What all our QBs have in common

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Garrett in the article essentially stated what I mentioned. Which is once there was someone in place he trusted he had no problem with letting go play calling.

He didnt want to give it up at all. Then gave it up to Callahan, then took it back from Callahan, then finally totally reliquished it to Linehan.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yep, but it was specifically because we got away from the run early that we got in the big hole. Trying to get cute on 3rd and short, ect.....ect......

Not really. Look at the play by play. The unsportsmanlike penalty took us out of running situations, and that was on the 2nd drive. We ran Elliott four times out of six plays on that drive before the bizarre 15 yard penalty negated a 22 yard completion and took us from 2nd and 5 to 2nd and 20 and put us in the shotgun formation to try to convert the next two plays.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Garrett in the article essentially stated what I mentioned. Which is once there was someone in place he trusted he had no problem with letting go play calling.

I remember it the way you do. There was something going on with Callahan where Jason didn't want him calling the plays. Remember that weird press conference where JG was asked about Jerry making the play calling decision public early, and he indicated he wasn't happy about how the news came out. Then he was saying the next week that it didn't help the team to let that information out early.

Then there were the issues that season where Jason clearly didn't like some of what Callahan was doing, culminating in that GB game where everybody thought he was throwing Tony under the bus but where in retrospect it was probably a tiff between him and Callahan.

When he brought Linehan in, though, it was always with the expectation that Scott would be calling the plays, and I don't believe we've ever seen any evidence that it's ever been an issue. One, Linehan is a better play caller than Garrett was. Two, those two are very much on the same page offensively, and it shows.

As an aside, I do think there were probably some issues between what Tony wanted to do at the line and what Garrett wanted, too. It always seemed like there was an uneasy respect between those two for whatever reason.