What about the running game?

CWR

Reaction score
I'm not hearing alot about the running game this offseason. It seems with a QB like Dak we need a really good ground game. I don't have alot of faith in Zeke anymore and who knows if Pollard can carry the load. Do we need to draft a RB in the later rounds or just stick with what we have. I would love to pick someone up. Is Kellen Moore abandoning the ground game too soon in games? What do you think?

We need oline help, and a mid round rb would be great. The coaching problem remains though, and I don't know if these guys have a clue how to run the ball. Kellen more speaking as if outside runs are more less gimmicks is terrifying.

Flamma

Reaction score
I hardly see people mention DT as a position of need. It’s like people have gotten used to the cowboys having trash at DT and just accept it now. Like it isn’t one of the most important positions on the field.

My hope is OL 1st, DT second. Or OL first, move back up into the first for another, get a DT in the 3rd. We went 13-3 in Dak's rookie season. Zeke tore it up, but Dak looked good in the pocket too. That's all offensive line. What great WRs did we have? Beasley, Terrence Williams, Dez who was injured, and Witten who was a shell of his former self? A couple other JAGS. The Eagles don't even have a quarterback and they won 9 games because of that offensive line.

I don't know what to think. I just hope they don't draft RBs and WRs in the first two rounds. That's not helping.

Flamma

Reaction score
They can't fix everything in the draft. They ignored FA so it is what it is. Try to fix the OL this year. If they can do that, then maybe next year draft a RB in the 2nd round. Maybe a DT in the first.

HungryLion

Reaction score
it’s hard for us to keep that drumbeat up. Why struggle when one can just lay back and enjoy it…..it’s gonna happen no matter what

Sad thing is. Most of us go into the off season expecting exactly what happens, to happen. And yet it still hurts each time.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
- Pollard is not in Zeke's league when it comes to sheer low body leg power and churning drive. Many times Zeke is stop in his tracks at the goal line,
but when he gets low and shoulders square, one on one even when he is stopped in his tracks by that lone defender, he can still churn and power
his way into the end zone at the one or two yard line, with that tackler going backwards.

- we miss fred beard superior play when he was healthy, but hey bad breaks like that happen and place the burden of replacing him on the staff.
Same with several positions as we may have to stumble on a couple of players before we finally get it right.
it's a shortcoming of the personnel and coaching staff, with going thru Looney and Tyler B, but we cannot keep moping and sobbing over his retirement.

- i'm with you 100% with a new and better OL coach.
Our OL may be better suited for the more physical man-power scheme than zone and shield technician mode.
Lol…..maybe 4 years ago. Pollard is better in every aspect of running the football. Zeke can barely get to the line now without a gaping hole. Pollard makes more guys miss and breaks more tackles. That is a fact.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Unless you have a generational talent like Emmitt Smith or Walter Payton or Jim Brown, your team’s running game is always first dependent on the quality of the offensive line. Our once great line is now mediocre at best. Zack Martin is still great. But Ty Smith is only good for half a season these days, the loss if T-Fred has never been matched, LG is currently a gaping hole and RT is in the hands of an UDFA.

The running game is critical for this team’s improvement. Which is exactly why we need to prioritize drafting some great O-lineman early- not WRs.

quickccc

Reaction score
Lol…..maybe 4 years ago. Pollard is better in every aspect of running the football. Zeke can barely get to the line now without a gaping hole. Pollard makes more guys miss and breaks more tackles. That is a fact.

But when it comes to that goal line, i'll take zeke. When it comes to movement and burst, that's Pollard.
When it comes to short yardage, knack for the goal line, and sheer lower body power and drive,.. that's Zeke.
and that is a fact.

quickccc

Reaction score
Unless you have a generational talent like Emmitt Smith or Walter Payton or Jim Brown, your team’s running game is always first dependent on the quality of the offensive line. Our once great line is now mediocre at best. Zack Martin is still great. But Ty Smith is only good for half a season these days, the loss if T-Fred has never been matched, LG is currently a gaping hole and RT is in the hands of an UDFA.

The running game is critical for this team’s improvement. Which is exactly why we need to prioritize drafting some great O-lineman early- not WRs.

Your term of generational talent seems different from mine, as generational tends to suggest prototype and checking all physical traits across the board, size, speed, run, catch, power, instincts.
Emmitt slid to the middle of 1st round (thank goodness) to us because he did not possess idea/prototype size/speed.

Heck Jimmie was prepared to draft Baylor edge rusher James Francis before Cincy picked him off and left with the next best player rated on Cowboys board. ..HOF Emmitt Smith.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
But when it comes to that goal line, i'll take zeke. When it comes to movement and burst, that's Pollard.
When it comes to short yardage, knack for the goal line, and sheer lower body power and drive,.. that's Zeke.
and that is a fact.

I wouldnt take Zeke for anything including the GL. All he can really do is put his head down and go up the middle. Pollard can bounce it outside, take a swing pass, bash it up the middle, make a move in the backfield or beat a linebacker to the corner for the TD.

Zeke is predictable, slow, and washed up.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not hearing alot about the running game this offseason. It seems with a QB like Dak we need a really good ground game. I don't have alot of faith in Zeke anymore and who knows if Pollard can carry the load. Do we need to draft a RB in the later rounds or just stick with what we have. I would love to pick someone up. Is Kellen Moore abandoning the ground game too soon in games? What do you think?
Fix the OL and we're good with Zeke and Pollard.