What are your thoughts on Ron Rivera as Defensive Coordinator?

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
rather have a younger guy or at least a guy with more recent experience as a successful DC in this league with creative offenses.
maybe when SF wins the big game they'll have a coach or 2 available

quickccc

Reaction score
If Quinn gets the Washington, I think this is the likely hire. A downside here is that outide of the last 5 games when he took over for Del Rio, he hasn't been a DC since 2010.

When he was a DC, he was very highly regarded and known for being flexible with systems. His first DC was in Chicago where he ran a Tampa 2. After that he was in SD where he ran a 3-4.

Here is an article with a summary of his record as a DC

https://sports.yahoo.com/look-ron-rivera-track-record-104537491.html

I believe Rivera was the DC in Chicago under Lovie Smith the HC, and Lovie ran and wanted the Tampa 2 ..

Rivera and Bob Babish (sp) were the DC's that had to implement Tampa 2, . - And i have my skeptics of that defense scheme..

Did Rivera run the 3-4 scheme via Chargers cuz the HC wanted that scheme ? Or was it about Rivera' preference ?

I would think Rivera seems to specialize in 4-3 schemes per Washington, Chicago and Carolina
Frankly I'm mixed about it now as it's been awhile since he was a true DC and he'd have to scheme Parsons to best of his
ability. He can't do to Parsons , what Lovie Smith did Brian Urlacher in Chi-town.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Our young defense at one point had a DOG mentality, I don't want them to lose that
We need tougher dogs, not hollywood puppies. We need a tea mentality, not individual stardome.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I would rather have Vrabel than Rivera if Quinn leaves.
well, everyone in here sure has an opinion on who they rather have here's the thing, do they want to be here and does the FO think they are a fit,,.that what interviews are for.. i mean which one of these guys that are being named in here can devise a scheme and a game plan with our current roster with a few changes via draft and FA to make it better? can they turn it around immediately in one offseason?

I think Vrabel is the best option hes seems to have done more with less and known to be very in tune to devise tough run stopping physical d and an offense to be complimentary., so he appreciated trying to work with an offense vs just do his thing no matter what..

MM was blindsided with DQs D this year falling way off AND dq not seemingly having an answer to improve it.. i mean mike McCarthy literally had to go to a high-risk offense and open it up and try and outscore teams score for score not being able to trust the D all the way until the end and it blew up.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Well there is an additional factor I think of when a coach is coming to work for Jerry.

Is he tough enough to overcome Jerry's infection of softness he spreads throughout the organization? I think Zim is and Ron is too nice.

BTW neither would be my top choice, but if they are my only options I'll take Mike.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
Just wondering: - What is the difference between Zimmer vs Rivera ?
Zimmer defense
4-3 base scheme, use of 4-2-5 nickel package in passing situations
primarily press-man
extensive blitz variations, signature double-A gap blitz formation, does not blitz frequently
Stop the run first mentality

Rivera
4-3 and 3-4 scheme
Use of 3-3-5 packages in passing situations
more linebackers in coverage
more drop Zone coverage.
Not a big of a blitzer

805BoysInBlue

Reaction score
Why are the Cowboys against hiring a young guy? Why all these has been coaches? These guys are available for a reason. The games passed them up and they didn't evolve with it.

Brax

Reaction score
If Quinn gets the Washington, I think this is the likely hire. A downside here is that outide of the last 5 games when he took over for Del Rio, he hasn't been a DC since 2010.

When he was a DC, he was very highly regarded and known for being flexible with systems. His first DC was in Chicago where he ran a Tampa 2. After that he was in SD where he ran a 3-4.

Here is an article with a summary of his record as a DC

https://sports.yahoo.com/look-ron-rivera-track-record-104537491.html
Another has been

quickccc

Reaction score
Zimmer defense
4-3 base scheme, use of 4-2-5 nickel package in passing situations
primarily press-man
extensive blitz variations, signature double-A gap blitz formation, does not blitz frequently
Stop the run first mentality

Rivera
4-3 and 3-4 scheme
Use of 3-3-5 packages in passing situations
more linebackers in coverage
more drop Zone coverage.
Not a big of a blitzer
Which does not seem to speak volume and endorsement in how Parsons will be used and schemed.

Blitzing and pass rush is what makes Parsons special and a war daddy.

And it's not just how often and number of blitzing, but also designing how a DC will be blitzing.

Blitzing is also a big part of Donovan Wilson's game.