What are your game day traditions?

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
Wake up way too early, especially if it’s opening day, because I can’t sleep, too excited.

Walk over to the closet and figure out which jersey I’m putting on, put it on while the wife picks out hers, then put jerseys on the kids and the Rottweiler and German Shepard.

Then it’s cooking up those star and helmet shaped pancakes, a raw egg omelette for the dogs, while listening to ESPN radio on the amazon echo and watching the pregame shows on mute.

We usually don’t play at noon, so that means either putting ribs on or making meatballs while watching the early games and playing with the kids. Beer may also be drunk.

Cattle_Rancher

Reaction score
Wake up watch some pregame shows might get bored take a nap wake up see who is on early games if Cowboys watch them if not flick back and forth. If Cowboys are on later take a nap in second half of early game see the end of early game watch afternoon game if Cowboys on SNF or MNF might catch another nap call up some ole girl see what she doing tell her bring me some food and pay her some attention between end of afternoon game and SNF watch a little of the SNF pregame show watch SNF then watch some post games on NFL Network.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Game day bloody mary. Post my prediction on facebook and tag 10 fellow dallas fans. 2 friends reply back with the same comment each week. If they don’t comment in a timely fashion I test them and remind them. If any part of this breaks down I don’t like our chances for a W. All very scientific...

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
BBQ, craft beer, friends and family, Cowboy cap and jersey.
Oh, a chicken wire fence between me and the TV to catch the beer bottles for bad announcers, bad ref calls, and bad plays!
:muttley:
Ha,Ha,Ha,,,,our good friend&forum fellow of fandom @GORICO really ought to be taking notes from your post:lmao:

*,,,er,,,although, he plays with a .45 acp on bad game dayso_O

:starspin::muttley::starspin:

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
My tradition is to get really pissed, curse and act like a total jackwagon then make my wife mad at me, to which she will hold a grudge for the next 3 days. Then next Sunday rolls around and I try to be better behaved but eventually fail and repeat the entire process. Good times. Lets go COWBOYS!
I relate to this so much.

My fiance has no concept of leaving me the hell alone when I'm furious at the Cowboys. I got black out drunk during the Divisional Round playoff game (I thought for sure we were going to win after Cooper's TD in the first quarter and was absolutely inconsolable when we lost). Instead of just letting me blow off some steam, she got up all in my grill about being drunk, which made me even more pissed. Needless to say, I got the three day grudge as well. Hell of a hangover too.

JMech

Reaction score
Game day bloody mary. Post my prediction on facebook and tag 10 fellow dallas fans. 2 friends reply back with the same comment each week. If they don’t comment in a timely fashion I test them and remind them. If any part of this breaks down I don’t like our chances for a W. All very scientific...

What can I say, you're a loser.

Use science in determining our chances........spin the bottle, or the bloody mary.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
From what some have written, and in the past as well on this topic, I picture a bunch of Danny Bateman's sitting there just waiting for the game to start. And I used to be one.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
It depends on how I'm watching the game. If I'm going to the game I get up early and get on the road as I have about a 150-minute drive to the stadium. I usually stay the night if I'm going to the game because I like to get there early to do the tailgate party thing and a little celebrating after the game if we win. I'm usually too tired to drive back safely the same day. If I'm watching the game in the man cave, we usually cook something special and invite the family over. My media room/man cave can accommodate 40 viewers and my friends and adult children and their families usually fill those spaces pretty quickly at kickoff. Homemade fried chicken with all the fixings is a common meal on game day.

Last edited:

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
Plenty of good food and snacks obviously as well as a good amount of SILENCE.

Nothing irks me more than family members coming into the room while the game is on and yakking about this or that.
"Hey did you taste the pie that Aunt so and so made" to another family member.

Me, "Get out"

:laugh::laugh:

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Plenty of good food and snacks obviously as well as a good amount of SILENCE.

Nothing irks me more than family members coming into the room while the game is on and yakking about this or that.
"Hey did you taste the pie that Aunt so and so made" to another family member.

Me, "Get out"

:laugh::laugh:
That's the advantage of a man cave. There are rules to enter, and I kick out those for the slightest infraction. It's good to be the king.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
What can I say, you're a loser.

Use science in determining our chances........spin the bottle, or the bloody mary.

You are one of the 10 losers I tag! And you KNOW the science behind the bloody mary is ROCK solid!

JayFord

Reaction score
I used to wear my blue cowboys hat On game day but we ended up something like 0-8 when I wore it

Now I just don’t have one ......and we’ve done much better like 13-3,12-4,10-6 better

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In an attempt to survive the lull before training camp, I'm wondering what your game day traditions are.

Game days, for basically all of my life, have involved a bag of chips, soda and the TV. Well, and I've always been the "signal" guy. When I was little, I was the one who had to stand next to the TV to move the rabbit ears if we lost the signal. Now I'm the one who has to find the game streaming somewhere online if we loose the signal. I always watched the game with my dad..or called him when we lived too far away. My wife would join in sometime later. I guess as reward for me doing most of the cooking at home, my wife has always made sure I have an abundant supply of chips and soda during the game. The last 10 years or so I have been grilling before the games, too.

My traditional game day routine isn't that extravagant. But I always look forward to the games.

What's your routine?

OH...and as an aside...I want to let you all know that I am pretty sure I can guarantee a Superbowl victory this year. I found my 1992 Cowboys t-shirt in a bin in the attic and plan on wearing it on game days. It's still in great shape even though it seems to have shrunk while sitting in the attic. I'm sure it's not the chips and soda.

I've told this story here before, but I'll repeat the short version in light of your "signal" guy story.

Back in the early eighties, the games would at times get blacked out.
The local DFW stations could not broadcast the Cowboys game if blacked out.
There were stations in Waco and Abilene that were outside the blackout area.
We had a big antenna mounted on a 1.5" pipe that extended to the ground.
The pipe was attached to the house through a cylinder such that it could rotate.
My Dad would turn the Antenna with a pipe wrench.
I would watch the TV to "tune" to the other stations.
My Mom had to relay the signal between the two of us.​

We were able to watch the games; although the signal was not great.

Sears had a remote Antenna controller for $60 that I wanted, however...
My Dad would never spend $60 on something like that.
Many girlfriends and their families over the years have tried to get me to do things like holiday lunches (usually at their houses) during Cowboy games; however, I've always refused. I consider it a tribute to my Dad not to be manipulated into missing the games.