What are odds of Randy Gregory playing this season

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Sorry if repost but anyone thinks he gets reinstated during the season?

BTW.....didn't know Cowboys gave him a small extension. Wonder how/if that affected additional years?

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/2019/06/07/dallas-cowboys-randy-gregory-player-profile-2019/

USATSI_11892822-1.jpg

1.4kSHARES
TWEET
EMAIL
By: C.C. Boorman | June 7, 2019 9:47 am ET

The days are counting down to the 2019 season and the Dallas Cowboys have reason to feel self-assured about their defensive line. Additions via free agency, a opportunistic trade and a line-centric draft have stocked the position group to a level that has not been seen in Dallas since the glory days of the early 1990s.

While the added firepower provided by veteran additions Robert Quinn, Christian Covington and Kerry Hyder along with rookies Trysten Hill, Joe Jackson and Jalen Jelks is enough to get giddy about, there is still one other key talent that could cause even more excitement and that is Randy Gregory.

It is easy to categorically dismiss Gregory in terms for the season if one takes the “indefinite” terminology that was rolled up in his most recent suspension by the league literally. His continued struggle with his inner demons and an admitted dependence on the use of marijuana makes it difficult to depend on his availability. He has been suspended on four separate occasions and it has limited his career to a mere 28 games of football since became a Cowboy in 2015

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I'm sure he will be reinstated at some point, my concern is when is the next suspension going to happen? I really had hoped he could get things squared away but it just continues. I would hope Cowboys would just move on from him, he is not dependable. Of course I hope he gets his life together but as a fan my big concern is always the team and Dallas just can't continue doing this with Gregory

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I can’t help but to think that everyone’s realizes that testing and punishing for marijuana is a fool’s errand and in nobody’s best interests. And I wonder if this isn’t simply ended as a ‘peace offering’ to the players for the upcoming CBA negotiations?

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I'm sure he will be reinstated at some point, my concern is when is the next suspension going to happen? I really had hoped he could get things squared away but it just continues. I would hope Cowboys would just move on from him, he is not dependable. Of course I hope he gets his life together but as a fan my big concern is always the team and Dallas just can't continue doing this with Gregory

Wanna hear something odd.......NFL may change the weed policy before he actually stops using (LOL).

Machete

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Talkin Cowboys and Cowboys Break have both hinted that Gregory might be available for the start of the season. They site words and phrases from JJ that leads them to believe that.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
This is all about the new CBA. The league clearly doesn't want to suspend guys for a drug that is legal in many states. There will be a reasonable compromise on this much like what happened with a rash of Molly suspensions when it was misclassified as a performance enhancing drug.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
IM no Dr. , dont claim to be, and I am speculating.... but I can not tell you how fast this mental health train is picking up speed. I am a teacher and the entire way we deal with students, discipline and behaviors is going through MAJOR changes at lightning speed. Wether we agree or disagree is irrelevant. Look what is happening with juvenile offenders... basically instead of incarcerating a major shift is happening to deal with kids mental health when they commit crimes.

I cant help but think this way of thinking is going to rapidly find its' way into the NFL and how they deal with these issues. Just look at the statement above and it is clear where they are headed.

On a side note, I got to sit and watch college football for 4 or 5 hours with Randy Gregory 2 years ago while he was suspended. He was really stand offish for the first 45 minutes or so and then he couldnt have been a nicer guy. I hope he gets to play again and works through his issues. He would certainly be a HUGE plus for us if he gets back on the field.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I can’t help but to think that everyone’s realizes that testing and punishing for marijuana is a fool’s errand and in nobody’s best interests. And I wonder if this isn’t simply ended as a ‘peace offering’ to the players for the upcoming CBA negotiations?

But to regulate the policy to prevent abuse? A required prescription from team AND LEAGUE doctors? Obvious some issues they have to sort through.......

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Wanna hear something odd.......NFL may change the weed policy before he actually stops using (LOL).

They may change it but there is still an issue, when you know the league test, when you know heading into the combines you will be tested, when you know once you are put on the leagues substance abuse list you will be tested on a regular basis and you know you will be suspended and in the process hurt your team then to me the problem runs a bit deeper than weed. People love to say it is harmless, yet he has thrown away a portion of his career, he has let his team down that make me question him and his dedication

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
They may change it but there is still an issue, when you know the league test, when you know heading into the combines you will be tested, when you know once you are put on the leagues substance abuse list you will be tested on a regular basis and you know you will be suspended and in the process hurt your team then to me the problem runs a bit deeper than weed. People love to say it is harmless, yet he has thrown away a portion of his career, he has let his team down that make me question him and his dedication

One word........addiction
From my understanding, it's not a word put in the same sentence with weed very often....

Reid1boys

Reaction score
do you not understand what it means to have mental health issues? the guy has problems, that you seem to dismiss like he is just chosing to screw the team over. Dont you think he would love to be clean? Kurt Cobain seemed to be on top of the world yet the man still kiled himself. How dare he let down his bandmates in Nirvana who were on top of the wrld..... selfish *******.

How the hell could Junior Saeau kill himself? HIs career was over and he was loaded financially and had his whole life ahead of him...... at least that is how it looks to a "Normal," person. But somehow he was screwed up and couldnt overcome his issues. I applaud Jerry for taking care of his players.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One word........addiction
From my understanding, it's not a word put in the same sentence with weed very often....

The thing is, in my mind, there is physical addiction and mental addiction. Pot is not physically addictive - no withdrawal symptoms when usage stops - no physical craving. That's what is referred to when it is said pot isn't addictive. But mental addiction is another thing, and is tied a mental/psychological issue. Some people simply feel they need some kind of mind altering substance to cope with life, and for many pot is that substance.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
I think if the NFL-NFLPA get a new CBA hammered out by the start of the season they could immediately institute a new marijuana policy that could clear the way for Gregory to play.

Last edited:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's very odd to me that Gregory might play at all this season after his 75th violation of the league's substance abuse policy (slight exaggeration?)

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
It's very odd to me that Gregory might play at all this season after his 75th violation of the league's substance abuse policy (slight exaggeration?)
It doesn't make sense with the current policy, that's for sure

erod

Reaction score
Randy's problems seem to be far worse than just a marijuana addiction. I don't think legalizing weed would be the end of these issues. This a deeply troubled guy with severe anxiety and depression issues apparently.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But to regulate the policy to prevent abuse? A required prescription from team AND LEAGUE doctors? Obvious some issues they have to sort through.......

No. Any "regulation" is a waste of time and resources. In no way does marijuana give athletes any advantages on the field, therefore it's pointless for the league yo care whether players use it or not.

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
Randy's problems seem to be far worse than just a marijuana addiction. I don't think legalizing weed would be the end of these issues. This a deeply troubled guy with severe anxiety and depression issues apparently.

He certainly may have some demons, but it may simply be brain chemistry -- neurotransmitter issues that are most often hereditary.
It's likely that he's been tried on several different medications for this, but possibly the best efficacy for him is indeed weed. He may be very functional on routine dosing.

It's well-known that alcohol is consumed by athletes regularly, and THC is clearly less risky; legalization is inevitable and the new CBA will address this.