaps at LB. I can’t imagine they would want to do the opposite of that.

If they play Williams at LB consistently, feel free to throw a told-you-so my way. I’ll take it like a big boy.
He has the potential. To me it seems he may not be overly focused on the nuances and, plus, he has to be able to play the run. But that's what I don't understand. Why not utilize him on obvious running downs? He's also fast enough to cover, in the case of pass on those downs, but that's what I'm saying. Play him to his strengths. Some of it is about putting him in a position to succeed.

I still see him as a secret weapon of sorts. But it would be great if he could just go in there and be consistent and carve out a role. That's what getting him reps is all about. When he does play, you want to move him all around the field.

I honestly think part of it is a seniority thing. It's what allows you to keep all those players, especially if someone gets injured. The good thing is, we're all healthy up front.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
@_sturt_ As far as Sam, I disagree a tad. I'm not trying to demonize him. I just want to see it on the field. I'm not disappointed as a fan; I'm more disappointed for him for not being able to step into a bigger role. Don't get me wrong. Gunner, ST and being in the rotation is fine and all; I just want to see him emerge as one of the better players in the league. Sooner than later.

I've never criticized Sam because I don't like him. I just want what's best for him. Like the player and all.