What are the chances Dallas is targeting S at #27?

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
What are the chances Dallas is targeting S at #27?

All Early indications are that Dallas is looking for OL early in the draft. Some are even speculating WR.

What we know for sure is that Dallas has targeted OL several times early in the draft and has largely come up empty outside of a few names like Adams, Gurode and potentially Free (if he develops and does not fade) over the last 10 or so years.

We also know that Jones loves looking at OL in round-2; Jerry Jones always pulls the Larry Allan card when making this argument.

We also read speculation that the pick may be WR, but even as recently as a week ago, Jones talks about the young WRs in house, and that he would sleep like a baby if we didn’t draft one.

Jerry Jones may be blowing smoke all the way around as to not tip his hand. But could it be that all this talk designed around OL and WR are to take the spotlight off the S position?

If you ask me, S is a clear area of need. Since Woodson Dallas has had bandaids at that position. Hamlin had a disappointing year, based on his ability, and Sensabaugh (sp?) was very average at times, and lacked focus in the last playoff game.

In fact, Dallas struggled with getting INTs once again this season. And if we look at the secondary, we see solid talent at the CB position. So the lack of INTs happens, I think, because teams pass away from our corners and towards our safeties, because the risk of INT is minimal.

What this tells me is that a true ball-hawking S has been missing from our roster for many, many years, and so I would not be surprised to see Dallas finally target one at the #27 pick, a spot where a true ball-hawker at the S position can easily be had in the draft.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
I can hear Jerry say that Hamlin had a subpar year due to injury...

Kangaroo

Reaction score
CowboyFan74;3255811 said:

We can start Allan Ball and pick up another solid Vet for Cheap to fill in for Balls' backup role.

Did you really see a drop off with Ball starting ?

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
CowboyFan74;3255811 said:

I doubt that because Jerry Jones could more easily make that argument, and has more incentive to make that apalogetic argument, with respect to RW11, but Jones has gone nowhere near that angle with him.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Kangaroo;3255816 said:
We can start Allan Ball and pick up another solid Vet for Cheap to fill in for Balls' backup role.

I really am starting to warm up to Ball, my only concern is durability and his small frame. We have Hamlin #2 waiting in the wings to don't we or is he a SS?

AMERICAS_FAN;3255817 said:
I doubt that because Jerry Jones could more easily make that argument, and has more incentive to make that apalogetic argument, with respect to RW11, but Jones has gone nowhere near that angle with him.

Maybe so but Hamlin didn't have near as bad a year as RW...

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
SLATEmosphere;3255809 said:
Do you know if the Cowboys are high on him?
Yeah, they are. He is not their only aim, but I think he's their favorite.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
CowboyFan74;3255821 said:
I really am starting to warm up to Ball, my only concern is durability and his small frame. We have Hamlin #2 waiting in the wings to don't we or is he a SS?

Maybe so but Hamlin didn't have near as bad a year as RW...

I understand the Concern not sure what spot the young Hamlin#2 will play but I still think we can add another vet Safety that can give us what old Hamlin did last year for cheaper to backup Ball

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
Kangaroo;3255816 said:

Allan Ball did not contribute to a decline or an upgrade at the S position. But that does not discount the achievement he made, which was to step up and basically steal the backup S position from Pat Watkins.

Ball is not the long-term answer at S. Dallas needs to greatly improve its defensive standing - from solid to absolutely dominating - by improving in the takeaway department.

They can do that by drafting correctly at S. The question is tohugh, are there any worthy ball-hawking Safeties going to be available whn Dallas picks at #27?

Eskimo

Reaction score
Hostile;3255798 said:
Iupati is the #1 aim.

But now there is talk of him playing LT. That is a far reach from where he played at LG in college.

If the talk is legit, now you have a guy who could be going top 10 and we don't have near enough ammunition draft wise to get up there.

We'll also never have the ammunition until we learn to start trading some vets for picks like the Patriots do. They are rebuilding their team while going 11-5. It's scary that they are going to get yet another top 5 pick when the Raiders suck again next year.

Eskimo

Reaction score
CowboyMcCoy;3255825 said:
This draft should be about the o-line and d-line. We need depth.

We don't need many DL in the 3-4, especially since the OLBs are the ones who play DE in the nickel with only two DL on the field.

I'm still waiting and hoping for the light to finally turn on for Hatcher. Bowen is alright, too. Spears is a RFA. Igor is signed for a few more years. The only position you could argue for is NT and I wouldn't mind picking up a late round prospect or a vet so w can upgrade Siavii.

Eskimo

Reaction score
AMERICAS_FAN;3255832 said:
Allan Ball did not contribute to a decline or an upgrade at the S position. But that does not discount the achievement he made, which was to step up and basically steal the backup S position from Pat Watkins.

Ball is not the long-term answer at S. Dallas needs to greatly improve its defensive standing - from solid to absolutely dominating - by improving in the takeaway department.

They can do that by drafting correctly at S. The question is tohugh, are there any worthy ball-hawking Safeties going to be available whn Dallas picks at #27?

There is probably someone there but the question is whether you can find who that someone is.

I think the big problem is that position is so much about film work, football intelligence and instincts that it is hard to measure.

If you are going to take a safety this high, you really want a guy with the cover skills to play CB. Otherwise, there is no point in taking one this high. The INT part is hard to project and is often a byproduct of scheme and pressure. Given how much we like to avoid giving up big plays and defend the run (which often takes a bit away from the pass rush) I don't know that we're ever going to get many INTs.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Eskimo;3255838 said:
But now there is talk of him playing LT. That is a far reach from where he played at LG in college.

If the talk is legit, now you have a guy who could be going top 10 and we don't have near enough ammunition draft wise to get up there.

We'll also never have the ammunition until we learn to start trading some vets for picks like the Patriots do. They are rebuilding their team while going 11-5. It's scary that they are going to get yet another top 5 pick when the Raiders suck again next year.
I think he stays anywhere from 20 to 25 if he goes before we pick.

Eskimo

Reaction score
Hostile;3255849 said:
I think he stays anywhere from 20 to 25 if he goes before we pick.

So is that talk about LT footwork mostly a bunch of BS?

If he's a legit RT, that could solve a lot of our problems if he dropped anywhere close to us.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Eskimo;3255851 said:
So is that talk about LT footwork mostly a bunch of BS?

If he's a legit RT, that could solve a lot of our problems if he dropped anywhere close to us.
I think he stays at LG and we end up with him.

Eskimo

Reaction score
Hostile;3255853 said:
I think he stays at LG and we end up with him.

IDK, it is hard to justify trading up to grab a Guard who is going to need a season to acclimate himself to the NFL. You usually want a guy who is going to make an impact right away when you trade up in the first.

Now if he falls to our pick, I could see grabbing him and letting him sit and learn for a year or at least half a season. We should have enough players to give him a nice transition to the pro game. He wasn't even playing at a D1 school, right?