What are the chances Dallas is targeting S at #27?

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
Eskimo;3255859 said:
IDK, it is hard to justify trading up to grab a Guard who is going to need a season to acclimate himself to the NFL. You usually want a guy who is going to make an impact right away when you trade up in the first.

Now if he falls to our pick, I could see grabbing him and letting him sit and learn for a year or at least half a season. We should have enough players to give him a nice transition to the pro game. He wasn't even playing at a D1 school, right?

Iupati would start day 1. He would certainly impact right away.

21Savage

newnationcb
Reaction score
Hostile;3255853 said:
I think he stays at LG and we end up with him.

The combine would decide that. I can see a Brandon Albert situation here. Never played tackle in college, buzz comes up after he works out that he had left tackle feet, next thing you know he's going 15th overall.

But I do think we're in an enviable position of not having a lot of dire needs to fill but still being able to literally pick the BPA at number 27 and having that player be an elite prospect.

Eskimo

Reaction score
SLATEmosphere;3255861 said:

I don't question the physical ability. I just wonder how he transitions to the complexity of the pro game. OL usually need some seasoning and he sounds like he will need more than most given how green he is and the fact he didn't play D1 ball. Now if we were talking about him playing CB, DL or RB it is a different story as the complexity of the position drops considerably.

Consider Mike Jenkins who even played D1 ball at Cornerback - still went through a steep learning curve because of all the new techniques and schemes he had to run here.

He certainly does look like a specimen out there and he moves great in space. I would love to have him but I doubt he drops enough to get within striking distance. I also doubt anyone keeps him at Guard with that frame and those long arms. He looks every bit the part of a prototypical LT (don't know about the pass blocking footwork in which case prototypical RT).

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Hostile;3255830 said:
Yeah, they are. He is not their only aim, but I think he's their favorite.

Do you think they would leave him at Guard or move him to Tackle???

I know he played Guard in college, but alot of draft reports say the NFL scouts see him more suited to playing tackle.

Whats your take on this Hostile???

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
SLATEmosphere;3255861 said:

Hey Slate, whats up buddy.

Is Iupati really that good, I never watched any of his games in college??? You think he could beat out Kosier at LG his rookie year???

Skinsmaniac

Boycotting Snyder since 2009
Reaction score
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Earl Thomas. I think he's every bit as good a safety as Berry.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Skinsmaniac;3255938 said:
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Earl Thomas. I think he's every bit as good a safety as Berry.
Won't last until we pick at 27. We sure as hell better not be trading up for a safety either.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Beast_from_East;3255931 said:
Do you think they would leave him at Guard or move him to Tackle???

I know he played Guard in college, but alot of draft reports say the NFL scouts see him more suited to playing tackle.

Whats your take on this Hostile???
I think he would play LG for us but I could see him at LT as well.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
AMERICAS_FAN;3255797 said:
What are the chances Dallas is targeting S at #27?

All Early indications are that Dallas is looking for OL early in the draft. Some are even speculating WR.

What we know for sure is that Dallas has targeted OL several times early in the draft and has largely come up empty outside of a few names like Adams, Gurode and potentially Free (if he develops and does not fade) over the last 10 or so years.

We also know that Jones loves looking at OL in round-2; Jerry Jones always pulls the Larry Allan card when making this argument.

We also read speculation that the pick may be WR, but even as recently as a week ago, Jones talks about the young WRs in house, and that he would sleep like a baby if we didn’t draft one.

Jerry Jones may be blowing smoke all the way around as to not tip his hand. But could it be that all this talk designed around OL and WR are to take the spotlight off the S position?

If you ask me, S is a clear area of need. Since Woodson Dallas has had bandaids at that position. Hamlin had a disappointing year, based on his ability, and Sensabaugh (sp?) was very average at times, and lacked focus in the last playoff game.

In fact, Dallas struggled with getting INTs once again this season. And if we look at the secondary, we see solid talent at the CB position. So the lack of INTs happens, I think, because teams pass away from our corners and towards our safeties, because the risk of INT is minimal.

What this tells me is that a true ball-hawking S has been missing from our roster for many, many years, and so I would not be surprised to see Dallas finally target one at the #27 pick, a spot where a true ball-hawker at the S position can easily be had in the draft.

I would think it would depend on who is still out there at 27. Should one of the top safeties slip to 27 Dallas very well could grab a safety.

reddyuta

Reaction score
the chances of JJ drafting a Safety with our 1st pick is higher than drafting a guard going by past history.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
reddyuta;3256080 said:
the chances of JJ drafting a Safety with our 1st pick is higher than drafting a guard going by past history.

Looking at this franchise history Dallas in all their years of existence has only drafted an OL in the 1st rd once.

newlander

Reaction score
Normally I don't think "past history has anything to do with future success" or in this case present PICKS, but Doomsday and others are right... it doesn't fit this organization's philosophy to pick olinemen that high...but it probably should after watching us get mauled against MInny. This Iupati kid that Hos and others are ga ga over sounds like the kind of mean spirited, nasty, space eating SOB we need right now........just sayin'.............

Doomsday101

Reaction score
newlander;3256109 said:
Normally I don't think "past history has anything to do with future success" or in this case present PICKS, but Doomsday and others are right... it doesn't fit this organization's philosophy to pick olinemen that high...but it probably should after watching us get mauled against MInny. This Iupati kid that Hos and others are ga ga over sounds like the kind of mean spirited, nasty, space eating SOB we need right now........just sayin'.............

I agree while this franchise even before Jerry did not spend 1st rd picks on Olineman that does not mean I would pass a top lineman up if they are there at our pick. Worse thing we can do though is select a lineman in the 1st who is not graded high enough on our board. In other words if I have safety who is grading out much higher when our selection comes then I take the safety. I tend to believe BPA who fills a need and while OL is cearly a need we have other areas that also need to be addressed or upgraded.

gmoney112

Reaction score
Unless Earl Thomas falls to us, slim and none.

The OL talent in this draft is so deep that even at 27 we will get very good value with our pick along the OL. Unless something crazy drops to us, I don't see us going any other route. This is the draft to take lineman if you can afford too.

The Realist

Reaction score
I hate the level of competition argument.

Iupati plays in same conference Michael Roos came from

Jhari Evans is All Pro.

Todd Herramans?

Who did LA and Erik Williams face at Sonoma State and Central State.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
gmoney112;3256157 said:
Unless Earl Thomas falls to us, slim and none.

The OL talent in this draft is so deep that even at 27 we will get very good value with our pick along the OL. Unless something crazy drops to us, I don't see us going any other route. This is the draft to take lineman if you can afford too.

Chances are your right however each year some players unexpectedly drop on draft day. As you said the OL is deep that also means you will find good value in the 2nd rd if the guy you are looking for in the 1st rd is not there. In my view the worst thing we can do is reach for a position, if your guy is there at 1 take him if not go with your draft board

burmafrd

Reaction score
depends on how much of a reach you are talking about. If a guy is rated in the middle part of the rd but you have your pick at the beginning I do not consider that much of a reach.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
burmafrd;3256261 said:
depends on how much of a reach you are talking about. If a guy is rated in the middle part of the rd but you have your pick at the beginning I do not consider that much of a reach.

I agree however if for instance I have a safety who I have rated higher who is stilling at that spot then logic tells me to go with the player I have rated higher. Both area would fill a need. I hope we do get one of the top Olineman fall our way but I keep seeing people saying who will be on the board at 27 and who will not fact is outside the top 5 players selected there is no telling where any player may fall. Every year we see guys falling and rising at this stage no one really knows

The Natural

Reaction score
I hope they consider looking at safety, especially if any of the guys being mentioned at OL will be available in the 2nd Round. Two guys I like out of Miami: S Randy Phillips, and LB Darryl Sharpton. If OL is indeed the top priority I'd like to see Jerry roll the dice one of the two later in the draft

newlander

Reaction score
who said level of competition is a consideration? Ask Larry Allen about that, and Erik Williams, and well...you get the drift.