What are some options at safety-fa/draft?

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Watch him and you tell us. You call it weak but theres atleast 3 dudes better than the first safety drafted last year.
Who else do you like besides Moehrig? Voc and Jeff said this is weak class. The issue I have with them is they both would draft receiver if one of the top 3 is there at 10. I think Chase might be a little better then CD but Smith reminds me of Dashean Jackson. Neither is better then a defensive player at 10.

RamziD

Reaction score
I’d like to see them go after a top-tier FS in FA instead of multiple cheaper players. Simmons and Harris are the top 2, but I also like John Johnson from the Rams. I don’t think you’ll find anyone who can help right away in this draft.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I think Moehrig is a stud...not sure if he lasts until our 2nd round selection but I also like Holland and Grant.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
Who else do you like besides Moehrig? Voc and Jeff said this is weak class. The issue I have with them is they both would draft receiver if one of the top 3 is there at 10. I think Chase might be a little better then CD but Smith reminds me of Dashean Jackson. Neither is better then a defensive player at 10.

They said they would consider WR at 10 if the Cowboys could trade Gallup for a core defensive player. Depending on how the board falls I could see that being the best situation. You would have likely the best receiving group in the league, and they would be relatively cheap for 4 years. On top of that you trade Gallup for a defensive player that is likely better than anyone you could get at 10. Also I know Cavanaugh said Ardarius Washington is his top free safety and everything I've seen so far would indicate he will be there when the Cowboys pick in the 2nd (possibly even the 3rd).

baltcowboy

Reaction score
They said they would consider WR at 10 if the Cowboys could trade Gallup for a core defensive player. Depending on how the board falls I could see that being the best situation. You would have likely the best receiving group in the league, and they would be relatively cheap for 4 years. On top of that you trade Gallup for a defensive player that is likely better than anyone you could get at 10. Also I know Cavanaugh said Ardarius Washington is his top free safety and everything I've seen so far would indicate he will be there when the Cowboys pick in the 2nd (possibly even the 3rd).
We already have the best wide receivers in the league. Voch and Jeff are against trading Gallup unless we get a second or higher. The offense with Dak is not the problem. I would rather trade down to the 20s and draft Najee Harris then draft a receiver with a top 10 pick. Zeke is washed.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
We already have the best wide receivers in the league. Voch and Jeff are against trading Gallup unless we get a second or higher. The offense with Dak is not the problem. I would rather trade down to the 20s and draft Najee Harris then draft a receiver with a top 10 pick. Zeke is washed.

Trading Gallup for a defensive player would help the defense.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Grant, Washington and Lecounte. Its as weak as the class last year imo. Dont know what was so good about last year

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Trading Gallup for a defensive player would help the defense.
Jeff said he would trade him for Juan Thornhill. Ah No!!! The Chiefs defense is so overrated. They are similar to the Rams with Jones and honey Badger. All the love I see for DLaw in his large salary I expect more.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
I was able to find this video where Jeff advocated for trading Gallup if they picked a receiver. This video was back when the Cowboys were at 4 so not quite the same thing. I know they have mentioned it more but harder to find without knowing the specific videos. But it is important to consider the possibility that the best player on the board will be a receiver. Let's say 3 qbs go, 2 tackles, and 2 corners go top 10. That's entirely possible.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
Jeff said he would trade him for Juan Thornhill. Ah No!!! The Chiefs defense is so overrated. They are similar to the Rams with Jones and honey Badger. All the love I see for DLaw in his large salary I expect more.

Idk about which specific player would be best. Actually I would be open to almost any position on defense besides edge.

JeffInDC

Reaction score
Best Safety that I’ve seen NO ONE mention on here - Talanoa Hufanga from USC. Kid is a MONSTER (he can play ANYWHERE in the back 7 because of his instincts and play speed).

reddyuta

Reaction score
imo Safety should be prime target in FA,safety class doesnt seem that good this year.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Best Safety that I’ve seen NO ONE mention on here - Talanoa Hufanga from USC. Kid is a MONSTER (he can play ANYWHERE in the back 7 because of his instincts and play speed).

Pretty fun prospect...not sure he’s the back end guy that would be ideal but he seems to be a playmaker that would be an upgrade over Woods.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Pretty fun prospect...not sure he’s the back end guy that would be ideal but he seems to be a playmaker that would be an upgrade over Woods.
Big fan but not sure about his long speed and overall athleticism.

He's definitely a gamer.

He's a way better version of Barry Church to me.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Big fan but not sure about his long speed and overall athleticism.

He's definitely a gamer.

He's a way better version of Barry Church to me.

Yah I'm not sure...he appears to be have pretty good click and close ability but no idea on the long speed.

Not sure we want 2 SS types.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Woods will be back when no one else in the league offers him a dime.

Can see that coming a mile away.

His film is somewhere between awful and mediocre and he didn't help himself with his mouth.
Everyone said the same thing about Jeff Heath.

This board just really has no grasp on league-wide safety play. Woods is the same as like 20 other starters across the league.

John813

Reaction score
Probably going to be Reed Blankenship if stay the course