What about the running game?

conner01

Reaction score
We have to fix the oline
We’ve seen in the past few years when we needed to fix secondary they threw milultipld picks at it and that’s what we need this year
Zion or green dramatically improves oline
But oline run blocking last year wasn’t as bad as some think. The leagues leading rusher avg 2.6 yards before contact. Before Zeke was hurt he was avg a career high 2.8 and finished the year at 2.5 per carry
Penalties from the oline was a huge problem and we don’t have a left guard. But if we plug a good guard at LG and cut down on penalties we can have a solid run game. What we do at LG is gonna be huge
The guy has to start day one so I sure wouldn’t wait to the middle rounds to start looking for one
I know some think guard is not that important of a position but if you can run between the tackles it opens up the edges for the big hitters and opens up the pass game
Get the LG pick right and the run game won’t be a problem and it will help offset the loss of talent we could have at WR

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I'm not hearing alot about the running game this offseason. It seems with a QB like Dak we need a really good ground game. I don't have alot of faith in Zeke anymore and who knows if Pollard can carry the load. Do we need to draft a RB in the later rounds or just stick with what we have. I would love to pick someone up. Is Kellen Moore abandoning the ground game too soon in games? What do you think?
We don't have a running game.
Unless we spend serious draft picks, or sign decent free agent offensive lineman, we will be a predominant passing team next season

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I'm not hearing alot about the running game this offseason. It seems with a QB like Dak we need a really good ground game. I don't have alot of faith in Zeke anymore and who knows if Pollard can carry the load. Do we need to draft a RB in the later rounds or just stick with what we have. I would love to pick someone up. Is Kellen Moore abandoning the ground game too soon in games? What do you think?

This is why I want a guard and/or C at either 24 or round 2. We need to get back to the run game. It works if we can focus on retooling our oline.

glimmerman

Reaction score
- We likely have already begun looking for " future" potential backs, .especially there's a very likelihood, that we'll lose both Zeke and Pollard in back to back years.
- and yes i am among those that think Zeke will be a casualty cut next year in 2023, when his cap hit becomes 11 mill instead of these 30+ million dead cap hits.

- We have an escape option out and i fully expect Cowboys to exploit it. If he were still Adrian Peterson like explosive as his previous 2 years then it may likely have been
a whole different tale. But ZKE had lost his innate burst before his recent knee issue in 2022.
Unfortunate as the dude is only 26 years of age. He should've been in his prime, not nearing the end.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/ezekiel-elliott-18952/

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/tony-pollard-29176/

- Pollard has been vastly misused and under utilized in Kellen's offense, he could've been one of the more dangerous, explosive players in the NFL,, both as a runner and receiver,
even as a change of pace type.
But such is the limit of our current OC, and for whatever reason, McCarthy has been hands off.

- Even if we're able to re-sign Pollard, i'd still like and prefer the committee/ride share approach of two playmaking backs instead of laying it all on the lap of just one RB.
But that's not gonna happen this year, it'll will definitely come post- cut Elliott.
We will for sure see about Elliot. If and only if we use Pollard and give Elliot a breather here and there will his burst last. He will have it to start the season. But we have got to split some carry’s. Pollard can do most anything Elliot can do except blitz pick up. That’s why Elliot ends up on the field more. Dak will be fully healed from that horrible leg injury. We have got to use those wheels and get him out of the pocket more. But mostly comes down to the O-Line. We need to replace Williams with a better player. We miss Fredbeard more than we will ever know. Need a few starters in this draft or FA. Hoping Ball will be as good as we hoped. Steele will get a start.

IMO a better O-Line coach would go a long way.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

your barking up the wrong tree. The offense needs a better oline. Any QB needs a line. Take care of the line and qb play and Rb play will both improve.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
We will for sure see about Elliot. If and only if we use Pollard and give Elliot a breather here and there will his burst last. He will have it to start the season. But we have got to split some carry’s. Pollard can do most anything Elliot can do except blitz pick up. That’s why Elliot ends up on the field more. Dak will be fully healed from that horrible leg injury. We have got to use those wheels and get him out of the pocket more. But mostly comes down to the O-Line. We need to replace Williams with a better player. We miss Fredbeard more than we will ever know. Need a few starters in this draft or FA. Hoping Ball will be as good as we hoped. Steele will get a start.

Pollard is the better back in every way other than blocking.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Our OL is trash. That's why we didn't have a running game. How many OL do we need now? LT, LG, C, and RT? Run game? We'll use all of our 5th round picks to "fix" our OL. I'm getting prepared for the gas lighting now.
Lol….agreed but I think we definitely use a top 2 pick

HungryLion

Reaction score
Here’s the thing. Cutting Cooper made sense. If they were choosing to reallocate those resources to improving the blocking on the offense.

Be less top heavy at pass catcher, but have a better line and running game, so the offense can bring back some balance.

problem is. The cowboys FO cut Cooper and has done literally nothing to address the OL yet. Not a single solitary thing. And I know the draft is yet to come. But at this rate. You’re going to be relying on 1-2 OL draft picks to be IMMEDIATE quality starters. If not, the OL is in trouble this year.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Here’s the thing. Cutting Cooper made sense. If they were choosing to reallocate those resources to improving the blocking on the offense.

Be less top heavy at pass catcher, but have a better line and running game, so the offense can bring back some balance.

problem is. The cowboys FO cut Cooper and has done literally nothing to address the OL yet. Not a single solitary thing. And I know the draft is yet to come. But at this rate. You’re going to be relying on 1-2 OL draft picks to be IMMEDIATE quality starters. If not, the OL is in trouble this year.
Well they paid 11 million to a tight end who can't run block if that helps.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
100%…..couldn’t agree more. But again we see them over value what they have. Oline needed 2 new high level starters this year. It appears we may only get 1 and we have to prey it’s a #1 pick.

HungryLion

Reaction score

The Schultz move makes me sick. It’s a classic desperation move. Franchise tagging a mediocre tight end because they feel they had no other options.

Pathetic.

fivetwos

Reaction score
The Schultz move makes me sick. It’s a classic desperation move. Franchise tagging a mediocre tight end because they feel they had no other options.

Pathetic.
Lot of people love it, so I'm figuring we get a point for every catch.

Defenses didn't bother covering him much when Cooper was here. Let's see if that changes, especially in the red zone

It's about nothing more than coddling a QB who could probably stand to be a little less comfortable.

Flamma

Reaction score
The running game was putrid the second half of the season.

the cowboys have to hit on draft picks on the OL. At least one, if not two. And they better find immediate starters/contributors.

if they don’t. We are in big trouble on the OL because they once again, crapped the bed in free agency and haven’t even signed anyone to address the awful OL play.

This right here. You want a run game, get some OL. And we still have an issue stopping the run. The Eagles backups ran for something like 150 yards. Gave up more than that the following week against the 49ers. We're soft on the LOS and people want RBs and WRs. Fix the LOS and everyone gets better.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
This right here. You want a run game, get some OL. And we still have an issue stopping the run. The Eagles backups ran for something like 150 yards. Gave up more than that the following week against the 49ers. We're soft on the LOS and people want RBs and WRs. Fix the LOS and everyone gets better.

Exactly, it's not the most glamorous, but they are the engines that make the team run.

quickccc

Reaction score

- Pollard is not in Zeke's league when it comes to sheer low body leg power and churning drive. Many times Zeke is stop in his tracks at the goal line,
but when he gets low and shoulders square, one on one even when he is stopped in his tracks by that lone defender, he can still churn and power
his way into the end zone at the one or two yard line, with that tackler going backwards.

- we miss fred beard superior play when he was healthy, but hey bad breaks like that happen and place the burden of replacing him on the staff.
Same with several positions as we may have to stumble on a couple of players before we finally get it right.
it's a shortcoming of the personnel and coaching staff, with going thru Looney and Tyler B, but we cannot keep moping and sobbing over his retirement.

- i'm with you 100% with a new and better OL coach.
Our OL may be better suited for the more physical man-power scheme than zone and shield technician mode.

bonafidebanter

Reaction score

What's the over/under of how many of our 5th round picks will go towards the OL?

HungryLion

Reaction score

I hardly see people mention DT as a position of need. It’s like people have gotten used to the cowboys having trash at DT and just accept it now. Like it isn’t one of the most important positions on the field.

shabazz

Reaction score
I hardly see people mention DT as a position of need. It’s like people have gotten used to the cowboys having trash at DT and just accept it now. Like it isn’t one of the most important positions on the field.

it’s hard for us to keep that drumbeat up. Why struggle when one can just lay back and enjoy it…..it’s gonna happen no matter what