What are you pros and cons of Deuce Vaughn

calicowboy54

Reaction score
I recommend watching a few of his college games.
i did, he was amazing. i just know he's going to get knocked around at that size. in NFL size does matter. i think he's Shifty enough to dodge most 98% of the hits but if he's looking left or right and someone hits him from the other side w/out him seeing it and they are a foot taller 100+lbs more i think he's got the possibility of getting injured based on his lack of size.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The biggest enigma I've ever seen in the draft. He's got all the skills to make him a can't miss prospect with a body type that tells you he can't play in the league.

Heck if I know.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Con-
You leave in in pass pro and a 275 lb DE picks him up and throws him into Dak; Prescott then misses yet more extended time due to injury because someone in the front office thought it would be a hoot to draft a 5’6 gadget player and give him real responsibilities

Pro-
You run Hide the Midget over and over again:

Plankton

Reaction score
PROS
Quick cutting back who gets to top acceleration quickly
Low center of gravity helps him in breaking tackles
Shows some ability to run inside, but makes his living on his shiftiness in the open field
Shows ability as a downfield receiving threat, and will also allow the screen game to thrive
Possible contributor as a kickoff returner
Good ball security despite lack of size, with only 3 fumbles in 774 touches at KSU

CONS
Will be a liability in pass protection due to lack of size
Not going to be a workhorse back, and will have difficulties running inside
Had a lot of touches in college - how much tread has been taken off the tires?

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Pro's:
  • Shifty and Compact will get lost behind the line of scrimmage the way Barry Sanders used too.
  • Great receiver with run the cole beasely routes and great on screens.
  • good at reading blocks and knowing where to go.

Con's:
  • small 170 right now needs 20 - 30lbs of muscle added to get up to 190-200 to take the punishment. If he does, how much speed quickness does he loose.
  • cannot pass block due to size issues. Again needs to add more size.
  • about as tall as most nfl players waist so he's going to get his head taken off a few times. hopefully he's not in concussion protocol by the end of the 1st game.
Vaughn actually weighs almost 10 pounds more the 170 you said. At the combine, he weighed 179. So he only needs about 10 pounds to be at 190. Obviously, he only needs 20 to be 200 pounds, but I don’t think the team would want or ask him to be 200.

I think by year 2 he should be somewhere between 185-190. I expect him to add 5 to 10 pounds in the next year… and really, with his height, that should be plenty.

He is still short of course, but I just wanted to point out that you were taking almost 10 pounds away from his current weight.

And he won’t be at waist height for other players. While he is short, at 5’6” he’s only two inches shorter than Barry Sanders (5’8”) and only 3 inches shorter than Emmitt Smith (5’9”).

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Pros - all his football skills and production

Cons - his height

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I'm going to be very honest. I was thinking they were going Chase Brown in the 5th. Then they got Scott Jr., who I admittedly wrote off after peeping his 40 time. Most of the tape I saw was Jalen Tolbert burning him in college, too. So I wasn't thinking Eric Scott. I have a feeling that was an oversight. But I also wasn't looking at CBs. I did like that guy from Utah, Clark Phillips.

Vaughn in the 6th makes sense, though. I just didn't see it coming, as much writing was on the wall. It would have been nice to have him in San Fran...

That would have been right up there with the fastest top speeds recorded during the 2022 NFL season -

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl...-hill-kenneth-walker/g1chziwdaopndmlb0ghxheqk

He's probably only getting faster, too.

T-RO

Reaction score
It's physics:
The lower your center of gravity, the easier it is to quickly change direction. He's an ankle-breaking machine.

It's optics:
The shorter you are behind behemoths, the harder it is to track your location.

This kid's not breaking anything but arm tackles. But often, that's all defenders will be able to offer.

One vital requirement for his success: he'll never do squat on plays where the line doesn't offer some daylight. You can run him inside or outside, but if they can't give him a window, it's gonna be ugly.

deerhunter11

Reaction score
I am looking forward to seeing deuce play,throw the ball to him on screen plays and use him like we used Beasley and he could be fun to watch

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
His diminutive size allows him to hide among the giants and surprise them. Ever watch the behemoths trying to find a small back? And a small and very quick back is the double whammy.

He is going to be an exciting player and will end up being the fan favorite of all the picks.

stinkface

Reaction score
Con, he is the same height as my 4th grade teacher Mrs Mangum. Pro is he is considerably faster then her. Course she was 51 at the time.

calicowboy54

Reaction score
His diminutive size allows him to hide among the giants and surprise them. Ever watch the behemoths trying to find a small back? And a small and very quick back is the double whammy.

He is going to be an exciting player and will end up being the fan favorite of all the picks.
Emmett & Barry were 5,8 or 5,9 and he hid behind the line well. but they also were 200+ lbs of muscle and could take a hit. i’m still worrying about a 5,6” 180 lb guy i know it’s 3 inches and 20lbs of muscle. only time will tell. i’m rooting for the kid and praying for him at the same time.