CFZ What are your plusses and minuses?

fivetwos

Reaction score
I could get on board with the idea of purging underperforming contracts, but that doesn't at all fall in line with wanting to give Gregory 5/70 and tagging Schultz.

They desperately need to fix the run game and Schultz and Elliott make that near impossible for 2022.

I say that fully expecting to draft a TE and RB that are easily better than Schultz/Elliott but will not play over them in 2022.

So...my hope is kinda already into 2023

We aren't winning by featuring Prescotts arm. We need to be a run first team. If that happens Prescott is capable of at least having a good shot. Otherwise, no.

jujoboys

Reaction score
Let's start things off on a positive:

Pluses:

1) Keeping Dan Quinn
2) Bringing in Brian Schottenheimer - Hopefully he can help Kellen Moore run a more balanced offense
3) Keeping LVE - I know he is not popular among many posters but I think he really started playing better toward the end of the season
4) Messing up the Gregory contract and not signing him. He is just the type of player we don't need to commit to
5) Bringing Anger, Hooker, Kearse, Armstrong, McQuaide, Watkins, and Gallup back - I really thought we would lose Gallup, Anger, and Kearse so it was a pleasant surprise to see we retained those guys.
6) Cutting Zuerlein
7) Keeping Dalton Schultz - Not a big fan of the franchise tag we had to use but we couldn't afford to start completely from scratch at TE.
8) Cutting an overpaid and overhyped Blake Jarwin
9) Letting Connor Williams walk. This actually should have been #1 on the list
10) I think we got value and potential with the signings of James Washington and Dante Fowler
11) Working out an extension of sorts with DLaw. I know some on this board don't like him but if we lose him the DE position is on life support.

Negatives

1) Losing Gregory out to the contract he got was not a negative imo. However, not finding a suitable replacement for him was definitely a negative. By not signing a legit DE to play opposite DLaw we will probably have to use Parsons more as a DE. Hopefully it doesn't force the team to reach in the draft out of desperation for a DE. The money they were willing to spend on Gregory should have gone to another capable DE.
2) Cutting La'el Collins without having a plan in place to replenish our depth. I am not a big La'el Collins fan. In fact, he is the type of player that I would like to see removed from the team. However, you needed a replacement for him depth wise before you make a move like that. What happens if Steele gets hurt or struggles? No back up plan in place as far as I can tell at RT.
3) Not addressing LG in free agency. We have a starting spot on our OLine that doesn't have a legitimate player on the squad to fill. McGovern looked awful last year. Worse than C Williams.
4) Cutting Amari Cooper. I feel he should have been kept and we could have done a restructure similar to what Cleveland did. I don't like the fact that i think he was cut because he rubbed Jerrah the wrong way and Jerrah used the cap dollars as an excuse to pull the trigger.
5) Do we have a swing tackle? No, we don't. Not unless they see Josh Ball as the answer. Tyron is not playing 17 games. We need someone legit as a swing tackle.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Both posts 1 & 2 pretty much spot on with how I feel.

Cooper and Collins gone, makes less talented. however the cap savings may work out for the best in the long run. Maybe not an immediate impact, as the pluses may not be seen for a few years.
fans need to keep that in mind.
It will force them to do the right thing for the OL, in the draft, if a FA is not brought in.

They retained / signed, basically 10 to 12 players but losing Cooper and Gregory and Collins. Most wanted Gregory gone anyway, and it was going to be Cooper or Gallup, not both. Collins did not give much in the past few years. Actually Cooper did not either, not for the contract price anyway.

Adding Washington is a big plus IMO. Doesn't offset Cooper, but still not awful at WR.

Agree Fowler and Armstrong can replace Gregory, and more reliable. Though I think Armstrong may got more than he should have. But maybe he plays better than it also.
Key for me is what they do with the cap savings????

Jenky

Reaction score
Plus:

Re-signing Jayon Kearse
Re-signing Bryan Anger

Minus:

Stephen Jones (Penny pinching, lowballing, no urgency to make the team better)
Losing Cooper
Losing Wilson
Losing Collins
Tagging Schultz

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Let's start things off on a positive:

Pluses:

7) Keeping Dalton Schultz - Not a big fan of the franchise tag we had to use but we couldn't afford to start completely from scratch at TE.

This answer seems to rule out the possibility of signing one or more replacements which was certainly an option.

Negatives

1) Losing Gregory out to the contract he got was not a negative imo. However, not finding a suitable replacement for him was definitely a negative. By not signing a legit DE to play opposite DLaw we will probably have to use Parsons more as a DE. Hopefully it doesn't force the team to reach in the draft out of desperation for a DE. The money they were willing to spend on Gregory should have gone to another capable DE.

No mention of Dante Fowler who has had a more productive career compared to Gregory?

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I think they easily had the opportunity to pull that tag and sign someone else for a lot less money. Austin Hooper signed with the Titans for $6 million and Buffalo got OJ Howard for $3 million. Anyone want to argue that signing either or both would be better and cheaper than $11 million for Schultz? Bad use of resources on full display.

They can't keep their mouths shut. The entire world has to know what the Cowboys are planning to do, weeks before they do it. You hear Cowboys moves well in advance, the Adams and Hill deals you found out the day they happened. That's what separates the well run front offices from ours.
This last paragraph!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John813

Reaction score
Missing some but they have been repeated a few times:

Plus:
1. D-Law extension.
2. Losing Randy to the Broncos
3. Letting C-Will get a fresh start and not keeping him.
4. Kearse re-signed
5. Gallup deal looks good seeing now the elite guys in the upper 20's AAV.

TBD:

1. One year deals signed/re-signed to act as depth or stop gap starters(LVE/Fowler).
To go further on that, I don't mind that they signed those players, it's just that history has shown with SJ taking a larger role is that they go cheap in trying to shore up positions and really have to nail the draft for more impactful players.
I know being constant big spenders in FA isn't the answer either, but there is a short window with the remaining line pieces and a few years left of cheap contracts from Rookies like Parsons and Diggs. Windows to be aggressive to actually improve only happen so often.
Still some time left in FA/offseason and the NFL has been more trade "friendly" in recent times. They have the cap to acquire any later FA cuts or trades. We'll see. Not holding my breath.

Negatives:
1. Same ole FA routine. Last year was hailed as the most talented blah blah blah yet got bounced in the WC and so far they are treating the offseason as any other year. Doing the bare minimum to acquire players. Spending minimum as well. It's shown this and many other teams can get creative with contracts. But, they really do believe that they can ignore the FA market outside of dollar store deals and get by.
2. Thinking RG94 was the best edge on the market and giving him a 5yr-70 mil deal. Chandler Jones, Z Smith and others not only had a better track record as edge rushers but still were at that level and signed similar ballpark deals. They lost RG early then overpaid Armstrong and then another 1 year deal to Fowler. Quantity is great, but not much quality there.
3. I hope the Cooper/Collins releases weren't due to simply falling out of favor with the FO. We have a 5th round pick to show for the roster moves. Not like there's a cap issue/squeeze if we kept either one-minor adjustments could of been done to Coops deal for breathing room.
4. Schultz tag. I like the player, since he was drafted, but nothing about his game screams difference maker. He isn't a Witten level TE nor is he a dynamic TE like Gronk/Kelce/Andrews etc... I'd assume they like him enough to get a long term deal done at some point.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I could get on board with the idea of purging underperforming contracts, but that doesn't at all fall in line with wanting to give Gregory 5/70 and tagging Schultz.

They desperately need to fix the run game and Schultz and Elliott make that near impossible for 2022.

I say that fully expecting to draft a TE and RB that are easily better than Schultz/Elliott but will not play over them in 2022.

So...my hope is kinda already into 2023

We aren't winning by featuring Prescotts arm. We need to be a run first team. If that happens Prescott is capable of at least having a good shot. Otherwise, no.
Spot on . The idea of taking the hard decisions (Coop / La'el) and standing up to DLaw and admitting its restructure or cut is exactly what the team needed for 2023 and beyond and have taken the reset pill.
Agree the good work is then counteracted by false hope decisions that appear to oppose their strategic outlook (assuming they have one) ..... why spend $10m on a non blocking TE and if you're going to spend money on Gregory why do we throw away the whole strategy when he does the dirty....we go straight to Plan F.
The only thing I can suggest is that it's an our guy mentality.... Jerry wanting his mates back, rather than the positional need.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I normally lean to being pretty optimistic, although, a couple of days ago, the offseason dreariness got to me. I regret being pessimistic that day, although the extra drink of wine that I consumed did me no favors, whatsoever. I foolishly concocted a post that was pretty toxic. :oops:

Happy to say I've relented now and apologize to those who found that dreary post too pessimistic and untimely. At the time, I didn't realize that it was far too premature. Glad to report I'm feeling much better, now that I've recovered and am more likely to behave . . . :cool:

Last edited:

fivetwos

Reaction score
Spot on . The idea of taking the hard decisions (Coop / La'el) and standing up to DLaw and admitting its restructure or cut is exactly what the team needed for 2023 and beyond and have taken the reset pill.
Agree the good work is then counteracted by false hope decisions that appear to oppose their strategic outlook (assuming they have one) ..... why spend $10m on a non blocking TE and if you're going to spend money on Gregory why do we throw away the whole strategy when he does the dirty....we go straight to Plan F.
The only thing I can suggest is that it's an our guy mentality.... Jerry wanting his mates back, rather than the positional need.
Just posted elsewhere....

They seem to think Dak is as good as Rodgers and can win games himself.

I realize they over rate almost everyone that plays here but that's insane......and probably explains why they think they dont need to go the extra mile to get over the hump.

I'm OK with Prescott, and I'm not fully convinced it's impossible to win with him.....but it's gotta be a 2016 model.....not a Kellen Moore pass fest to pump up stats to mitigate any bad look on the Dak contract.

Let's finally all be fair.....the Dak haters need to stop using words like "never" or "impossible " because it isn't that.....and his supporters know damned well that he needs to step up his game.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Just posted elsewhere....

They seem to think Dak is as good as Rodgers and can win games himself.

I realize they over rate almost everyone that plays here but that's insane......and probably explains why they think they dont need to go the extra mile to get over the hump.

I'm OK with Prescott, and I'm not fully convinced it's impossible to win with him.....but it's gotta be a 2016 model.....not a Kellen Moore pass fest to pump up stats to mitigate any bad look on the Dak contract.

Let's finally all be fair.....the Dak haters need to stop using words like "never" or "impossible " because it isn't that.....and his supporters know damned well that he needs to step up his game.
Yep, I agree with you. I suppose that translates into the FO looking for a receiving corp that works with Dak (Schultz) as opposed to Coop (though it's only been 2021 that the chemistry was off).

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
NEGATIVES

The Coop deal was horrible... after free agency, he doesn't even look overpaid any more.

Straight-up cutting Lael Collins, a good player on a below-market contract.

I liked Randy Gregory, and losing him was horrible process.

Giving Gallup $27M guaranteed for a blown knee.

Franchising Schultz.

Letting Connor Williams go for a really cheap deal.

POSITIVES

Retaining Dan Quinn... I'm shocked he came back for another season.

Retaining Kellen Moore. He is light years beyond Garrett.

I liked the James Washington signing... we got him on a minimum salary deal AFAIK and he's clearly more talented than that.

Dante Fowler as a cheap salvage project. I like him at his salary, just hope we don't plan on starting him.

Re-signing Kearse was really good business.

Lowering D-Law's cap hit.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Yep, I agree with you. I suppose that translates into the FO looking for a receiving corp that works with Dak (Schultz) as opposed to Coop (though it's only been 2021 that the chemistry was off).
I just don't know.

I would at least try to talk myself into getting on board with whatever they are trying to do....because in the end I want to try to enjoy this (which is dumb, I get it, but it's what it's become)....

But it just seems like one move contradicts the other....which tells me each transaction is done in its own particular box instead of part of a plan.

As an example....is a 32 year old LB worth North of 10m a season at this stage?

In and of itself.....almost definitely not....

But would Bobby Wagner bring intangibles to the rest of the current Cowboys team and help it get much better than it is?.....almost definitely yes.

If they actually DO think that Prescott is like Rodgers in the sense that they only have to be meh around him.....none of the fine details mean a thing.

fivetwos

Reaction score
While I understand the tendencies of many to feel down about the offseason thus far, I can see some positives amidst the rubble. I don't think the offseason and free agency have been a total disaster, and I wanted to point out what I feel have been good moves and some that still have me scratching my head and get some opinions on what others think?

Here are my negatives:
  1. Trading away Cooper for a bag of magic beans. No sugar-coating it. The Cowboys gave away their best receiver for peanuts, especially when seeing what receivers like Tyreek Hill and Davante Adams fetched in their trades.
  2. Announcing to the world that you were 'done' with La'el Collins and ultimately cutting him. I know about the cap savings situation, and I also know that the Cowboys themselves created that cap situation too. They released one of the best right tackles in the league and got nothing for him.
  3. Franchise tagging Dalton Schultz. Sorry, but in no universe is Schultz a franchise player worthy of an $11 million cap hit this year. And he's not worth any big money multi-year contract going forward either. Teams like Buffalo are loading up for a championship run and getting guys like OJ Howard to be their #2 TE for a third of what the Cowboys are paying Schultz.
  4. Doing nothing thus far to improve a weakened offensive line. They were right to let Williams go, but they should be doing more to potentially upgrade at left guard and possibly center. There are some good options available, stop sitting on your hands!
Here are my positives:
  1. Swapping out Randy Gregory at $70 million for Dante Fowler for $3 million. Some try to criticize the Cowboys for 'screwing up' the Gregory deal but I think they did the right thing and not making that deal will ultimately turn out to be a blessing. Fowler is a better player on every level, and certainly less of a suspension risk.
  2. The James Washington deal. The team deserves credit for adding a good young receiver to their trio at a bargain price. He wanted to play close to home and the Cowboys wisely signed him. The guy was a former second round draft pick and highly regarded. For some reason, he got lost in the shuffle in Pittsburgh and hopefully that's not the case here.
  3. Retaining several defensive players at modest prices. The team was able to keep a good portion of its defense intact with several modest contracts. This is NOT saying that the defense is 'finished' or that it cannot be improved before anyone gets the wrong idea. But continuity is important, especially for a unit in its' first year together in a new system. And the team kept most of what they had, while leaving themselves the option to continue to add and improve in the draft.
  4. The new contract for Demarcus Lawrence. I see this as a win-win for player and team. And as someone who wanted Lawrence and his bloated contract gone, I've done a complete reversal after seeing both parties get a deal like this done.
I'd like to hear what others think? Are there some that you disagree with? Are there some positives or negatives that I've missed?
Great post and topic btw.

Well timed.

jrumann59

Reaction score
They can't keep their mouths shut. The entire world has to know what the Cowboys are planning to do, weeks before they do it. You hear Cowboys moves well in advance, the Adams and Hill deals you found out the day they happened. That's what separates the well run front offices from ours.

I think it could be the FO i think it could be the Agents, I mean Collins agent played hardball the day of the draft so Collins could go UDFA after falling out of the 1st round

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I just don't know.

I would at least try to talk myself into getting on board with whatever they are trying to do....because in the end I want to try to enjoy this (which is dumb, I get it, but it's what it's become)....

But it just seems like one move contradicts the other....which tells me each transaction is done in its own particular box instead of part of a plan.

As an example....is a 32 year old LB worth North of 10m a season at this stage?

In and of itself.....almost definitely not....

But would Bobby Wagner bring intangibles to the rest of the current Cowboys team and help it get much better than it is?.....almost definitely yes.

If they actually DO think that Prescott is like Rodgers in the sense that they only have to be meh around him.....none of the fine details mean a thing.
I get the impression it's a basic - Schultz good for Dak(75%) comp rate, Coop bad (62%), which supports your belief that the FO think too highly about Dak....then again it maybe the idea that playing receiver by cheaper committee (Gallup/Schultz) is better than paying one under performing WR1.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I get the impression it's a basic - Schultz good for Dak(75%) comp rate, Coop bad (62%), which supports your belief that the FO think too highly about Dak....then again it maybe the idea that playing receiver by cheaper committee (Gallup/Schultz) is better than paying one under performing WR1.
Sounds about right.

For me it comes down to Coopers agent allowed a structure that was team friendly and they got roasted in the other deals.

If it came down to say, Cooper or Elliott, it would be a no brainer....but contract structure beats all else.