What are your thoughts on Ron Rivera as Defensive Coordinator?

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If Quinn gets the Washington, I think this is the likely hire. A downside here is that outide of the last 5 games when he took over for Del Rio, he hasn't been a DC since 2010.

When he was a DC, he was very highly regarded and known for being flexible with systems. His first DC was in Chicago where he ran a Tampa 2. After that he was in SD where he ran a 3-4.

Here is an article with a summary of his record as a DC

https://sports.yahoo.com/look-ron-rivera-track-record-104537491.html

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Rivera is just like Wade Phillips. A good DC but bad HC.
Actually, no DC can match Wade Phillips's first 1-2 years with a team. It's years 3-4 his defense starts coming apart ( he puts that damn hand on his hip like he didn't it coming :lmao2: ) But you want immediate short results.......Wade's your man (lol)

Oh, BTW......he will go after the HC job (LOL)

rangers71

Reaction score
Hell no but this is the route they would go. Perfect in house replacement for Mike when he gets fired next year. No one wants this guy but we will act like he is the second coming of Tom Landry.

RS12

Reaction score
What i dont want is Rivera next in line as HC when the MM era ends. He seems like a guy that would make Jerry comfortable. We all know how that ends.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Hell no but this is the route they would go. Perfect in house replacement for Mike when he gets fired next year. No one wants this guy but we will act like he is the second coming of Tom Landry.
Which we did with Quinn the last two years. People wanting to promote Quinn so we didnt lose him

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
What i dont want is Rivera next in line as HC when the MM era ends. He seems like a guy that would make Jerry comfortable. We all know how that ends.
One question I have with River is why take a DC job after being a HC for the last 13 years. He could probably make more money on TV. My guess is he sees it as a potential launching pad with a lame duck HC. You have to be concerned what the working relationship with McCarthy could be like. Could be messy like 2019

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
If Quinn gets the Washington, I think this is the likely hire. A downside here is that outide of the last 5 games when he took over for Del Rio, he hasn't been a DC since 2010.

When he was a DC, he was very highly regarded and known for being flexible with systems. His first DC was in Chicago where he ran a Tampa 2. After that he was in SD where he ran a 3-4.

Here is an article with a summary of his record as a DC

https://sports.yahoo.com/look-ron-rivera-track-record-104537491.html
I think he's become too nice of a person or something, I need a DC to look mean, i'll take a pass right now. If he would sign, I guess I have to deal with it just like you!!